*Official* Steroid Thread

Canseco Points Fingers at Clemens

By MICHAEL O'KEEFFE and T.J. QUINN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Jose Canseco's stick-and-tell memoir continued to shock the baseball world today with revelations that implicate Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and several journeymen players, as steroid users.

The book hit bookstores today and is the subject of a "60 Minutes" segment that will be broadcast on Sunday.

Canseco says in his book that he has no direct knowledge of steroid use by those players, and he isn't as brazen when accusing them as he is in describing the alleged steroid use of Mark McGwire, Jason Giambi, Ivan Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro and Juan Gonzalez, which the Daily News first reported Sunday. But he points a meaty finger at the game's biggest names in "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big."

Of Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young winner who has always denied using illegal performance enhancers, Canseco never says he knows for sure that the Rocket shot up. Canseco writes, "I've never seen Roger Clemens do steroids, and he never told me that he did." But he then goes on for two pages about how Clemens said he used the term "B-12 shots" - clubhouse code for steroids, Canseco says - with respect to other players. He then says how he remembers "thinking" that Clemens showed "classic signs" of steroid use, like sudden improvement late in a career.

Randy Hendricks, one of Clemens' agents, responded angrily today, telling the Daily News: "Neither Roger nor I have seen the book, but any such suggestion is absurd on its face. It's a wonder Canseco didn't name the Pope, given he named President Bush. Roger has not taken any illegal drugs or substances. He has passed all tests and will continue to do so in 2005. In 2004, with stricter testing, he passed the tests and won a record 7th Cy Young Award."

Canseco is as vague when discussing Sosa as he is with Clemens, again saying that he has no first-hand knowledge that he was juicing.

"I don't know Sammy Sosa personally," he writes, "so I can't say for a fact that he ever took steroids."

But again, he writes, he remembers "thinking" that Sosa's body changed more dramatically that McGwire's did before the home run summer of 1998.

"It seemed so obvious, it was a joke," Canseco writes.

"No comment," Sosa agent Adam Katz said.

About Bonds, Canseco says flat-out, "the simple fact is Barry Bonds was definitely using steroids." But he also cites Bonds' testimony before the BALCO grand jury, which was overheard by the Daily News and later revealed in the San Francisco Chronicle, as proof.

About Baltimore Oriole Miguel Tejada, the 2002 AL MVP and a former Oakland teammate of Canseco's, Canseo writes, "I started giving him advice about steroids, and he seemed interested in what I was saying." Canseco says he "can't say for sure" that Tejada cheated, but then writes that he would have been justified in doing so.

He also says that Seattle's Bret Boone, who grew noticeably bigger before the 2001 season, hinted that he was using steroids. Once again, Canseco doesn't use the "S" word, but says when he asked Boone what he had been doing, Boone said "Shhh, Don't tell anybody," and Canseco took that to mean he was "part of the club."

He also says he injected pitcher Wilson Alvarez and outfielder Dave Martinez when they were teammates in Tampa. He says that Tampa pitcher Tony Saunders, who famously broke his arm while pitching in a game, abused steroids.

Clemens spoke to the Daily News about steroids and related subjects in June, denying at the time he had done anything illegal to develop his physique.

Many players have wondered how he remains able to touch 98 on a radar gun at his age, but Clemens said in June that he had no need to vindicate himself or explain his success.

"My motivation, my desire, how I treat people, the respect I have came a long time before I had anything to do with this game of baseball," he said in June. "My mother worked three jobs. She didn't take no for an answer."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
I really hope this sleeze doesn't try to point the finger at the Big Hurt. I don't care who else on the sox he accuses just don't screw with the Big Hurt.

i hope he points the finger at whomever he knows to use 'roids, period. let's get this s*** behind us...

Edited by Goldmember

QUOTE(rangercal @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
I heard on am 1000 today that their is a report that they may be taking some names out before release. Palmeiro is the only name I heard they may be taking out.

If the book is out already then it's a bit late for anything to be removed..

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Canseco is a grade A asshole.  I'm completely against Roids, but the only reason he's doing this is so his piece of s*** self can make some money on his book.

f*** Jose, and I'm boycotting his book.  The guys just throwing out accusations.  He can kiss my ass.

Making $$.. the American Dream.

And what if he is telling the truth Jason.. ??

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
Making $$.. the American Dream.

And what if he is telling the truth Jason.. ??

The reason I don't think its true is because this comes down to the boy who cried wolf. Canseco is broke and is doing everything and anything he can to make a little money.

Larussa talked about it and said McGwire and Jose didn't even hang out and pretty much said the stuff was 100% BS. At least about Jose shooting him up. Then you have Canseco making this blatant accusations of actually shooting this guys up with roids and then later on he's asked and he goes I dont' remember, I may of done it once or twice for these players.

My 2 cents is when it smells like bulls***, it is bulls***. I'm not saying these guys aren't juicing, I just think Jose has absolutely ZERO credibility at this point.

I believe a lot of what Canseco says... He is a scumbag, but I still believe him when I combine what he says with what I've seen with my own eyes.

Clemens has always had some rumors following him about enhancement stuff... lots of inuendos and stuff though... Bernstein does it all the time on the Score and I have heard others....

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Canseco is a grade A asshole.  I'm completely against Roids, but the only reason he's doing this is so his piece of s*** self can make some money on his book.

f*** Jose, and I'm boycotting his book.  The guys just throwing out accusations.  He can kiss my ass.

Exactly. f*** Canseco. He's just trying to boost sales of his book throwing out more names that he's pulling out of his ass. If he's got direct evidence of Player X, Y and Z using steroids then say so. But don't give the bulls*** of "I think he did..." and then proclaim that he did with no evidence to back the claim up.

All this steroid talk and naming of random names reminds me of one thing...

joseph_mccarthy.gif

Are you or have you ever been a member of the Commun--er, a user of steroids?

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
Exactly.  f*** Canseco.  He's just trying to boost sales of his book throwing out more names that he's pulling out of his ass.  If he's got direct evidence of Player X, Y and Z using steroids then say so.  But don't give the bulls*** of "I think he did..." and then proclaim that he did with no evidence to back the claim up.

All this steroid talk and naming of random names reminds me of one thing...

joseph_mccarthy.gif

Are you or have you ever been a member of the Commun--er, a user of steroids?

:lolhitting :lolhitting

Maybe Canseco is a long lost relative of McCarthy.

Roger Clemens is a roid user because he had a big improvement late in his career? Is Canseco f***ing stupid? Hello 24-4 dumbass.

f*** Canseco. Aw they won't let you play baseball anymore so you are going to go tell on everyone... boo-hoo. Go back to prision with the rest of the conartists. :fyou

yeah i mean some of his accusitions are within reason but than he goes on and makes up a whole s*** load of them. I very much doubt pudge or clemens use roids and tejada. Even Giambi who has admitted to taking roids says that Canseco's book is 100% false and that maybe when the ball hit off his head and went off the fence maybe he forgot to distinguish the difference between reality and bs

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
Thing is, I don't buy it.  Not that many players are on roids, imo.  I just don't buy the everyones on steroids approach that he seems to be taking. I guess we'll see what happens when the players named are interviewed and what there take is.

If you want to know what's going on in a rat's nest, you have to ask a rat.

What's true and what's not is anybody's guess. But .... there is definitely a steroid problem in baseball. Some of this has to be true.

As for Frank Thomas, there is no way in hell I'll believe he's ever used steroids. His past public stances against them, and the Sox Spring Training stunt a couple of years ago tell me all I need to know.