Official Carlos Lee Bashing Thread

johndyce

He is a worthless lawn ornament who sits and stares at the new additions to the cell, and is in complete awe of them. He swings for the fences every at bat, and only thinks about himself. You dont even see him get mad when he strikesout like usual. I would prefer Borchard, or anyone over that piece of crap.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a worthless lawn ornament who sits and stares at the new additions to the cell, and is in complete awe of them.  He swings for the fences every at bat, and only thinks about himself.  You dont even see him get mad when he strikesout like usual. I would prefer Borchard, or anyone over that piece of crap.

accually he is probally harder on himself than anyone else and he is getting mad you can see it in his face, but getting mad is not always the best way to fix yourself.

Not only he's hurting the team, but he's KILLING ME in fantacy baseball!  :angry:  He should snap out of it. HE BETTER!

me to i had him on there for the first week, thinking this would be the day, but his slump continues.

In my leaguge, i'm stuck with him for the year. :angry:

its one of those money leagues ?

I definitely feel u guys on your frustration over Carlos. I for one am very dissapointed over his slide the last couple years. I still to this day don't know exactly what's gone wrong. He hit 300 in 99, 300 in 2000, and was hitting .301 with 15 hr's and 52 rbi's the 1st half of 01 before the bottom dropped out. I'm not sayin Carlos is a horrible player cause he's not. He's just gone backwards in my opinion. Your supposed to get better as u get older not the other way around. And it's not like he's had a major injury or somethin that's held him back. I agree that he definitely looks to be swinging for hr's every at-bat. Especially when there's guys on base. He needs to just relax and concentrate on getting singles and doubles and the hr's will come...But it's still too early to give up on Carlos just yet. He's still young and still could become the player we all think he can. The last thing I wanna see is us trade Carlos and him become a superstar for somebodyelse......

Not only he's hurting the team, but he's KILLING ME in fantacy baseball!  :angry:  He should snap out of it. HE BETTER!

we discussed this for 2 years now..you even nicknamed him dumbass caballo and then you pick him on a fantasy team where you cant cut him???...i have no sympathy for you..dumbass...hahahaha :D

just kidding RPS but what the hell were you thinking???

we discussed this for 2 years now..you even nicknamed him dumbass caballo and then you pick him on a fantasy team where you cant cut him???...i have no sympathy for you..dumbass...hahahaha :D

just kidding RPS but what the hell were you thinking???

HAHAHAHA, I absolutely agree. What in the hell were you smoking RPS? :lol:

swings for the fences? he is becoming one of the more patient guys on the team.

even so, swinging for the fences means taking careless swings, which would result in a lot of Ks, he hasn't been a strikeout guy.

My thoughts on LEE are well known on this site , I think he is terrible and very overrated, and with his salary 4.5 mil KW will not invest longterm in him, major trade bait if anyone is STUPID enough to take him. :angry:

You all might be right...

But, I think it's unwise to give up on a young hitter who has shown glimpses of greatness. OK, maybe greatness is an overstatement, but he has had stretches where he has hit extremely well, and IMO he has the potential (yes, that's probably the most overused word in sports -- especially baseball) to be a very good ML player.

If at the end of this season he is hitting below .275 with fewer than 30 HR and 100 RBI, at that time I'll say "trade him" -- but I don't want to bash the guy and 6 months from now be cheering him on when we're in a pennant race. That would be hypocritical, and I don't want my smelly foot to be in my mouth. :D

I know when Carlos came up expectations were big and everyone is still looking for that breakout year, but let's not jump the gun here saying he sucks.

What you get with Carlos is one of the most consistent hitters in baseball. His numbers may not be spectacular, but they are certainly more than respectable.

Some numbers from 2002:

Everybody was focused on his .264 average, but no one wants to give him credit for an OBP of .359 and a SLG % of .484. Would you rather he hit .285 yet with an OBP of .340? Or a lower SLG %?

His breakdown by Half in 2002:

1st Half

Avg. .263

12 HR

38 RBI

28 BB

37 K

2nd Half

Avg. .267

14 HR

42 RBI

47 BB

36 K

His OBP fluctuated some because he only walked 5 times each in April and May and then all of a sudden found some patience.

If you think a guy that hits .270 ish with an OBP of .359 and a SLG % of .484 including 26 2B, 26 HR and 80 RBI while walking more than he strikes out, sucks, then you guys need to wake the hell up.

For good measure, let's look at Daubach's numbers last year....

Avg. .266 - basically same as Lee

OPB .348 - comparable to .359

SLG .464 - slightly less than .484

2B 24 - about the same

HR 20 - 6 less

RBI 78 - basically the same

BB 51 - 24 less than Carlos

K 126 - 53 more than Lee

All in all, fairly similar numbers, yet Carlos makes much more contact and walks more. The fact that Fenway Park is very favorable to LH hitters must be considered as well.

I did not post this to bash Daubach because as you can see he is quite respectable. But rather than whine about Carlos not putting up Frank numbers, why not be glad that the Sox actually have some depth this year?

I agree with Hudler. Their is no reason to be concerned this early. Lee is still showing patience and he has extremely quick hands. There is no reason he shouldn't be successful. Carlos has worked very hard each offseason and is in great shape and confident. I have no doubt that he will come through and put up very impressive numbers, especially for a guy in the 6 hole.

At the end of the season you could easily argue that Carlos is more valuable then Konerko (Just because I think Carlos is going to have a monster year).

Guest hotsoxchick1
I agree with Hudler.  Their is no reason to be concerned this early.  Lee is still showing patience and he has extremely quick hands.  There is no reason he shouldn't be successful.  Carlos has worked very hard each offseason and is in great shape and confident.  I have no doubt that he will come through and put up very impressive numbers, especially for a guy in the 6 hole. 

At the end of the season you could easily argue that Carlos is more valuable then Konerko (Just because I think Carlos is going to have a monster year).

carlos has been having a monster year for the past three years now.. i wish to hell he would hurry up and have it already........im sick of waiting on it............ :D

Guest hotsoxchick1
Thank you Jason and Rex for your support of Carlos.  One week does not make a season for any player.  So he had a bad week!  EVERYONE does!  He'll get it going once it actually gets over subzero temperature outside!

how much allowance does he give ya to defend him heather???????? :D

Thank you Jason and Rex for your support of Carlos.  One week does not make a season for any player.  So he had a bad week!  EVERYONE does!  He'll get it going once it actually gets over subzero temperature outside!

how much allowance does he give ya to defend him heather???????? :D

Well I can't speak for Rex, but lets just say I'll be able to get season tickets for the rest of my life ;)

Other numbers on Carlos (these do not really support or contradict my argument, they're just numbers I found interesting):

Lee's batting average with specific counts..

1st Pitch - .377

0-1 - .283

1-0 - .476

1-1 - .306

2-1 - .342

And the one that doesn't fit......

2-0 - .091

That tells me that perhaps he is swinging for the fences on 2-0. He also was only .235 on a count of 3-1, another traditional hitter's count.

He hit .277 after a 1-0 count and only .207 after an 0-1 count.

Obviously those numbers tell you he is much better earlier in the count. Yet he took more walks last year so he was working deeper into counts.

My last random Carlos Lee observation is that he hit only .233 at home and .288 on the road. Yet, his HR, RBI, BB and K's are all almost identical. So despite his consistency, there are some strange inconsistency inside his numbers.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Other numbers on Carlos (these do not really support or contradict my argument, they're just numbers I found interesting):

Lee's batting average with specific counts..

1st Pitch - .377

0-1      - .283

1-0      - .476

1-1      - .306

2-1      - .342

And the one that doesn't fit......

2-0      - .091

That tells me that perhaps he is swinging for the fences on 2-0.  He also was only .235 on a count of 3-1, another traditional hitter's count. 

He hit .277 after a 1-0 count and only .207 after an 0-1 count. 

Obviously those numbers tell you he is much better earlier in the count.  Yet he took more walks last year so he was working deeper into counts. 

My last random Carlos Lee observation is that he hit only .233 at home and .288 on the road.  Yet, his HR, RBI, BB and K's are all almost identical.  So despite his consistency, there are some strange inconsistency inside his numbers.

hes really paying you guys out..... geez us maybe i should jump on his bandwagon and cash in too........... :D :D :D :D :D