Batting 3rd

Spod=Ratings

SB, I'm about as big of a Gload fan as you can find on this board, but I wouldn't be giving him too many opportunities over Jurassic next season....

Everett's .288/.361/.501 3-yr vs. RHP is second only to frank on the team... The fact is, against righties, he has to be in the line-up... He's better than any of the other 3 OFers we have, and Kong...

Lefties is another story... Everett should abandon the Switch hitting, a .238/.301/.354 just deosn't cut it. I wouldn't mind seing Glaod get a bunch of AB's at the beginning of the season vs. LHP and spelling Kong at 1B, with Everett taking an OF spot for some of the RHP.... But I don't think you can give him the starting Dh/1B out of ST.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how your going to take a small ass sample size from one year and compare it with Carl Everett's career. There's a reason why Gload didn't cut it on so many teams. Everett is a better hitter. He hits for power has had clutch hits. Gload is nice as a bench player, but if your going to take one year samples, let's talk about Scott Posednik being in the HOF.

I also don't get this talk for Rowand as a #3. He had one pretty good season. His career stats do not indicate he should be batting #3. Let's see what he does this year before we annoint him king. He should get 85 rbi's this year if he wants to be at the #3 slot and hit for a high OBP and avg. Until then let's not talk about him batting in the 3 hole.

SB, I'm about as big of a Gload fan as you can find on this board, but I wouldn't be giving him too many opportunities over Jurassic next season....

Everett's .288/.361/.501 3-yr vs. RHP is second only to frank on the team... The fact is, against righties, he has to be in the line-up... He's better than any of the other 3 OFers we have, and Kong...

Lefties is another story... Everett should abandon the Switch hitting, a .238/.301/.354 just deosn't cut it.  I wouldn't mind seing Glaod get a bunch of AB's at the beginning of the season vs. LHP and spelling Kong at 1B, with Everett taking an OF spot for some of the RHP.... But I don't think you can give him the starting Dh/1B out of ST.

Agree entirely. Ozzie talked Val out of SH & I would like for him to do the same with Jurassic. Likewise the Oz factor comes into play with Konerko. Oz is not going to hesitate to use Gload as a PR for Koney late in the game. With the expected decrease in both HR's & lop-sided scores that's going to be often. I wouldn't be surprised if Koney finishes with 100 fewer AB's in 05 vs 04.

Cheat,

Im not even that much of a Gload fan.

It is just very hard for me to believe that an under 30 player will decline, while at the same time we are expecting an over 30 player to improve.

I read tons of threads about how Everett is going to be hot, etc. But you see very few people talk about the fact Gload put up .320 ba in his first season. That is not a fluke number it was in a substantial amount of AB's, also:

August 35 5 12 2 0 1 7 5 0 6 0 1 .343 .415 .486 .900

September 67 10 27 7 0 4 16 6 0 4 0 0 .403 .446 .687 1.133

It is my belief that you just do not hand a player a job, and if Gload outperforms Everett in ST, then why should we assume that Everett will outproduce Gload during the regular season?

Im not going to hold my breathe, and I doubt Ross is either.

SB

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
I also don't get this talk for Rowand as a #3. He had one pretty good season. His career stats do not indicate he should be batting #3. Let's see what he does this year before we annoint him king. He should get 85 rbi's this year if he wants to be at the #3 slot and hit for a high OBP and avg. Until then let's not talk about him batting in the 3 hole.

I don't get the RBI requirement for the #3 hole.... RBI's are a product of your spot in the order/the number of men on base when you come up...

Rowand's .310/.361/.544 is better than anything Konerko has ever put up, and the last time Dye had a season like that (.321/.390/.561) it was during the Clinton Administration. Nevermind that he's batted below .250 for the last three years.

I conceded yesterday in this thread that I actually wouldn't bat Rowand 3rd, but that was only because he would lead off vs. LHP, and Everett should be 3rd vs. RHP because he is the best hitter we have against righties not named Frank. I was unaware of the RBI prerequisite that was was required to hit in the #3 spot until this thread.

Unlike Pods, Gload has only played 1 season.

If you want me to make up statistics for Gload and compare them to Everett's career.

I just dont understand, generally we overhype players when they come up. Gload actually produced as a rookie and people want to diss his production because he did not get enough AB's.

Im so puzzeled.

Why the hate for Gload?

And how many other teams would say a guy who hit .320 in his first season was a "nice bench player".

lol

SB

No hate for Gload, but I think his numbers are skewed upwards by his part time status, and the fact that Oz picked the spots to use him, where he knew he would be more effective. He never used him against a tough lefty, it was always against RHP. If he played everyday against all pitching like Jurrassic his numbers would come back to earth quickly. I don't think he would be bad, but he wouldn't be hitting .320, that's for sure.

Rowand should bat 2nd. Career wise & 04 wise he beats Uribe in BA + OBP.

Iggy is to green to slot for 2nd. He should follow Uribe to speed on the base pads for AJ.

Dye is coming off a better year than Everett. I think #3 is his spot to lose in ST. When Frank returns he should have #3 & Dye/Everett to 5th. If Carl is doing great when Frank returns he'll get more of Frank's & Dye's ABs. Otherwise he'll be primarily a bench player to face RHers.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)

If you want me to make up statistics for Gload and compare them to Everett's career.

I just dont understand, generally we overhype players when they come up. Gload actually produced as a rookie and people want to diss his production because he did not get enough AB's.

Im so puzzeled.

Why the hate for Gload?

And how many other teams would say a guy who hit .320 in his first season was a "nice bench player".

lol

SB

You're preaching to the choir here.... I wanted(well not wanted, but if it had to come to it) Konerko gone, with Gload being the starting 1B... I still would have liked to have seen Lee in right, Rowand in Center, and Dye in RF, with Everett stealing a bunch of Dye vs. RHP AB's and filling in at DH.

With pods gone we would have a better OBP, more power, and less of a lefty/righty platoon split.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
No hate for Gload, but I think his numbers are skewed upwards by his part time status, and the fact that Oz picked the spots to use him, where he knew he would be more effective.  He never used him against a tough lefty, it was always against RHP.  If he played everyday against all pitching like Jurrassic his numbers would come back to earth quickly.  I don't think he would be bad, but he wouldn't be hitting .320, that's for sure.

I think you should check the splits -- Gload had a better avg/obp/slg vs. LHP... He was surprisingly good vs. them.

You're preaching to the choir here.... I wanted(well not wanted, but if it had to come to it) Konerko gone, with Gload being the starting 1B...  I still would have liked to have seen Lee in right, Rowand in Center, and Dye in RF, with Everett stealing a bunch of Dye vs. RHP AB's and filling in at DH. 

With pods gone we would have a better OBP, more power, and less of a lefty/righty platoon split.

I'm agreeing with you too much today :D

I agree that both Oz & KW forgot about Lee's hitting streaks in 04. Lee might just have the best average vs any Sox or Cub everyday player incl ex-players Maggs & Sosa in 05.

Lee 04

April 80AB .263 .341 .475 .816

May 102AB .304 .379 .373 .752

June 106AB .311 .368 .453 .820

July 97AB .309 .361 .773 1.134

Aug 91AB .330 .367 .593 .961

Sep 103AB .330 .400 .534 .934

Koney's never produced 5 straight months of 300+ & Frank hasn't done that

in years.

I'm all for adding speed but not at the cost of Lee. KW blew this one.

Overbay has solid trade value to where a Koney for Pods + Vizc + PTBNL makes sense to Milw as well. Overbay could have been traded for an OF to replace Pods.

D Lee's worked hard to become an above average defender in LF so I would leave him there. Move Pods to RF but let him cheat to the left. Let Rowand cheat to the left as well in CF & reduce the area Lee has to cover. Net result is that the Sox are much better D than Pods, Rowand, & Dye.

Since you're replacing Koney with the much cheaper Gload you actually have more to spend or save. There's no reason to spend on Dye with Lee on the team. Dare I say that gives you enough to outbid SFG for Vizquel? Again with Vizquel there is no reason to sign Iggy. Saving even more $. Still plenty left for AJP, Hernandez, & Herm.

44 HR's is great but I'll take a player that has 5 300A+ months & 3 900+ OPS month s over the 44 HR guy any year.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
You're preaching to the choir here.... I wanted(well not wanted, but if it had to come to it) Konerko gone, with Gload being the starting 1B...  I still would have liked to have seen Lee in right, Rowand in Center, and Dye in RF, with Everett stealing a bunch of Dye vs. RHP AB's and filling in at DH. 

A fellow Gload fan! :cheers

That pretty much summed up my hopes for the offseason as well. I hated getting rid of Lee. Konerko was more expendable but also not as marketable. My only concern with Gload's offense is sample size. The only way to find out for sure is to play him everyday. But with Lee being traded instead of Konerko, at whose expense does that playing time come from?

Offensively, the Sox makover could come down to whether we get the 2003 Pods or the 2004 Pods. :huh

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
3 yr Timo: 68AB PH vs 669AB RON,ISP.  It's not an accurate measure to use his PH #'s.

As a LH bat he can hit RHers.

3 yr: vs L: 136AB, .154A .201O .191S vs R: 947AB, 290A, 324O, 415S

So, Timo can hit righties?

So can Gload, Everett, and Harris, and much better (at that) than Timo.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)

Im so puzzeled.

Why the hate for Gload?

lol

SB

For whoever compared Podsednik and Gload -- that's an inaccurate comparison.

Gload actually hit well in the minor leagues. He was a career .315 hitter in over 1500 ABs at AAA. Podsednik, on the other hand, was alright in the minor leagues, but still a career .260+ hitter.

Until Gload proves that he can't hit, I'm definitely OK with him in the lineup on a daily basis (actually, not daily -- but he ought to get a fair share of AB's this season). And, If Paully starts asking for over eight million per season, Gload is my firstbaseman next year (with a possible platoon player vs. lefties).

Ross Gload did a very good job last year. We couldn't have asked anything more from the guy. However, Carl Everett is a very solid, proven, major league ballplayer. The only way Gload will replace Everett is if he just makes it impossible for Ozzie not to give it to him. For example, like Rowand did last year. Ozzie could not keep the guy on the bench because he consistantly outproduced every other option for CF Ozzie had at his disposal.

Gload won't win the job in ST. And to do so during the season will take a helluva lot.

Dye should start the yr in the #3 hole. Through the first three months of last yr, Dye was hitting .299/.355/.533 on July 3rd. I expect him to hit like that as well, with everett giving him some time off, maybe DHing to stay fresh. Frank could come back in the #3 hole when he returns. Dye might go 4th, so the sox could break up Frank and PK.

as for gload, he could very well start for a number of teams. Just not for the sox. he'll see some playing time, coming in for pk late in games, pinch running and paying 1b, spot starting and such. But if guys like PK, EVerett and Frank are playing well, there should be few opportunities for him to get in.

The only thing that worries me about Dye being in the #3 hole, is his high propensity to strike out. If we're going to play more small ball this season i.e. Pods gets a single, steals 2nd, Iguchi sacs bunts him over to 3rd, we'll need someone who can at least put the ball into play a lot more to get some sac flies etc. Not saying that Dye isn't an option, but he might not fit our needs the best. That's why you'd toy with the likes of Rowand there instead possibly, unless the Sox decide to stick him lower down the order for some more RBI possibilities.

The only thing that worries me about Dye being in the #3 hole, is his high propensity to strike out. If we're going to play more small ball this season i.e. Pods gets a single, steals 2nd, Iguchi sacs bunts him over to 3rd, we'll need someone who can at least put the ball into play a lot more to get some sac flies etc. Not saying that Dye isn't an option, but he might not fit our needs the best. That's why you'd toy with the likes of Rowand there instead possibly, unless the Sox decide to stick him lower down the order for some more RBI possibilities.

I don't see Iggy starting out at #2. I see Rowand being a major fixture there.

If Pods gets on you need just a long single to have a scoring op because he's excellent

at getting a lead before the swing. If Pods gets on with a double you need just a hit to bring him in it. If Pods gets on with a triple you need just a SF.

Rowand is perfect for all 3 situations.

Take a look at Rowand's hit chart:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...0023&statType=1

His Fly Outs are deep enough to advance Pods. You definitely want a guy at #2 who

can advance Pods with an out if he can't get on.

Pods, Rowand, Dye, Koney, Everett, Uribe, Iggy, AJP, Crede OR

Pods, Rowand, Thomas, Koney, Dye, Uribe, Iggy, AJP, Crede

If Iggy has the numbers move him to #2 in 06. Rowand would then be the #3

& with Koney expected to leave Thomas becomes #4.