Ben Davis

whitesox91403

I know the guy is going to get paid a million this season. Can he just be waived to get his salary off the books? Personally, I like him. However, wouldn't it make more sense for The Sox to try and trade/waive him so Burke can be kept? Burke is a more versatile player that can play 3 positions. What is it that is keeping Davis on the roster besides salary obviously? His defense? The fact that he is a switch hitting catcher?

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Feb 14, 2005 -> 06:23 AM)
I know the guy is going to get paid a million this season. Can he just be waived to get his salary off the books? Personally, I like him. However, wouldn't it make more sense for The Sox to try and trade/waive him so Burke can be kept? Burke is a more versatile player that can play 3 positions. What is it that is keeping Davis on the roster besides salary obviously? His defense? The fact that he is a switch hitting catcher?

I think it's more a question of depth.

Under our current system if AJ got hurt then we would be stuck with a catching core of Burke and Davis. Not great but not the worst in baseball. If we trade Ben and AJ somehow got hurt then we would have a catching core of Burke and ??????. I don't know that kind of scares me a little.

The pitchers like him, KW likes what he has to offer, and so does Guillen. Walker and the Sox think they can get more out of his bat. He is still young and can realistically improve.

Why would they waive him, it's a critical position and for once they have quality depth. If Burke makes the team it will be due to his ability to play 3B.