White Sox v. San Diego (3/9/05)

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
Ohh, damn.

Jeff showing a nice little slider (or a curve) there, nice velocity too.

I like Jeff, he had some terrible luck last year in the bigs, a lot of soft hit singles against him last year.

I like Pablo Ozuna after watching him for a couple of games and listening on the radio. He's 6-15 this spring (.400) and has shown some solid speed and good fielding. While ST doesn't mean a whole lot, I think he can be a pretty good utility infielder.

He's certainly shown more than 0-9 on the spring Willie. I would rather not have him at SS.

Rowand, I definitely agree with yours and Jason's assessment of Diaz. I'm not saying he's going to be the staff ace or anything like that.

I just don't think it's very good judgement to pass a total opinion on a guy when he's had very little time up at the major league level (and was really handled poorly by the Sox organization, IMHO).

People seem to dislike that he hasn't shown control at the major league level, yet at AAA, he was very good at keeping batters off the base (as far as walking guys). I realize AAA and the majors are two different beasts, but I'm not ready to judge him quite yet...

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
I'm with ya.  Ozuna has looked great.  I think we will be trading Willie soon.

The hitting and defense has looked damn good, but it's spring training and I try not to get caught up in that stuff. What I love is that he seems to bust his ass off.

Checked his profile--had no idea that he was 30 yrs old. Thats probably telling.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
Yeesh, sweeney's swing is absolutely beautiful.

Rowand, is this your first time seeing Sweeney live?

Reason I ask, it's my first time, and he has an odd batting stance. Almost John Olerud like.

But, that swing is BEAUTIFUL, like you said...

Just curious, why hasn't Pablo Ozuna gotten much of a shot in the majors? He was great in the minors...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pablo_ozuna.shtml

Minor League Totals: 8 years

.317 career AVG

.357 career OBP

.443 career SLG

.800 career OPS

234 career SB

24 career CS

I guess it might have something to do with him mysteriously getting 4 years older. :lol:

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
Rowand, I definitely agree with yours and Jason's assessment of Diaz.  I'm not saying he's going to be the staff ace or anything like that.

I just don't think it's very good judgement to pass a total opinion on a guy when he's had very little time up at the major league level (and was really handled poorly by the Sox organization, IMHO). 

People seem to dislike that he hasn't shown control at the major league level, yet at AAA, he was very good at keeping batters off the base (as far as walking guys).  I realize AAA and the majors are two different beasts, but I'm not ready to judge him quite yet...

Fair enough and I agree that's it's to early to give up on him. Honestly, my opinion on him is more from watching him pitch then the results he has shown. I actually really like Felix because of the control he has shown throughout his minor league career, like I said earlier his fastball just scares me, it's just to straight and he has to locate it perfectly for it to be effective. The thing is Felix in the minors proved he was able to do that. If he can get over this mental hump he seems to have who knows he could be a successful 5th starter in this league, I surely hope so.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)

Reason I ask, it's my first time, and he has an odd batting stance.  Almost John Olerud like.

You know what, I believe it is. I would have remembered a swing that nice :D Gotta love having these spring training games on tv, I finally get to see some of our prospects, pretty exciting for me.

I'm out, off to play some poker.

Anyways, just wanted to say that I'll closely be following Owens this summer. Looks like he has some good plate discipline, with some real nice speed -- if he could make it to the big leagues, it'd be damn nice to have a guy with Jeremy Reed's plate discipline and Scotty Podsednik's speed (not saying he's up there with either of the two quite yet).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)

Reason I ask, it's my first time, and he has an odd batting stance.  Almost John Olerud like.

Ya, he has quite the unique swing, but if you notice he gets his hands through the zone ultra quick. The one thing he doesn't do often enough at this point is drive the ball.

However that will come with experience. I really compare him to Garret Anderson and I think they'll have similar careers offensively. In the sense Sweeney will come up and be a good average hitter and slowly yet surely also turn into a good power hitter.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
Just curious, why hasn't Pablo Ozuna gotten much of a shot in the majors?  He was great in the minors...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pablo_ozuna.shtml

Minor League Totals: 8 years

.317 career AVG

.357 career OBP

.443 career SLG

.800 career OPS

234 career SB

24 career CS

I guess it might have something to do with him mysteriously getting 4 years older. :lol:

Ozuna was one of the top rated prospects in someones organization for quite a while.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
Fair enough and I agree that's it's to early to give up on him.  Honestly, my opinion on him is more from watching him pitch then the results he has shown.  I actually really like Felix because of the control he has shown throughout his minor league career, like I said earlier his fastball just scares me, it's just to straight and he has to locate it perfectly for it to be effective.  The thing is Felix in the minors proved he was able to do that.  If he can get over this mental hump he seems to have who knows he could be a successful 5th starter in this league, I surely hope so.

The key is, I Think in the minors he got away with his mistakes. Ie, he hits too much of the plate and in the majors its just not going to work out. I really don't think he's gonna be anything that great. Right now I'd say Baj and Munoz are better long term options. Thats soley because I like Baj more and like his mixture of pitches a bit better.

Diaz will pitch in the majors though. I just don't see much better than a 4.5 ERA out of him, even as a reliever.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
Random question, anyone know where to find any 1-2 or 2-5 games in the suburbs in the summer?

no, but if you feel like drivin go to trump in indiana they have a pretty decent poker room, good 3-6 and a really good no-limit on thursdays