Pod's or Hairston?

Melissa1334

who would you rather have leading off? i think scott, even though he had an off yr. will be better than Jerry. he also isnt injury prone. Pods scored 95 runs-with the brewers. i think he will benifit from having walker helping him. jerry wont even come close to pods' 70 stolen bases :fight

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
I would take Podz. OBP is overrated in a way with some leadoff men because a bad one can be negated by being a great stolen base threat. If you offered me a 320 obp with 75 steals or a 360 obp with 35 steals, I'll take the steals. Welcome to soxtalk.com!

Thanx. i agree, jerry may give you a 370 obp but he will only give u 25-30 SB. pods even with a 313 obp gave the brewers 70. so yea, it is overated. (plus 95 runs) personally i think the orioles stole sammy from the cubs, they got 10 mil to help pay for him , they didnt even need jerry! :)

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
hey, how do u add pictures? i noticed everyone has pix under their user name and everytime they 'reply' how can i add them?

On the top of the page click on "My Controls" .... then click on "edit signature". That will get you pointed in the right direction

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 30, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
The stolen base is one of the most overrated stats in all of baseball.  Give me the OBP any day.

I don't think so. I mean, Pod's SBs are just like adding on 70 doubles onto his stats. SB's automatically put you into scoring position. More of a lost art, IMO.

QUOTE(Hall of Famer @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
I don't think so. I mean, Pod's SBs are just like adding on 70 doubles onto his stats. SB's automatically put you into scoring position. More of a lost art, IMO.

I'm with you 100 percent on this one, I think the stolen base is more underrated then overrated.

QUOTE(Hall of Famer @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)

It's a lost art because teams don't do it much any more. There's are reasons for that. One of which being is that it takes about an 85% success rate to make it worth your while, in general. With the long ball so prevelent in toiday's game, it's not worth the risk. Now, I'm speaking in general terms here. There is a time and a place for everything.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
I would take Podz. OBP is overrated in a way with some leadoff men because a bad one can be negated by being a great stolen base threat. If you offered me a 320 obp with 75 steals or a 360 obp with 35 steals, I'll take the steals. Welcome to soxtalk.com!

OBP is king. ESPECIALLY for lead off hitters! Stolen bases are nice (turns singles into doubles) but secondary.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
It's a lost art because teams don't do it much any more.  There's are reasons for that.  One of which being is that it takes about an 85% success rate to make it worth your while, in general.  With the long ball so prevelent in toiday's game, it's not worth the risk.  Now, I'm speaking in general terms here.  There is a time and a place for everything.

Exactly. Like late innings in a close game.

You don't need to be risking a momentum killing "caught stealing" early in the game. Let your hitters do what they're supposed to do before you start taking risks.

I htink teams like the Angels and Twins have shown a model that is just as effective as the obp model for playing offense. When I say it's the most overrated stat, it's not because it's not important. But everybody and their motehr became a Bill James-clone when the Lewis book came out and I think that obp stats aren't really doing what some claim them to do.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
I htink teams like the Angels and Twins have shown a model that is just as effective as the obp model for playing offense. When I say it's the most overrated stat, it's not because it's not important. But everybody and their motehr became a Bill James-clone when the Lewis book came out and I think that obp stats aren't really doing what some claim them to do.

So it's wrong that teams want to try to get players that can get on at a high percentage?

OBP was a killer stat for the Sox last season. I think we were the best team in the AL to score with runners in scoring position, but we were the worst team in getting play into scoring position in the 1st place, I may be wrong on that, but it's something like that. If Pods can put up a .340 OBP the same as Willie leading off, but steal 70 bases, he'll be able to score a lot more runs. Hairston is too injury prone, and won't hit well enough to be a productive left fielder, which is most likely going to be his position for the Flubs, because they want won't move Walker, which I find strange, considering he ain't a good fielder anyway.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 30, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
In fact I would go as far as to say that obp is one of the more overrated stats.

:bang :banghead :headshake

Anyways, I think I'd rather have a platoon @ CF of Harris/Hairston, with Rowand in left, than Podsednik, but it's close. I think Pods should be right around .270 with a .340 OBP or so with more SB's, but I think the Harris/Hairston platoon would give us a OBP closer to .390 or so.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 30, 2005 -> 02:23 AM)
Personally, I would rather have a guy who's batting average is considered "high," over a guy who's OBP is considered "high."

Leaving OPS out of the equation (because doesn't OPS consider extra base hits as well as OBP & AVG...?), wouldn't you rather have the guy who has a .250 AVG/.360 OBP over the guy with the .285 AVG/.330 OBP?

I know who I'd take (again -- leaving OPS out of the equation)...