Terri Shaivo thread

JUGGERNAUT

What should be done for Schiavo?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done for Schiavo?

• Pull - Remove the feeding tube which would result in starvation
    • Kill - Dying of starvation is a painful process. We can not rule out that Terri has active pain receptors still working in her brain.
    • Pump - Keep the feeding tube in place

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the greatest respect for hospice workers. When my grandmother was battling pancreatic cancer, my mom, aunts and uncles, made the poor visiting hospice workers feel very unwelcome. To my relatives they were a real reminder that my grandmother would be passing away.

When I last visited, I happened to meet the lady that cared for my grandmother and appologized for some of the comments that had been tossed her way. She replied that that was a common thing and that eventually, the families come around.

Dealing with death on a daily basis takes a special person. Thank God there are some very special people on this planet.

If this board is any indication the media coverage was way overblown. Most of our threads get 2 or 3 thousand replies and 10 thousands views, this one only had 550 replies. No one really interested in this subject.

Wacko doesn't deserve much coverage. The few wacko threads we have have died a quick death. Basically what could come out that would shock us? Oops, Jacko, that was a rhetorical question, don't . . . :o

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
I'll go with the under myself.  Whacko Jacko will take center stage now for the media jackals.

I'll bet the house on the over. The Autopsy results are going to take a few weeks to come out.

Thank God Michael had his attorney with him, in the room, when Terri passed. I am certain she would have preferred to be surrounded by Michael and his attorney, instead of her brother and sister.

It just is too sad that Michael couldn't be surrounded by his current spouse and their children in his time of sorrow.

I do have to say this. It completely amazes me when I see the news. All the protestors are bawling and crying like they lost their own mother or sister. Most of these people didn't even know this woman. Why are they carrying on?? I felt bad for them but why would you be going on like that for? Like I said b4 though RIP Terri and May flights of Angels wing you to your rest!

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
Thank God Michael had his attorney with him, in the room, when Terri passed. I am certain she would have preferred to be surrounded by Michael and his attorney, instead of her brother and sister.

Maybe her own brother should have thought about that before he started a fight IN the hospis with the cops.

PLEASE GO VISIT MADDOX'S WEBSITE!!!

If you're as sick of hearing about this person as I am this will crack you the hell up.

http://www.maddox.xmission.com

A quote.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Terri has been in a persistent vegetative state for many years now. In fact, she didn't die yesterday, she died years ago when she was first declared brain dead. Just because her organs can be kept alive doesn't mean that she's a living person.

Why are you involving yourself in a private family matter anyway? You don't know her. There are thousands of people dying each day because they can't afford surgery, medicine, or chemo therapy, why aren't there protesters trying to save their lives? Most of these people got diseases naturally, unlike Terri who went into a coma because she was so concerned with vanity that she puked her body dry of nutrients. Isn't that hypocritical of you?

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
Maybe her own brother should have thought about that before he started a fight IN the hospis with the cops.

:lolhitting You will defend the guy until the end. How about Terri's sister, what did she do to get banned from the bedside besides wanting Terri to live? Michael showed no mercy until the end.

And Nuke, these are the types of moments that change America. Why are we not at every bedside? Because by drawing attention here, millions of Americans have written living wills, they have opened dialogs with their families and spouses concerning their last requests. There have been these bedside vigils, but none have an ex-spouse inflicting his will against the Governor, US legislature, and even the President of the US.

Ironic you quoted material that mentions not being able to afford medical care. Protesters are trying to save those people who die because they cannot afford surgery or even insurance. They are called Democrats who fight for single payer health insurance or universal coverage. I believe it is the GOP that blocks that one. But you probably do not see the problem, you already have a government supplied health care program.

I hope in the circumstances surrounding your death, people can find the same laughter you've found in the circumstances surrounding Terri's death. It's a gift that should keep on giving. :headbang

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 08:53 AM)

It just is too sad that Michael couldn't be surrounded by his current spouse and their children in his time of sorrow.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
Defend who...? Just who did I defend...? Michael.. ? I didn't say s*** about Michael...

It was Michael who banned the sister and brother from the room.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 04:20 AM)
This reminds me of someone else, who won't fluctuate one iota on a particular issue because this person feels so strongly.  Just saying.

Thank you,

I'll admit it. Also, just saying. ;) :D

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
It was Michael who banned the sister and brother from the room.

Not according to the Hospis workers and the LEO that removed him. The point is that I wasn't defending Michael one bit but commenting on her brother's behavior.

Want to try to cut and paste some more to make it look like your right.. :rolly

Michael Schiavo's attorney when asked why his client did not allow the family to be there

Thursday afternoon, Michael Schiavo's attorney George Felos answered accusations that his client would not allow Terri Schiavo's parents to see her during her last moments alive.

"Mr Schiavo's overriding concern here was to provide for Terri a peaceful death with dignity," Felos said. "This death was not for the sibling and not for the spouse and not for the parents. This was for Terri. She has a right to die peaceably in a loving setting and with dignity and that was his (Michael's) overriding concern."

I guess I made the mistake of thinking his attorney, who was there, and advising Michael, actually knew what was happening. Thanks for clearing that up.

One more time... WHERE did I defend Michael...??

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/01/news_pf/...lies__eve.shtml

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just after 7:30 a.m., Bobby Schindler and his sister Suzanne - accompanied by a priest, Father Frank Pavone - were led to Terri's bedside. They stayed in the room for about an hour and a half.

While Bobby and Suzanne said their goodbyes, Michael and Brian Schiavo waited in the room down the hall. What happened next is unclear. According to Brian Schiavo and Felos, a hospice worker told them that Bobby Schindler had argued with an officer outside Terri's room. Apparently, a nurse had asked everyone to leave the room so Terri's condition could be assessed.

Just before 9 a.m., a hospice nurse hurried into Michael's and Brian's room.

"If you want to see Terri," the nurse said, "you need to go now."

Michael Schiavo went to his wife and cradled her. Terri lay on her left side, wearing a pale nightgown. The covers were pulled up. She had stuffed animals under her arms. Four hospice workers in the room were crying.

Michael held his wife and talked to her. Brian stood next to Michael, massaging his back.

"Michael," he said, "it's going to be all right."

Almost immediately, Terri stopped breathing.

"We were there about 60 seconds," Brian said, "and she was gone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 07:36 AM)
Michael Schiavo's attorney when asked why his client did not allow the family to be there

I guess I made the mistake of thinking his attorney, who was there, and advising Michael, actually knew what was happening. Thanks for clearing that up.

After LEO had removed him.... after he made a scene... Nice guy that brother of hers...

Oh..

Where did I defend Michael..???

:lolhitting :cheers

Ok you win.

I will always agree with Steff. She is always right.