Konerko -

SouthSideScraper

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
He has the ability to do well on the road....he did better on the road than home in 2002.....and well...2003 sucked period.

2002 season

road-.318-average

.374-obp

.516-slg.

.890-ops

home-.288-average

.343-obp

.480-slg

.823-ops

Yes, but IIRC, US Cellular field didn't really start playing like one of the best hitter's parks until last season...

Your point is well taken, though. I'd like to see how Paully performs on the road the first half of this year before they offer him a contract exceeding 7.5 million, though...

sign paulie this year, i read on ESPN insider the Paulie has made it clear he wants to stay on this team. I have it saved on my home computer so i dont remember it perfectly. It went along the lines of saying that the sox gave him the chance to play, he respects that. If he could get a contract done this year he woulndt mind missing out on a few million to avoid the hassle of the open market. PK is my favorite player on the squad, yea maybe he is really freakin slow but oh well, his clubhouse character makes up for it. his statements he made about staying loyal to this team made me respect him a lot more. As soon as i get to my computer i will post his exact qoutes and you'll understand what i am talking about.....these sound genuine, not from the mouth of a crazy venezulen

Kevin Millar's a free agent at the end of the year. These are the last three years for these two.

Konerko - 275 AVG - 344 OBP - 483 SLG - 86 HR - 286RBI

Millar - 292 AVG - 365 - OBP - 484 SLG - 59 HR - 227RBI

Millar could be had for less than half of what Konerko will be asking for. You lose a little bit of power, but the extra 4 million it frees up can plug whatever holes we might have. You lose a clubhouse presence, but Millar's won a World Series as a team leader. Of course, this is assuming he doesn't resign with the Red Sox.

Millar already signed with the Red Sox.

We have seen Konerko's faults, none worse than his speed. But again, I bging up Edgar Martinez. He was a station to station runner, but still knocked the hell out of the ball. I'm not saying that Paulie is Edgar Martinez, but in the end, that's where he'll be. DH. And I think he'll do well there. However, he is still a good fielder so let's not cut him down too much.

We need him for at least another three or four years. After that, who's to say. Point is, their are a lot of young guys on the team who will need some lkeadership....True we have a pretty cool coaching staff, but they're going to need someone on their side. Konerko will give them that.

Ckubhouse leadership notwithstanding, the guy produces. SOmeone had stated that when Thomas is hot, it trickles to the rest of the team....Konerko had the same effect. SO did Lee and Magglio. Truth is, when a player is kicking ass, it motivates everyone else to produce as well. No one wants to see a player do such hard work for nothing.

Konerko is good for over 30 homers and 100 RBI's. SOme players never reach those numbers in a 20yr career. Those kind of numbers don't hurt a team, they help.

And I'm not just talking homers. We need guys who can get on base. Imagine Paulies RBI's if the guys in front of him could get on base.

This is going to be a great year for him if our lead off guys do their job. We're lokking at a potentially great season. Not just individually, but as a team.

Konerko is a key piece to the Play-Off puzzle. Lets make sure he gets there with us and not against us.

Lets hold on to him for the next three or four years and get the good years of his career. He's only 28 or 29. He's young yet and finally came into his own. He'll level off with pay....He knows he's not Barry Bonds, so he's not going to be asking for Barry Bonds money.

But he can play and produce and that makes him worth while.

QUOTE(SouthSideScraper @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
Ah.  Well, clarify your comments.  Prick.

Besides.  Fat chance.  MIllar isn't coming to Chicago.  If it isn't Konerko, it'll be Gload.

I like Gload as a bench guy, but not a replacement for Paulie.

I thought I made them pretty clear when I said Millar was available at the end of the year, Prick. Why wouldn't Millar come to Chicago if we offered him more than Boston?

"This organization gave me a chance to play, and I have no problem being loyal to them. If it costs me money down the road, fine." -Paulie's quote when asked about his contract being up at the end of the season....says he is willing to sign immediatly to an extension, and risk losing a couple million on the open market

props to konerko

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
I thought I made them pretty clear when I said Millar was available at the end of the year, Prick.  Why wouldn't Millar come to Chicago if we offered him more than Boston?

Well, forgive my mis-reading. I love the mudslinging on this forum....especially the stuff handed out by a 21yr old kid.

Ah well. Name calling aside.....

Millar is out.....18hr's and 74 RBI's isn't what I'd like in a replacement at first....I don't think the Sox will either. .297 BA is good, but I'd like more run production. And we're going to need some kind of power production on the team....Especially if Thomas doesn't get back into swing. Then there's Crede who needs to cowboy up as well. Dye remains to be seen. Point is we know Konerko can.

And if Paulie takes a paycut to stick with, then fantastic. It only prooves that he's stand-up....or that he knows his future is tentative due to his hip and wants to make sure he has a home. Either way, I love the guy and hope he sticks around for a while.

Small tidbit in one of Phil Rogers pieces;

Paul Konerko insists he's not going to be too difficult for the White Sox to sign to a contract extension, yet the deals for Carlos Delgado and Richie Sexson are sure to have some bearing on what his agent will seek.

Before November, Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and GM Ken Williams must decide if they can commit $11 million to $13 million a year to a one-dimensional player. It could come down to a choice between Konerko and Frank Thomas, who is guaranteed only a $3.5 million buyout after 2005.

If Konerko hits well next season, he could feel justified in seeking a deal comparable to Delgado's four-year, $52 million package with Florida or Sexson's four-year, $50 million contract with Seattle.

Over the last five years, Konerko has averaged .281 with 28 homers and 96 RBIs in 742 games. That's not as good as Delgado's .296-37-118 in 756 games but very close to Sexson's .272-32-93 in 648 games. Konerko, who is younger than the other two, appears only now to be hitting his peak.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
"This organization gave me a chance to play, and I have no problem being loyal to them. If it costs me money down the road, fine." -Paulie's quote when asked about his contract being up at the end of the season....says he is willing to sign immediatly to an extension, and risk losing a couple million on the open market

props to konerko

Players say that, and then when it comes time to cash in, they sing a different tune.

QUOTE(SouthSideScraper @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Well, forgive my mis-reading.  I love the mudslinging on this forum....especially the stuff handed out by a 21yr old kid.

Ah well.  Name calling aside.....

Millar is out.....18hr's and 74 RBI's isn't what I'd like in a replacement at first....I don't think the Sox will either.  .297 BA is good, but I'd like more run production.  And we're going to need some kind of power production on the team....Especially if Thomas doesn't get back into swing.  Then there's Crede who needs to cowboy up as well.  Dye remains to be seen.  Point is we know Konerko can.

And if Paulie takes a paycut to stick with, then fantastic.  It only prooves that he's stand-up....or that he knows his future is tentative due to his hip and wants to make sure he has a home.  Either way, I love the guy and hope he sticks around for a while.

Don't respond to a post without reading it correctly first, and don't call someone a prick for pointing out that you misread it. First you said that Millar wouldn't come to the White Sox. Now your saying that he won't fit because of his lack of power numbers, but you said if Konerko's asking too much it'll be Gload in at first. I don't know how that works out. With Millar, you sacrifice some home runs, but your saving money for another hole. Besides, Millar's RBI numbers are skewed because he had some major RBI producers in front of him.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jan 30, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
Players say that, and then when it comes time to cash in, they sing a different tune.

Don't respond to a post without reading it correctly first, and don't call someone a prick for pointing out that you misread it.  First you said that Millar wouldn't come to the White Sox. Now your saying that he won't fit because of his lack of power numbers, but you said if Konerko's asking too much it'll be Gload in at first.  I don't know how that works out.  With Millar, you sacrifice some home runs, but your saving money for another hole.  Besides, Millar's RBI numbers are skewed because he had some major RBI producers in front of him.

It occurs to me, you called me a fool. I was merely retorting. Prick.

And besides. Millar is out. Give it a rest chief.

QUOTE(SouthSideScraper @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Well, forgive my mis-reading.  I love the mudslinging on this forum....especially the stuff handed out by a 21yr old kid.

Ah well.  Name calling aside.....

Millar is out.....18hr's and 74 RBI's isn't what I'd like in a replacement at first....I don't think the Sox will either.  .297 BA is good, but I'd like more run production.  And we're going to need some kind of power production on the team....Especially if Thomas doesn't get back into swing.  Then there's Crede who needs to cowboy up as well.  Dye remains to be seen.  Point is we know Konerko can.

And if Paulie takes a paycut to stick with, then fantastic.  It only prooves that he's stand-up....or that he knows his future is tentative due to his hip and wants to make sure he has a home.  Either way, I love the guy and hope he sticks around for a while.

Millar would probally put up 25 homeruns, .300 average, and anywhere from .360 obp to .380 for roughly half the cost. He is ten time more versatile than konerko. He can play left, right, first, and third base in a pinch. He is an upgrade speed wise. Not by alot, but he still is. I have also heard he is pretty damn fan friendly. To say he would not consider playing in chicago is asinine. He is an upgrade over konerko anyway you look at it, other than age.

Paul Konerko insists he's not going to be too difficult for the White Sox to sign to a contract extension, yet the deals for Carlos Delgado and Richie Sexson are sure to have some bearing on what his agent will seek. Before November, Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and GM Ken Williams must decide if they can commit $11 million to $13 million a year to a one-dimensional player. It could come down to a choice between Konerko and Frank Thomas, who is guaranteed only a $3.5 million buyout after 2005. If Konerko hits well next season, he could feel justified in seeking a deal comparable to Delgado's four-year, $52 million package with Florida or Sexson's four-year, $50 million contract with Seattle.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 30, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
Millar would probally put up 25 homeruns, .300 average, and anywhere from .360 obp to .380 for roughly half the cost. He is ten time more versatile than konerko. He can play left, right, first, and third base in a pinch. He is an upgrade speed wise. Not by alot, but he still is. I have also heard he is pretty damn fan friendly. To say he would not consider playing in chicago is asinine. He is an upgrade over konerko anyway you look at it, other than age.

Not to mention, a guy who was willing to go to Japan is probably willing to come to Chicago.