Big Ten Tournament

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
Why are Illini fans worrying about any game besides the next?

Minnesota is a tough team, probably will not win, but they should not be over looked.

Also, there will be a lot on Weber's mind. Either he will gain strength or become distracted. Its unfortunate, but it could impact the team.

SB

He won't be coaching.

And who said we are looking past Minnesota?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
Why are Illini fans worrying about any game besides the next?

Minnesota is a tough team, probably will not win, but they should not be over looked.

Also, there will be a lot on Weber's mind. Either he will gain strength or become distracted. Its unfortunate, but it could impact the team.

SB

why wouldn't we care if good teams are out of the tournament?

And yes, your completely right, I highly doubt if weber coaches the rest of the tournament.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
Implicit in the idea that it matters whether or not Iowa beats MSU.

If your posting about easier final games, it means that you already think that the Minnesota game is over.

SB

or..........it's more like, "if we get to the finals, we won't have to play MSU."

don't make anything out of this

I don't know what to say. Please pray is all.

Dawn Weber suffered from torn aorta

ESPN.com news services

CHICAGO -- The mother of Illinois coach Bruce Weber died Friday after surgery to repair a torn aorta, a hospital spokesman said.

Dawn Weber, 81, had undergone surgery at Rush University Medical Center after complaining of chest pains before the top-ranked Illini beat Northwestern in the Big Ten tournament.

Hospital spokesman John Pontarelli said Weber, of Milwaukee, died about 6 p.m.

The aorta is the main artery that carries blood from the heart. The tear was described as a splitting of the inner layers of the aorta, allowing blood to flow between them.

Bruce Weber's status for Saturday's tournament semfinal against Minnesota is undetermined, said Illinois sports information director Kent Brown. Brown added that a decision may not be made until before the game.

Brown said the coach was at the hospital when his mother died.

Medical staff at the arena attended to Dawn Weber, who is a widow, before she was taken to the hospital, Brown said.

"She was here at the (United Center) with a cousin to pick up her tickets before the game when she felt chest pains," he said.

Bruce Weber's wife, Megan, told her husband of his mother's illness after the Illini defeated Northwestern 68-51 in the tournament quarterfinals.

"Megan asked us not to tell him before the game," Brown said, adding that if Dawn Weber's condition at the time was dire the coach would have been informed immediately.

Weber left the arena for the hospital shortly after the game.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
Implicit in the idea that it matters whether or not Iowa beats MSU.

If your posting about easier final games, it means that you already think that the Minnesota game is over.

SB

:bang

Or it means that if we get past Minnesota we have a much easier final game.

Note how many Illini fans have been saying the road would be easier without MSU.

I was just kidding around because I never thought MSU would get very far so I thought it was interesting people were saying that it would be much easier.

And Im just killing time waiting for the next game.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
Note how many Illini fans have been saying the road would be easier without MSU.

I was just kidding around because I never thought MSU would get very far so I thought it was interesting people were saying that it would be much easier.

And Im just killing time waiting for the next game.

SB

thats cool.. personally im glad to see the better teams go down..

ide rather play minnesota than indiana.. and i wouldnt wanna play MSU either..

thats basically what i was getting at

OMG, what a game by the Hawkeyes. They had that one stretch with like 6 stretch turnovers in the 2nd half but besides that they played very well and won that game.

Heck, they did all they could the final two minutes to hand the game to MSU because that game was Iowa's. If this doesn't get Iowa into the dance I'll be pissed, but regardless I want them to just keep on winning.

On a horrible sidenote I just got home and turned on ESPN and they are saying Bruce Weber's mom passed away. Horrible news and prayers go out to him.

Personally if I am a favorite, the teams I don't want to play are the ones with everything on the line cause those are the teams that will be going all out. You could even count the teams with nothing on the line either ,like the NU's.

But in the case of Iowa they got everything in terms of tourney future on the line so they better damn well leave it all on the court. I think you could say the same about OSU except they are soley playing for pride and for next year and then you have Wisconsin who is gonna want to improve their seeding and of course Minny.

Its gonna be a fun game tomorrow whether its OSU or Wisconsin. Iowa has split with OSU and blown a game against Wisconsin but I look forward to playing either of them. I'm just glad Iowa has another game.

Even with the win today I still don't buy Iowa making the dance unless they make the Big 10 final. You don't go 7-9 in the Big 10 and expect a tournament bid when you win 2 games in the Big 10 tourney.

Also, don't overrate their OOC games that they won...those were with Pierce, and he's not going to be playing again anytime soon.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
Even with the win today I still don't buy Iowa making the dance unless they make the Big 10 final. You don't go 7-9 in the Big 10 and expect a tournament bid when you win 2 games in the Big 10 tourney.

Also, don't overrate their OOC games that they won...those were with Pierce, and he's not going to be playing again anytime soon.

Fact is they won the games. Regardless of whether he's on the team or not anymore isn't the case. The Hawks have more big wins then any other bubble team and they proved today that they could win without Pierce by taking out the #10 team in the country Michigan State.

21 wins, quite a few quality wins including the big wins over MSU, Texas, Louisville...then of course ISU, Texas Tech, Northern Iowa (should be tourney bound).

So let's see Iowa is in and Minnesota is in looks like the"worst" of the big 6 conferences is going to get 5 teams in, just like the "best" conference in the ACC.

Also I am a little worried about the rest of the tournament as Minnesota could be faily easy win, it will be hard to best Iowa or Wisconsin for the third time this year especially after what happened today with Webber.

QUOTE(orangekrush88 @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
So let's see Iowa is in and Minnesota is in looks like the"worst" of the big 6 conferences is going to get 5 teams in, just like the "best" conference in the ACC.

Also I am a little worried about the rest of the tournament as Minnesota could be faily easy win, it will be hard to best Iowa or Wisconsin for the third time this year especially after what happened today with Webber.

I hope to hell Iowa is in. Of course I read the writeup by the AP and they indicate that Iowa would have ot win it all to get in. That would be such horses*** and I think they are just talking guarantee or something. Plus I ain't listening to the AP.

All I know is it would be a travesty if the Hawks weren't let in after all the big wins they have had. Sure they struggled in the big 10, but they still have an oustanding record with a lot of big wins.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
Came across some tickets to the BTT Semifinals tomorrow, so I'll be at the UC cheering on the Illini and Iowa.

Sweet...I can't even imagine what its like at the big 10 tourney. It was insane tonight at the big west tourney and we don't have near the student sections that the big conferences have or the size arena's.

First off, knocking off Northern Iowa isn't a "big" win. Secondly, you have to look at a team's body of work...and a majority of that body of work is a mediocre big 10 record, plain and simple. The big 10 is quite possibly the worst major conference this year and not being able to go .500 in it shows me something.

I still think Pierce's absence is going to play a major role in them getting a bid. There are plenty of teams that have just as good of, if not a little better resumes than Iowa. I really think they need a win tommorow, but with their AD (Iowa that is) being part of the selection committee (maybe the head guy, i'm not sure) I'm betting they'll get slipped in which is horses***.

I understand you're pulling for Iowa, but I can't look past that big 10 record. It's friggin' atrocious. So, in a logical world they would probably have to win tommorow to be a lock, but in reality they're probably in because they big 10 always has some sort of pull.

And for those of you who say the big 10 tourney is intense, have you been to any round of the NCAA tourney? I went my freshman year when ND knocked off Illinois and it was the greatest sporting event I've ever attended. I went both days and saw all the games in the pool, and it was loud and crazy ALL DAY. The atmosphere at the NCAA is unmatched, IMO...it's ridiculous.

Edited by Fotop