Why does everybody want Willie gone so bad?

SoxPhan7

Maybe i am missing something, but can some one explain to me why Willie NEEDS to be traded?

I think he would be a perfect bench player, someone who could come in for late inning

defensive replacement or pinch run and steal a base when neccessary. (i know he cant steal

bases but with SPod and Tim Raines training him I am hoping for the best) Or even come in to

pinch run for a man on third when a sac fly is needed. Or maybe just maybe get a bunt down in a

situation when it is pertenent. i know a lot of that is wishful thinking that he has improved (the

stealing and bunting) But it seems like he has to much speed, something you cant teach just to

get rid of. And frankly, i dont think there is a huge demand for a Willie Harris right now. But if I

am missing something please share.

Nick

Add me to the list of not wanting Willie Harris out of here. I like his effort, and would liked to have seen him get more of a chance. I see hope for Willie, but unfortunately I don't think we will see much more of him on the South Side. Though the writing is on the wall for Harris to pack his bags, I want to make it known that I think he got a raw deal here. Only 26 years old, and showing signs of life (unlike Joe Borchard), Willie Harris you will be missed.

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
Maybe i am missing something, but can some one explain to me why Willie NEEDS to be traded?

I think he would be a perfect bench player, someone who could come in for late inning

defensive replacement or pinch run and steal a base when neccessary. (i know he cant steal

bases but with SPod and Tim Raines training him I am hoping for the best) Or even come in to

pinch run for a man on third when a sac fly is needed. Or maybe just maybe get a bunt down in a

situation when it is pertenent. i know a lot of that is wishful thinking that he has improved (the

stealing and bunting) But it seems like he has to much speed, something you cant teach just to

get rid of. And frankly, i dont think there is a huge demand for a Willie Harris right now. But if I

am missing something please share.

Nick

I wondered if I was missing something too> I think Willie has a lot of upside. Remains to be seen just what role the Willie ends up playing for the Sox or if he is traded as some speculate. I do think Willie plays hard and has shown improvement. I am certain though that he won't start. Paying a Japanese player like Tad I. $2.5M a year guarantees he won't be sitting on the bench. Willie can play CF or 2B and pinch run. I don't think he can play SS, but maybe they will try and teach him a bit about that position. We are in need of an IF sub to lay the role Uribe did last year.

go to the iguchi thread up top, that's what we're talking about now.

I for one, would keep willie on the bench.

why not?

He could pinch run, be a decent pinch hitter....and doesn't cost alot.

It's not like your going to get alot in return if you trade him.

I understand why everyone wants to trade him. The reason people want him gone is because

-he hits terrible against lefties

-we need a UIF and willie only plays second

-there is no guarantee he will improve substantially on the basepaths

-he might have decent trade value to pick up a UIF or a good prospect.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
I understand why everyone wants to trade him.  The reason people want him gone is because

-he hits terrible against lefties

-we need a UIF and willie only plays second

-there is no guarantee he will improve substantially on the basepaths

-he might have decent trade value to pick up a UIF or a good prospect.

And plain and simple.. he just don't listen!!

Is there a place you can get stats on what a guy did as a PH? From what I remember, Willie was absolutely BRUTAL coming off the bench last year. As a matter of fact, it seems that the most common excuse for Willie's struggles last season was the fact that he didn't get consistent playing time.

He can run but can't steal. He can bunt into foul territory pretty well. He offers little to no upgrade defensively at either position he can play. He's got a bad attitude, the Leon of the White Sox. The fact that some of you believe he has upside still is a perfect reason to trade him now, before he's 30 yrs old and still a flop.

If Willie could play effectively at SS, which he can't because of his arm strength, I could see keeping him on the roster. Otherwise, with the current makeup of this team, he serves no purpose whatsoever.

Willie is not a good bench player. He doesn't seem to hit well coming off the bench...atleast it seems that way to me.

If we have him on the team, he should be getting consistent playing time. I think the only reason we would have him is as insurance in case Iguchi is not an improvement over what we got from Willie last year.

Sigh.

Where to start ...

1. It certainly appears many Sox personnel and those associated with the team feel he rubs people the wrong way and is a clubhouse ... problem.

2. He's not a bench player, he really only played well when he got lots of playing time.

3. Iguchi was not brought here to platoon, not at $2.4M per yr.

4. Harris can't play the other IF positions.

5. He has acknowledged trouble bunting.

6. He struggles stealing bases.

7. See #1

I'll make it real simple. If he can't play short he's a waste of space.

Do we need speed off the bench? No. There are only 4 guys on this team who don't have good speed: Thomas, Koney, Crede, & AJP. The rest have good enough speed to either swipe or base, score from 3rd on an infield hit, or score from 2nd on a duck snort.

Can he play short? I don't know. To be honest I don't know how any guy can play both CF & 2B & not be qualified as a full utility player. Back in the day the OFers with the best arm played CF. The IFer with the best arm played 3B, & the IFers with the best quickness played SS, & 2B. Again arm strength decided that.

So how can Harris be considered a strong armed CFer with adequate quickness to play 2B & not be considered an UIF? Is he a head case?

Yes. He is.

The guy is 26, and played his first full year in the bigs. He wholeheartedly believes he can hit .300+ and steal 60 bags a year.

I have yet to see him prove anything near that. It's one thing if you're a highly touted prospect to think as such. Willie is not that guy.

I personally like the guy. I think he got the shaft here in Chicago, but I guess people will never admit that. He only played one full season. His defense is good enough to play backup short or starting 2b. His offense against righties was decent considering he was a rookie and I think he can still improve alot. I see him hitting .300 and having 40 sb's in 2 more years. It's just the White Sox aren't willing to work with him.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
How do you disagree?  He is super fast yet only had 19 SB.

19 SB's isn't terrible, considering he was yanked in and out of the lineup day in, day out.

It's my belief that stealing bases is a thing of confidence. If you're confident, you can look like an all-star doing it. If you're not confident, you'll look silly. Isn't that, in part, why Raines and Podsednik were brought in? To get Willie some confidence (Obviously, that's to a lesser extent now with Iguchi here, but still, Raines and Podsednik are going to teach Willie a thing or two).

19 SB's isn't terrible, considering he was yanked in and out of the lineup day in, day out.

It's my belief that stealing bases is a thing of confidence.  If you're confident, you can look like an all-star doing it.  If you're not confident, you'll look silly.  Isn't that, in part, why Raines and Podsednik were brought in?  To get Willie some confidence (Obviously, that's to a lesser extent now with Iguchi here, but still, Raines and Podsednik are going to teach Willie a thing or two).

Keith, it won't happen. Harris won't be here, unless I'm very wrong and very shocked.

Right or wrong, Ozzie has moved out the guys he's got issues with. Clearly, that includes Harris.

You can't teach speed and Willie definitely has it. I don't want him traded because I think you can teach better baserunning. With guys like Pods around, there's a good reason to think that Willie may learn something this year about the art of basestealing. I don't want him gone either just glad he won't be starting.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)

In my opinion for someone with his speed thats pretty bad. He certainly played in enough games (129) to get at least 25-30 SB.