2005 Draft Possibility for the Sox...

maggsmaggs

The Sox are in need of closer with Shingo aging and Marte not showing the ability to close, so I hope the Sox pick Craig Hansen. He is a 6-5 hard thrower who is the Cape Cod League didn't allow a run and had a 41-2 SO/BB ratio in 22 innings. Baseball America predicted him to go, in their early Draft Preview, 16th. So we could probably nab him at 15. We could probably give him a year in the minors and move him into set-up and then closer, we really need a homegrown cloer. Here's a profile from brewerfan.net

Hansen has been a known commodity since coming out of high school, but he really helped his draft stock by turning heads on the Cape on his way to being named the league's third best prospect according to Baseball America. Built with a perfect pitcher's frame, Hansen throws his fastball in the mid-90s, and complements that with a slider that he throws in the mid to high-80s, easily the best 1-2 punch for any '05 draft prospect. He also displayed great control last summer posting a 41 to 2 strikeout to walk ratio is just over 22 innings of work while not allowing a single earned run. The catch? He is a consistent third pitch away from being considered a legitimate starter, and might follow the path of Cincinnati's Ryan Wagner as a power reliever. Like Wagner, Hansen could make it to the big leagues very quickly on pure stuff alone. If he develops his changeup and continues to flourish next spring he could easily be considered a top 3-5 overall selection, and is easily one of the more intriguing players to watch.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
Royce Ring was considered a "closer" but Baseball America and other experts said he could be a closer but had more of set-up man stuff.  This guy is a power pitcher which Ring wasn't.

Who cares if he's a power pitcher. I agree to take the best overall player available however I don't think taking a relief pitcher in the first round is a good idea, jmo.

I think you only take a reliever if you htink it's a sure thing. Matt Anderson and Royce Ring are example sof relievers taken in the first-round who busted. The whole point of taking guys that only relieve is that they would have a low-attrition rate. But, if you can get a Wagner, Cordero, Street-you might want to. To not take one because Royce Ring stunk is dumb. That's like the Tigers not wanting another Weaver or the Bears nto wanting another Michigan receiver. In player development, you need to judge each guy on his own. If his stuff is that good, let's go get him.

If the Sox draft a reliever early, they better make sure he has a power arm because while I'm not a guy thats huge on the radar gun, I do think power relievers have a little greater chance of sucess, especially cause they can come in and strike guys out with runners on base.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
speaking of Weaver if he doesnt sign this year how late will he go in this up coming draft?

He should still go top 15. The only question in regards to him will be how much longer will he take and is he still in good shape. Weaver is gonna be a good pitcher, not Prior good, but he's going to be good.

He'll be a great selection for anyteam, imo. The reason he'll fall will be because of his signing demands. Hell he could even get grabbed earlier if no other guys really elevate there games.

I would really prefer not draft a reliever in the first round. I doubt he'll be there at 15, unless he has a bad spring, but the guy I want is Jeff Clement, a Catcher out SC (that's either Southern Cal or South Carolina, can't remember which...USC, I think). I'd like to get another catcher in the system. If not that, an SS or an SP. In BA, they had us taking a high school SS, can't remember his name though. Bristow, I think.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
I would really prefer not draft a reliever in the first round.  I doubt he'll be there at 15, unless he has a bad spring, but the guy I want is Jeff Clement, a Catcher out SC (that's either Southern Cal or South Carolina, can't remember which...USC, I think).  I'd like to get another catcher in the system.  If not that, an SS or an SP.  In BA, they had us taking a high school SS, can't remember his name though.  Bristow, I think.

Yup, this is what they have to say:

Justin Bristow, ss/rhp, Mills Godwin HS, Richmond, Va.

Possesses big bat and powerful arm, but lack of speed may push him to third base as a pro

QUOTE(farmteam @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
I would really prefer not draft a reliever in the first round.  I doubt he'll be there at 15, unless he has a bad spring, but the guy I want is Jeff Clement, a Catcher out SC (that's either Southern Cal or South Carolina, can't remember which...USC, I think).  I'd like to get another catcher in the system.  If not that, an SS or an SP.  In BA, they had us taking a high school SS, can't remember his name though.  Bristow, I think.

Clement is from Southern Cal. Really good catching prospect who kind of suffers from the same mold as Landon Powell. I think he'll be a high pick but he's a guy that could be a good value pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I'm a Clement fan though, probably wouldn't take him in the first round though, but there is a whole season of baseball ahead of us.

Ryan Wagner and Huston Street are two guys w/ "reliever" all over them that were decent moves. If Hansen is a "sure thing", with mid-90's+ stuff, why not. the sox could easily p/u position players and SP's in the next few rounds. Also, the Sox picked up a lot of SP's early in the 2004 draft [gio, wesler, lumsden]. But I do usually say go for the best available

QUOTE(farmteam @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 03:03 AM)

Farmteam, I definitely agree with your assessment. Catcher/SP/MIF are definite needs as far as having a real good prospect in one of those positions.

As far as taking a reliever with that 15th pick, I wouldn't mind it, but I'd want this reliever to -- a.) be coming from college, not high school, and b.) have absolutely electric stuff. I'd like to see a college pitcher fall to us at 15, if it's Weaver, so be it.

I really want to see a concerted (sp?) effort to rebuilding this farm system. That's definitely a challenge, considering that year in, year out, Kenny will (most likely) trade one of the better prospects in order for a good return at the major league level, but I hopefully JR can put aside a little bit more money each year to the draft, so Kenny is able to pick that kid in the fifth round who has fallen because it's heard he'll be a tough sign. I'm not suggesting that we give these draftees whatever money they want, but having a solid and prospering farm system to fall back on will be nice, if and when it gets there.