Illinois/Wisconson predictions

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
UNC is a very good basketball team.  He didn't say they were the best team but that is the team he thinks will win the NCAA championship.

Personally I have no problem with him saying that either. Illinois or North Carolina would be my title pick if the tourney started today. UNC will present huge match up problems for anyone they get. They have 3 legitimate scorers. The one spot where UNC is weaker is they are not as deep. So basically the key would be for UNC to stay out of foul trouble.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
He is right up there with al michaels and bill walton as most ammoying announcers in sports. Well, big name announcers that is.

bill walton tops the list easily, what a douche...

i like dickie v. as long as he isn't calling a big 4 game (duke, unc, kansas, kentucky). his voice/way of calling a game gets kinda annoying sometimes and he's a big 4 homer (especially, as everyone knows, of duke and coach k) at times but other than that i have no real problem with him. there are certainly worse *cough*walton*cough*...

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
I don't think you are understanding what I'm trying to say. I said don't get too cocky and think the Illini are going to beat everyone. Not just you, but mostly the team and their fan base. For example, my HS's team started 7-0 and everyone was kissing their ass saying they were going to win state and then they went out and lost two in a row. Tonight will be a tough game, and I have a feeling they are going to lose. I do not want them to lose; however, because the Illini are one of my favorite teams.

First of all.... a 7 - 0 high school team has no business being compared to a 19 - 0 #1 team in college basketball.. (of course I say 19 - 0 because this would be pre game you brought this up)

a lot of teams anywhere can go 7 - 0, but 20 - 0 is a different story ESPECIALLY in college basketball

Also, I dont get why some people had such little faith in Illinois last night.. I suppose they just looked past the fact they were undefeated and #1 and CRUSHED some of the better teams this year (Wake, Gonzaga, Cincy) just because Wiscy had a 38 game home win streak?

This isnt previous years, this is this year.. and when you looked at everything there shouldnt have been as big a doubt as I saw from a lot of people..

Oh and Aboz.... Illini by 16 next Tuesday :D

First off, Illini won't win by 16 at MSU

Second of all, it was a tossup game in my mind because of the streak, yes...but we've had better teams than Wisky go into Kohl and lose time after time after time. It wasn't a huge lack of faith, it was just the nervousness of not being the huge favorite in a game for once.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
First off, Illini won't win by 16 at MSU

Second of all, it was a tossup game in my mind because of the streak, yes...but we've had better teams than Wisky go into Kohl and lose time after time after time. It wasn't a huge lack of faith, it was just the nervousness of not being the huge favorite in a game for once.

You think what you want, I think they will win by 16

And yes, lots of people, not saying you, had a HUGE lack of faith.. Wisconsin is not a great team, and just because they play very good at home is no excuse to doubt your team they way some people did.. (Not saying you)

Now if we would have been like 15 - 5 and lost to Iowa, I might have been able to feel the same way some people did.. but there wasnt a doubt in my mind that we werent gonna win this game..

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
I understand your points, but for some people, i think the "lack of faith" was just more of a "lack of overconfidence", and rightly so.

16 points? I think you're nuts, but you can think what you want.

haha you can think im nuts

I agree with your statement about the lack of faith, but as far as MSU goes I havent been too impressed with them.. and I have a friend thats a MSU fan and he keeps talking s*** and saying MSU by 16 so I have to counter that, and I believe thats what its gonna be..

Last year when they played and Illinois killed them I gave him so much s*** he had to block me mid game on AIM

I think Wisconsin should of won, but at a critical time when they were 8 up they got complacent and pulled both Tucker and Wilkinson.

Illinois played a very good game, and I think that they are far more talented in the back court than Wisconsin is.

That being said, I do not think Illinois is unbeatable, and I think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves thinking that they are going to sweep the Big 10.

Congrats on the win, hopefully Wisconsin learns from this and is ready for Assembly Hall, the Big 10 tourney, and the NCAA.

SB

There are NO unbeatable teams in college basketball. None. What this game proved is that Illinois can beat any team if it wants to. They have stick-to-it-iveness. When a Jack Ingram can come off the bench and hit two big threes...that shows a team that they don't have to rely on Luther Head or Deron Williams or anyone to win games.

But, these last two wins taught the Illini that they can win close games when they aren't playing well and in a tough road venue when they are losing late. These wins are building confidence and even if they lose at MSU or at Iowa or to whomever, this team knows they can win anywhere.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
I think Wisconsin should of won, but at a critical time when they were 8 up they got complacent and pulled both Tucker and Wilkinson.

Illinois played a very good game, and I think that they are far more talented in the back court than Wisconsin is.

That being said, I do not think Illinois is unbeatable, and I think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves thinking that they are going to sweep the Big 10.

Congrats on the win, hopefully Wisconsin learns from this and is ready for Assembly Hall, the Big 10 tourney, and the NCAA.

SB

Well first of all i don't know how you can say Wisconsin should have won.

Our backcourt is much more talented than yours, yes.

Of course Illinois is beatable. We COULD sweep the Big Ten, especially if we win at MSU, but we'll play it one game at a time. I've already said i don't care if we drop a game, i'd rather not be undefeated.

I think Wisky will learn from the loss, but i don't see how it will help them in Assembly Hall. You won't win there.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
There are NO unbeatable teams in college basketball.  None.  What this game proved is that Illinois can beat any team if it wants to.

Isnt that basically saying Illinois is unbeatable??

Why would they ever go into a game and NOT want to beat someone? :huh:

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)

SB

should have won?.. nah.. Illinois played better when it mattered, the final 3 minutes of the game when it was MUST HAVE

Wisconsin COULD have won if they would have played, but those final minutes of the game proved how better Illinoi is than Wisconsin AND Michigan State for that matter..

putting away the game when the heat is on, and Illinois took care of it against Wisconsin and Iowa..

No Wisconsin should have won.

Up 8 at home with 10 minutes left, where they have not lost in almost 3 years.

That is a game that "SHOULD" have been won.

Had they only ever led by 2, etc, that is a game they "could" have won.

It was an anomoly that Wisconsin lost that game, to say anything else is to deny what really happened.

And for all of the bragging in this thread, Illinois had to eventually beat Wisconsin. I mean Wisconsin beat Illinois multiple times last year, I do not think any reasonable Badger fan would think that it would happen two years in a row.

But if you think, Wisconsin does not have a shot at Assembly Hall...

There is a reason why they play the game.

SB

Wisconsin should have won? Whatever, think what you want.

We had to win at some point? You've went 2-1 against us last year, whoopty-do. You won at home, we won at home...you won a MEANINGLESS big then championship game with guys on our team banged up. Big friggin deal. That wasn't at Kohl Center.

Yes, i said it, you won't win at Assembly Hall.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
If Illinois is up 8 at home with 10 minutes left, you would not consider it a game they "should" have won?

lol

Its amusing to see all of the Illini fans come out of the wood work, but at the same time I hope that all of you do not believe the hype...

SB

Whatever makes you feel better. Bottom line is you got beat by a better team. And if you don't think this Illinois team is as good as any other in the country then you are delusional. I'm not saying they win the title but they've got as good if not better than anyone else out there.

I'm kind of disoriented by this semantics discussion so I'll throw my 2 cents out there. Wisconsin had a very good opportunity to win the game last night. They did not. An undefeated team came back in the later moments of the game because that's what great/#1 teams do. That is why it wasn't a choke. Had Wisconsin dropped that lead to Penn State for a streak snapper-then maybe. Also, even though they didn't play well at all towards the finish, it's not like they were travelling, double-dribbling, or calling timeouts they don't have. That would be more indicative of a choke. I'm not ready to call this an undefeated season for Illinois and I think DIckie was putting the hex on the Illini by guaranteeing no losses at home. They probably won't lose, but Wisconsin and Indiana are real teams and should be able to at least keep the game close. Does anyone else find this season too weird? Its not even the fun type like the 2000 Sox when were up 10 and a half. Ths feels like a Madden Franchise where you expect to win and the only emotion comes from almost losing. Maybe this is what Duke fans go through yearly

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
No Wisconsin should have won.

Up 8 at home with 10 minutes left, where they have not lost in almost 3 years.

That is a game that "SHOULD" have been won.

Had they only ever led by 2, etc, that is a game they "could" have won.

It was an anomoly that Wisconsin lost that game, to say anything else is to deny what really happened.

And for all of the bragging in this thread, Illinois had to eventually beat Wisconsin. I mean Wisconsin beat Illinois multiple times last year, I do not think any reasonable Badger fan would think that it would happen two years in a row.

But if you think, Wisconsin does not have a shot at Assembly Hall...

There is a reason why they play the game.

SB

Since when is an 8 point lead with 10 minutes left safe and SHOULD be a win????

8 freaking points, go home fool

your team got beat by the better team, your streak is over, get over it

quit making excuses for your badgers

Where have I made on excuse?

Go through the thread,

If I was the Wisconsin coach I would say that is a game that we "should" have won. Whenever we are up at our home we expect to win. Whenever we play at home we expect to win.

So when we are up 8 and 2 consecutive possessions have a chance to put it at double digits, I consider that a game we should have won.

You all seem to forget that while Wisconsin was up 8, Illinois started to panic, and if it were not for Ingram's 2 three pointers, they game may of very well ended up in Wisconsin's favor.

But that is what happens, some times players come up big at critical moments, where as other times the ball just does not seem to fall (lay up by Wisconsin to bring the game back to 3 missed and then it was a roller coaster.)

The hype is that Illinois can not lose.

I grew up as an Illini fan, I have spent every year of my life except for 4 in Illinios (while at College).

If I sincerely thought Illnios was unbeatable, I would post it, it would be easier to admit that Illinois just flat out played Wisconsin than to say, Wisconsin could have won.

You can all think what you want, but there is no way Illinois ends up undefeated.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
Where have I made on excuse?

Go through the thread,

If I was the Wisconsin coach I would say that is a game that we "should" have won. Whenever we are up at our home we expect to win. Whenever we play at home we expect to win.

So when we are up 8 and 2 consecutive possessions have a chance to put it at double digits, I consider that a game we should have won.

You all seem to forget that while Wisconsin was up 8, Illinois started to panic, and if it were not for Ingram's 2 three pointers, they game may of very well ended up in Wisconsin's favor.

But that is what happens, some times players come up big at critical moments, where as other times the ball just does not seem to fall (lay up by Wisconsin to bring the game back to 3 missed and then it was a roller coaster.)

I grew up as an Illini fan, I have spent every year of my life except for 4 in Illinios (while at College).

If I sincerely thought Illnios was unbeatable, I would post it, it would be easier to admit that Illinois just flat out played Wisconsin than to say, Wisconsin could have won.

You can all think what you want, but there is no way Illinois ends up undefeated.

SB

you couldnt be anymore WRONG

Illinois panic???

Correct me if im wrong, but everytime Wisconsin got out by a few points Illinois came back to either tie it or take the lead EVERY time..

and its not SHOULD have won, its COULD have won... but Illinois played better when it mattered and DID win... bottom line

"this is a game we could have won"

nothing that happened down the stretch was due to Wisconsin mistakes, Illinois played better when it was crunch time and DID win...

shoulda, coulda, woulda, DIDNT

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)

SB

Gotcha, I thought you were inferring that Illinois wasn't that great of a basketball team.

On your second point, while I don't think Illinois will go undefeated (although I'm in the minority who wants to be undefeated, no such thing as a good loss in my book), it is a distinct possibility. Any Big 10 road game is tough but they are all winnable for this team and despite the Iowa hiccup I just do not see this team losing at home under any circumstances the rest of the year.

1) UW should have won.

2) We have different definitions of 'choke'. Mine includes poor performance at inopportune times (namely final minutes in game of extreme magnitude), yours may only include uncharacteristic mistakes. There is no right answer.