*Official* Steroid Thread

QUOTE(soxhawks @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)
i love barry, i think he still is one of the best players even without roids.  i love how he takes no s*** from the media assholes.

How do you know he's one of the best without roids? He's been on them since for the past 5 years.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 02:27 AM)
How do you know he's one of the best without roids?  He's been on them since for the past 5 years.

Barry was a HOF-caliber player before that, although maybe not "one of the best [ever]." It's unfortunate that he felt the need to tarnish his reputation towards the end of his career.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
Barry was a HOF-caliber player before that, although maybe not "one of the best [ever]."  It's unfortunate that he felt the need to tarnish his reputation towards the end of his career.

I agree...always very impressive...I just love how he came into that press conference and looked bigger than ever. He was huge. I hope he is still taking them and gets busted by MLB...it would be too much fun....have a nice year Barry :finger

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
I agree...always very impressive...I just love how he came into that press conference and looked bigger than ever.  He was huge.  I hope he is still taking them and gets busted by MLB...it would be too much fun....have a nice year Barry  :finger

Maybe he's bigger because he worked out more..

And I agree also. He would have been in the hall regardless of the HR record.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
I agree...always very impressive...I just love how he came into that press conference and looked bigger than ever.  He was huge.  I hope he is still taking them and gets busted by MLB...it would be too much fun....have a nice year Barry  :finger

Sorry, but some of you people are delusional. If anything, Bonds looks a little bit smaller, definately softer than ever.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
Barry was a HOF-caliber player before that, although maybe not "one of the best [ever]."  It's unfortunate that he felt the need to tarnish his reputation towards the end of his career.

The point was that he said still one of the best players even without steroids and I'm saying there is no way he can know that he is if Bonds has been on the juice for 5 years. He may have been one of the best, but Bonds may also have been a shell of his former self by now without steroids.

From Bonds press conference, courtesy of Mariotti article..

Rational Americans should boo Bonds every chance they get the next two seasons, particularly after he used his Arizona session to spew more racial garbage about the Ruth chase. Two summers ago, when Bonds was in town for the All-Star Game, he said he was inspired to pass Ruth because he was white. Tuesday, he was asked why he believes people don't necessarily want him to beat The Babe.

''Because Babe Ruth is one of the greatest players ever, and Babe Ruth ain't black, either,'' Bonds said. ''I'm black. Blacks, we go through it a little more. I'm not a racist, but I live in the real world.''

He just gives more and more reasons to not like him.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
Do people really make decisions on liking him based on PC's...? JMO, but if nothing else when he speaks it's obvious that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed and I pay no attention.  :huh

Well I usually make my decisions by what comes out of the horses mouth. The only time I really hear him talk is PC's. Race has nothing to do with passing Ruth and him wanting to beat him cause he was white is messed up IMO.

When he says

I'm black. Blacks, we go through it a little more."

I say bulls*** to that....Im sorry...if anything he had it easier than most ball players...black, white, brown whatever....

I never had a problem with Barry being selfish...distancing himself from teammates, not talking to the media or whatever. Every player has their own way of getting mentally ready. I admired his ability to swing the bat and I have read some great articles on how he studies pitchers and approaches the game and I was extremely impressed.

However, I will not excuse the race card and I will not excuse steroids. Those are a couple of reasons I base my decision on whether I like a player or not....if he happend to mention those things in his PC then that's all I have to go on....

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
Well I usually make my decisions by what comes out of the horses mouth. The only time I really hear him talk is PC's.  Race has nothing to do with passing Ruth and him wanting to beat him cause he was white is messed up IMO. 

When he says

I say bulls*** to that....Im sorry...if anything he had it easier than most ball players...black, white, brown whatever....

I never had a problem with Barry being selfish...distancing himself from teammates, not talking to the media or whatever.  Every player has their own way of getting mentally ready.  I admired his ability to swing the bat and I have read some great articles on how he studies pitchers and approaches the game and I was extremely impressed.

However, I will not excuse the race card and I will not excuse steroids.  Those are a couple of reasons I base my decision on whether I like a player or not....if he happend to mention those things in his PC then that's all I have to go on....

Which is why I just let it go in one ear and out the other. Like I said.. not the sharpest tool in the shed.. ;)

I've been doing some thinking abouts Barry Bonds and his recent rant. Let me preface what I'm going to say with this. Bonds bulked up prior to the 99 season, "coincedentally" after the McGwire-Sosa Maris chase. In the 5 years since he has hit over 250 home runs.

So Bonds attributes his success to hard work. "That's about it" he says. Key word there, about, as it allows him technicality based mulligan on the truth. It seems to me that it might be hard work, or something, that is responsible for this. It certainly isn't genetics. What kind of production did Bobby Bonds put up beginning the season he turned 35 and beyond. Or is Barry implying that his father chose not to work so hard?

Bonds also said that he was always better than Jose Canseco. Though that was arguable in the early 90's, I'll give him that ... for the sake of argument. Now can Bonds also say he was better than his godfather, Willie Mays, in his prime? Not in this lifetime and maintain whatever shadow of credibility he still possesses. Barry Bonds was not good enough to carry Willie Mays' jock. Yet, what kind of numbers did Mays produce after reaching age 35? Was it simply because Mays wasn't a hard worker? If Bonds can increase his production so dramatically at a point when most people are looking at being washed up in the near future, there is more to it than hard work and flaxseed oil.

The day will come, when Bonds has to sit on a witness stand in open court and answer the questions he skirted around at his press conference. He won't be able to deflect these questions or turn it back on the prosecutor by say "put an asterisk next to your name". His answers won't be accepted just because it's him that's answering them.

Barry Bonds, your day in court is coming. And I can't wait.

Barry is a quote machine --http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2005214

"They say it makes your testicles shrink,'' he said. "I can tell you my testicles are the same size. They haven't shrunk. They're the same and work just the same as they always have."
Edited by Gene Honda Civic

Quote machine with another hit topping the charts....http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2005214

All this stuff about supplements, protein shakes, whatever. Man, it’s not like this is the Olympics. We don’t train four years for, like, a 10-second (event). We go 162 games. You’ve got to come back day after day after day. We’re entertainers. If I can’t go out there and somebody pays $60 for a ticket, and I’m not in the lineup, who’s getting cheated? Not me. There are far worse things like cocaine, heroin and those types of things.

g_bonds_il.jpg

"You want to define cheating in America? When they make a shirt in Korea for a $1.50 and sell it here for 500 bucks? And you ask me what cheating means? I'll tell you how I cheat. I cheat because I'm my daddy's son. He taught me the game. He taught me things nobody else knows. So that's how I cheat. I'm my daddy's son."

That's a direct quote, you can't make this s*** up.

My favorite Barry line was a few months ago when someone asked him a tough question he said "I don't have to answer that, I'm 40 years old." His interviews are right up their on the denial scale with Whitney Houston's interview when she basically had a breakdown on TV with quotes like "How can you ask me that, I'm a mother".... of course neither will answer the questions.

I hope Congress sends him a subpoena because this guy will crack under that pressure

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
Congress is threatening comtempt for people who don't show up to testify.

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050313/...ONGRESS-DC.html

I read or heard that one or more may be excused from testifying. This has Frank Thomas written all over it because of his ankle and the fact he's always been outspoken against steroids. However, I'd prefer he go on record before congress and state that fact.