John Rooney on CSN right now

santo=dorf

The only reason I'm even saying this is because last time we had this much hoopla over a pitcher, his name was ... Jon Rauch. Here I thought the second coming of Roger Clemens was emerging from our system, and when he arrived - at a game I attended - he got rocked for about 11 runs in the first inning? I'm not sure the exact run total, as I was probably too drunk by the end of the inning to remember...mostly because I did not want to remember...but whatever it was, it was BAD.

hrcheat.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
More like 14 or 15 :rolly

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
The only reason I'm even saying this is because last time we had this much hoopla over a pitcher, his name was ... Jon Rauch.  Here I thought the second coming of Roger Clemens was emerging from our system, and when he arrived - at a game I attended - he got rocked for about 11 runs in the first inning?  I'm not sure the exact run total, as I was probably too drunk by the end of the inning to remember...mostly because I did not want to remember...but whatever it was, it was BAD.

I see no correlation between Rauch's injury, subsequent surgery/loss of velocity/stuff/top prospect status and Brandon McCarthy's timeline.

Actually, the relation is quite simple. BMAC has prooven nothing at the major league level yet he's already dubbed the messiah of upcoming Sox pitching prospects.

Look no further than the Cubs, who KNOW how to build pitching...their "prospects" usually spent 3-5 years (usually 5, unless your name is Mark Prior) in the minors before they even allow them to throw pen sessions in the majors.

Joe Crede was invincible in the minors...I think my point was made.

I'm all for BMAC becoming something, but I'm not holding my breath, he will probably get traded away for Roberto Alomar or someone else before we ever see him in the majors.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
I see no correlation between Rauch's injury, subsequent surgery/loss of velocity/stuff/top prospect status and Brandon McCarthy's timeline.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
Actually, the relation is quite simple.  BMAC has prooven nothing at the major league level yet he's already dubbed the messiah of upcoming Sox pitching prospects.

The point is just because Jon Rauch is not who YOU THOUGHT he would be, has no bearing on wether or not Brandon McCarthy is a sucessful Major Leaguer. And his timeline shouldn't be effected positively or negatively just because Jon Rauch didn't impress you in your one drunken outing to the park.

Look no further than the Cubs, who KNOW how to build pitching...their "prospects" usually spent 3-5 years (usually 5, unless your name is Mark Prior) in the minors before they even allow them to throw pen sessions in the majors.

McCarthy is entering his 4th season in the Minors.

Joe Crede was invincible in the minors...I think my point was made.

Again, He has ZERO bearing on McCarthy's future.

I'm all for BMAC becoming something, but I'm not holding my breath, he will probably get traded away for Roberto Alomar or someone else before we ever see him in the majors.

At least you closed with a origanal joke.

Somebody has obvious sarcasm issues, and there really is no need to talk down to someone because you think you know more and/or think you are better than that person. And yes, you are absolutly correct in your sarcastic arrogrant presumption, that was the ONLY Sox game I've ever been too in my life, and I was drunk while I was there because I'm really a Cubs fans in disguise.

Calm down just a tad...I believe it's my right to have and voice my opinion weather you agree with it or not. And I understand poor performances from other players have no bearing on weather Bmac amounts to anything at the ML level...that wasn't my intended point, I'm merely saying lets hold off on the hoopla until he prooves he deserves it.

Prospects are a dime a dozen, more often than not they turn out to be just that, prospects.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
The point is just because Jon Rauch is not who YOU THOUGHT he would be, has no bearing on wether or not Brandon McCarthy is a sucessful Major Leaguer.  And his timeline shouldn't be effected positively or negatively just because Jon Rauch didn't impress you in your one drunken outing to the park.

McCarthy is entering his 4th season in the Minors.

Again, He has ZERO bearing on McCarthy's future.

At least you closed with a origanal joke.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
The only reason I'm even saying this is because last time we had this much hoopla over a pitcher, his name was ... Jon Rauch.  Here I thought the second coming of Roger Clemens was emerging from our system, and when he arrived - at a game I attended - he got rocked for about 11 runs in the first inning?  I'm not sure the exact run total, as I was probably too drunk by the end of the inning to remember...mostly because I did not want to remember...but whatever it was, it was BAD.

hrcheat.jpg

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

unfortunantly I remember that game too and I wasn't drunk, which was also unfortunate

im telling you, im not against him getting a chance if there is an injury on the sox. I think the fact that he is not an overpowering pitcher, and a more location and finesse pitcher, might bode welll for his development. He is sorta like a maddux thrower, I would like to see him up sooner than later.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
im telling you, im not against him getting a chance if there is an injury on the sox.  I think the fact that he is not an overpowering pitcher, and a more location and finesse pitcher, might bode welll for his development.  He is sorta like a maddux thrower, I would like to see him up sooner than later.

I'd rather see him up later than sooner. I'd rather keep BMac through his prime than loosing him to free agency as he gets there.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)

Big Jon has a chance to break into the National's rotation this year. The Nat's notes say "Rauch was impressive during his short stint with the Expos last year, going 3-0 with a 1.54 ERA after being called up from Triple-A Edmonton in early August." I think he can be a pretty good MLB pitcher, but he peed off KW and is gone.

You can't give up on a guy just because he got splattered in one game you saw. If the only game you saw Buehrle was when the Jankees rocked him for 7 in the first inning last year you'd be jeering him too.

McCarthy should get a start or two and with so many games on Comcast, I hope we can see what he's got for ourselves.

Edited by TLAK

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Oh my, I saw BMac late last night on CSN...holy s***.  Does he eat any food at all?

I mean there's skinny people, but hes thinner than that.

He looks like hes been in a cave without food.

good. hes only 21, he'll fill into his body when he gets into a major league workout schedule, and should only get bigger. As he gets bigger his velocity should increase. the only place his weight and bulk can go is up

QUOTE(TLAK @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 06:18 AM)
Big Jon has a chance to break into the National's rotation this year.  The Nat's notes say "Rauch was impressive during his short stint with the Expos last year, going 3-0 with a 1.54 ERA after being called up from Triple-A Edmonton in early August."  I think he can be a pretty good MLB pitcher, but he peed off KW and is gone.

Are those the facts? Or is that your perception of the facts?

Rauch, like Kip Wells, only pitch well in pressure-less environments. The only time Rauch pitched well with the Sox was in September of 2002 when the Sox were eliminated from postseason play.

I don't want to sound overly optimistic about one of our prospects but I am very confident of this happening this year : El Duque will get injured in his first start, April 8th. Then, McCarthy will be brought up to replace him in his next start and throw a no-hitter against Cleveland on April 14th. He then rattles off 12 straight wins before losing at the end of June. McCarthy pulls into the All-Star break with a record of 17-2 and is named starting pitcher for the A.L.

After the break, he throws a perfect game against the Royals and finishes the season with a record of 28-5. I think that this is pretty likely to happen this year. If not him , then Tetsu Yofu.

Just watch - Jon Rauch is going to the HOF.

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY