Cardinals might need Willie Harris?

Jabroni

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
Guillen says in the papers today that Harris and Iguchi will compete for the starting job ... interesting.

Not sure I believe that, but there's nothing wrong with competition.

We still need a way to find out if Harris has any minor league options left.  That may very well factor into some decisions.

Jim I don't believe it at all. he has to say that because he wants Willie to play hard. A hard playing Willie makes for a better trade. People will be watching this spring. He gone by opening day. I hope I never see the little s*** again. Tell him to take his cell phone with him.

QUOTE(quickman @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Jim I don't believe it at all. he has to say that because he wants Willie to play hard. A hard playing Willie makes for a better trade. People will be watching this spring. He gone by opening day. I hope I never see the little s*** again. Tell him to take his cell phone with him.

My sentiments exactly. Here Here!

QUOTE(quickman @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)

quickman's back to him old self now...

thanks for those tickets...

Let's say this scenario goes down -- anyone can comment as they like:

Willie has a really good spring training -- he hits .300, steals some bases, gets down some bunts. Iguchi, on the other hand, hits well too -- .260-.270, showing some power, speed, but definitely not a good a spring as Harris.

What do you do?

My concern is the possible 'what if' -- what if Iguchi's numbers of his past two seasons don't translate well over here?

If you can get Cintron, that's one thing. But -- why get a lesser backup as a utility guy, when you already have Harris, a solid replacement at 2B and CF?

Let's say this scenario goes down -- anyone can comment as they like:

Willie has a really good spring training -- he hits .300, steals some bases, gets down some bunts.  Iguchi, on the other hand, hits well too -- .260-.270, showing some power, speed, but definitely not a good a spring as Harris.

What do you do?

My concern is the possible 'what if' -- what if Iguchi's numbers of his past two seasons don't translate well over here?

If you can get Cintron, that's one thing.  But -- why get a lesser backup as a utility guy, when you already have Harris, a solid replacement at 2B and CF?

Keith, my first reaction is that Harris is not well suited to be a bench player at this stage of his career.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
Keith, my first reaction is that Harris is not well suited to be a bench player at this stage of his career.

Agreed.

But as a platoon player...?

I'm just saying, if the scenario I stated above does happen, the Sox can't just dump Harris on the bench, can they? I guess they could do anything, but it'd be awfully stupid to either a.)bench Harris after a great spring, or b.)not trade him while his value is (probably) highest.

There's been a changing of the guard on the Southside.

Willie no longer fits in the team's plans.

Kenny locked in on Vizquel. He looked at Cora. He showed tons of interest in other guys, before ultimately singning a guy he never saw from Japan.

That should tell you want this organization thinks about Harris. Let him showcase himself in spring training and then dish him when his value is up. Believe me, there will be plenty of interest (he could do quite well in the NL).

He's not a bench player.

Agreed.

But as a platoon player...?

I'm just saying, if the scenario I stated above does happen, the Sox can't just dump Harris on the bench, can they?  I guess they could do anything, but it'd be awfully stupid to either a.)bench Harris after a great spring, or b.)not trade him while his value is (probably) highest.

Keith, I think your Option B is what this spring is all about.

I truly believe they haven't found the right deal yet.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
There's been a changing of the guard on the Southside.

Kenny locked in on Vizquel.  He looked at Cora.  He showed tons of interest in other guys, before ultimately singning a guy he never saw from Japan.

That should tell you want this organization thinks about Harris.  Let him showcase himself in spring training and then dish him when his value is up.  Believe me, there will be plenty of interest (he could do quite well in the NL).

He's not a bench player.

I think Cora was looked at more because of connections on this team. I don't remember him showing any interest in any other guys besides guch, vizquel and cora.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking to myself as I posted that.

Rest assured, Harris does have value. There is value in this league that can hit righties pretty well, is lightning fast, and plays outstanding defense. And, while he's not versetaille in what we need him to be (2b/SS/3B), he's still able to play second and centerfield, which is a pretty good commoditty.

I just don't think any of these fairytale deals will go down where we get our utility guy for Harris straight up. If it was like that, it would have happened already. I'd like to see them get a young pitcher, if they can, for Harris. You can never have too much pitching depth, and that's what I'd like to see Kenny focus on as far as rebuilding this farm system...

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)

It makes sense to wait as well because, guys may get hurt on other teams, or simply guys not playing up to expectations in ST who may look to us to acquire Harris. Value is all about demand, and the demand may be highest when ST is going on, or nearing completion.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)

While this line is very much true, I find it kind of funny and full of irony.

Part of the goal of the White Sox this offseason was to get rid of the power and add more on-base faster players who have good defense.

Is that not EXACTLY what Harris is, especially against RHP?

I know he's gone, and I know he has a questionable attitude...I just kind of think that is funny.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)

Part of the goal of the White Sox this offseason was to get rid of the power and add more on-base faster players who have good defense.

I know he's gone, and I know he has a questionable attitude...I just kind of think that is funny.

Harris doesn't utilize his speed, so what good is it if you can't manufacture anything with it. He's young, but Harris has flaws that prevent the Sox from making him the everyday second baseman. Ironic, maybe, but smart nonetheless.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)

It is ironic, isn't it? There has to be an issue with Harris's professionalism, or lack thereof, which has caused the Sox to sour on him. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I feel like Willie's days in a Sox uniform are numbered.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
Harris doesn't utilize his speed, so what good is it if you can't manufacture anything with it. He's young, but Harris has flaws that prevent the Sox from making him the everyday second baseman. Ironic, maybe, but smart nonetheless.

19 stolen bases and just about the best range of any secondbaseman in the AL is pretty good utilization of his speed, but maybe that's just me...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 02:54 AM)
19 stolen bases and just about the best range of any secondbaseman in the AL is pretty good utilization of his speed, but maybe that's just me...

Holy Crap! Just looking at your post makes me feel Willie should be an all star! I really do not understand the euphoria that this player has on people. He is an average ballplayer with an attitude problem. That is it. He will never be anything more. I have not seen one mediorce player in recent whitesox history receive more positive attention than this Little guy has from this board. What will we talk about once he is gone? Jon Adkins and his great ability? Until guys like Harris can demonstrate there greatness lets not waste time on fringe players. As for Harris being a great utility player, Unless he learns two other positions he is not a utility player. Not picking on you as much as the entire debate.

Exactly. He's an average ... eh, perhaps mediocre ... ballplayer. But so many people come on here basically saying that he just sucks (one extreme) that others start defending him and therefore building him up (the other extreme). Weigh all these pro and con Harris posts, and you probably get an accurate balance.