Terri Shaivo thread

JUGGERNAUT

What should be done for Schiavo?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done for Schiavo?

• Pull - Remove the feeding tube which would result in starvation
    • Kill - Dying of starvation is a painful process. We can not rule out that Terri has active pain receptors still working in her brain.
    • Pump - Keep the feeding tube in place

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the parents weren't at her bedside;

THE parents of a brain-damaged Florida woman at the centre of a right to die controversy were blocked by her husband from being at her bedside during the final hours of her life, a family spokesman said today.

Paul O'Donnell, a Roman Catholic Franciscan monk and a spokesman for the Bob and Mary Schindler, the parents of Terri Schiavo, announced Mrs Schiavo's death just before 1am (AEST).

The lawyer for her husband, Michael Schiavo, also said she had died.

Hours earlier, Mr O'Donnell told of how the parents were distressed:

"Right now the family is requesting that they be allowed to be at Terri's bedside. They want to be at her bedside and they are being denied by Michael Schiavo. As you can imagine, they are very, very upset," Mr O'Donnell added.

"They have told the police they would be willing to be in the room with Michael Schiavo and they are begging to go in and be with Terri," Mr O'Donnell told reporters.

The Schindlers and Terri Schiavo's husband, Michael Schiavo, have battled in court for more than seven years over whether the stricken woman should be left to die.

The husband says Terri Schiavo told him she did not want to be left an invalid. The parents say she could have improved with treatment.

Acting in the case for the sixth time, the US Supreme Court late yesterday spurned a petition from the parents for a temporary emergency stay that would have forced doctors to resume her artificial feeding while justices considered the case.

It was the sixth time case had been to the Supreme Court amid heated debate between supporters of what is being described as "a culture of life" and those who believed government should have no role in end-of-life issues. The court has each time refused to get involved.

Terri Schiavo had been in a "persistent vegetative state" since a 1990 cardiac arrest that severely damaged her brain and left her incapable of moving and communicating.

Her feeding tube was removed on March 18.

I guess Michael was a good husband right to the end. I am certain that Terri mentioned she didn't want her parents near her when whe died.

That guy is such an evil man. I hope hell has a special place for him.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 09:26 AM)
A spokeperson for the family said on CNN that they were there up until 10 minutes previous and let in about 30 minutes after. I can't imagine that anyone knew the exact moment she was going to die...  :huh

I heard this too.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
Wow. RIP to Terri and hopefully everybody can move on in some regards in their lives. Hopefully the media circus will let the people rest and get on with what they need to.

Don't worry the media circus is booking their tickets to the Jakko trial as we speak.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
Just curious, I've seen their name spelled both Schiavo and Schaivo, but always pronounced 'Shy-Voh'.  Why is it not 'Shee-ah-voh'?? I think it's Italian, right? Just wondering?

If I had to guess whether it's Italian or not I'd say no.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
Don't worry the media circus is booking their tickets to the Jakko trial as we speak.

I think there will plenty to stick around for the "wrongfull death" lawsuits against Michael...

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
A weak silver lining to this whole thing-- I'm sure this situation has caused many people to go out and make living wills.  Very well could prevent this from happening to someone else.

My law firm gave all of us(free of charge) the living will and healthcare power of attorney forms as well as detailed instructions on how to fill them out. They also made the same offer to all of our clients.

They sent out this email which has some pretty good information:

Healthcare Decision-Making in the News

The Terry Schiavo case has re-focused national attention on the subject of health care decision-making. Ms. Schiavo’s husband and parents are fighting over whether the woman’s feeding tube can be removed. Her husband says she would not want to be kept alive artificially; her parents disagree.

Ms. Schiavo’s story is heartbreaking for a number of reasons, but perhaps the biggest tragedy is how easily the dispute could have been avoided had Ms. Schiavo’s wishes been in writing. There has been a great deal of talk about living wills in connection with the Schiavo case -- and while they are important -- a living will alone would not have been enough to resolve a Terri Schiavo situation. On the other hand, a document granting power of attorney would have greatly reduced the conflict.

Living Will vs. Healthcare Power of Attorney

A power of attorney for health care is a document that allows you to appoint an agent to make health care decisions for you if you cannot do so and to indicate your wishes regarding life-sustaining treatment (thereby providing importance guidance to your agent) and organ donation at death. On the other hand, in Illinois, a living will, unlike a health care power of attorney, only applies in the limited circumstances of a terminal condition. A terminal condition means an incurable and irreversible condition such that death is imminent and the application of any death delaying procedures serves only to prolong the dying process. Even if you sign a living will, food and water cannot be withdrawn if it would be the only cause of death.

Few people feel comfortable discussing end of life issues, and in fact, statistics show that the vast majority of families are not prepared for such an event, as the Schiavo case illustrates. When it comes to death and dying, even close-knit families can disagree on whether there is a right time for things like discontinuing artificial life support or removing a feeding tube. To avoid discord among family members - and a potential court battle – we recommend doing as much as possible to ensure that your wishes will be carried out. The best way to do this is to grant someone "power of attorney" to make medical care decisions in the event of your incapacitation and to write a "living will.”

An attny is speaking right now..

- Terri died at approx 9am ET

- Michael has been living at the hospis for the past 2 weeks

- Terry had some breathing issues - labored at the end in spurts.

- some of her limbs became cold and "modeling" was taking place (red spots on the skin..??)

- When MS was in the room visiting yesterday last afternoon, the cops told him her family was there to visit, he left and came back when they left

- later in the night a hospis worker readjusted Terri to ease her breathing

- this morning approx 7am, her family and a father wanted to visit, MS left, they were there till 8:45am..

- 8:45 am hospis told them (MS and attny's) she was very close to death and advised MS to go say goodbye to her.. at that time the hospis worker told them that the family had been asked to leave the room so the hospis doctors could assess Terri.. at that time her brother was resistant and got into an argument with the cops and was asked to leave (hospis to speak later today)

- Her parents were NOT there this morning.. :huh and had not been there since Easter Sunday

- 8:45 MS, hospis workers, were with her.. and then she passed.

-9am Hospis called her parents to ask them to come to the hospis.. when they got there they were told she died. Spend some time with her then left. After they left the hospis workers bathed Terri, MS went back to visit with her body.. then the ME came in and took her away.

- Flatly denies that the family was denied access to her. (hospis to comment on that later)

He's praising the hospis workers now and appears to be finishing up on that.