Bears Sign Another WR

"LAKE FOREST, Ill. - The Bears on Wednesday signed unrestricted free agent wide receiver Eddie Berlin to a one-year contract.

The 5-11, 195-pounder was a reserve receiver and special teams standout in four seasons with the Titans after Tennessee selected him in the fifth round of the 2001 draft out of Northern Iowa.

Berlin appeared in 57 games with one start for the Titans, catching 24 passes for 370 yards with 2 touchdowns. He also registered 32 special teams tackles and averaged 19.5 yards on 30 kickoff returns and 3.7 yards on seven punt returns.

Berlin had 20 receptions for 278 yards and 1 TD as Tennessee's third receiver last season, including one catch for 26 yards in a 19-17 overtime loss to the Bears.

The 27-year-old is expected to compete for a backup job in Chicago. He is very quick, having been timed at 4.42 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

At Northern Iowa, Berlin won the Missouri Valley Conference high jump competition as a freshman with a jump of 6'8".

In 2003, he won the Muscular Dystrophy Association's golf tournament in Des Moines while paired with Bears' all-time sack leader Richard Dent, raising $25,000 for the charity.

Berlin is the fourth free agent the Bears have signed to bolster their offense this offseason, joining wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad, right tackle Fred Miller and guard Roberto Garza."

Add one more WR to the roster. I'm glad to see Angelo is really working the free agency pool. This guy can catch that ball and will certainly contribute to special teams. Nothing to write home about, but he is another nice addition to the WR core.

Is Benson already suiting up for a Bears uniform? :ph34r:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
Going for the White Special Teams reciever.  After losing out in the Tim Dwight sweepstakes to New England we needed someone to fill that role.

Dude I love that avatar! :lol: It gets me laughing each and every time I see it. Awesome find! :cheers

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
I think the Bears could take Cadillac just as easily as Benson.

SB

It's been said Carnell is the biggest "playmaker" of the three.

Personally, I don't know how you could pass on four consecutive years of 1,000 rushing in the Big 12.

I just happen to think Benson is a better suited for an easy transition to the NFL. He's just so damn talented.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
Going for the White Special Teams reciever.  After losing out in the Tim Dwight sweepstakes to New England we needed someone to fill that role.

I love Dave's follow through after hitting Godzilla, priceless.

I'm still not sold on a RB in the 1st round. Why waste such a high valued pick on a backup? If it ends up being like the Rams w/ Faulk and Jackson.....that's a different story. To choose a backup that high, HE BETTER PAN OUT!

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
I'm still not sold on a RB in the 1st round. Why waste such a high valued pick on a backup? If it ends up being like the Rams w/ Faulk and Jackson.....that's a different story. To choose a backup that high, HE BETTER PAN OUT!

Many consider Cedric Benson as much of a sure thing as anyone in the draft. I still think he would be a great pick at 4.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
After reading the write up in the Trib, there is no doubt if Smith and Rodgers are already off of the board, the Bears are taking a RB.

Most excellent.

Any link SS, or do you have the name of the reporter?

We have a #1 receiver, and 4 #4's, the Bears are not overloaded.

My point is that almost everyone(including myself) think they are going to acquire a Wide Reciever with the first pick.

That would give them 6 wide recievers and none of them are going to get cut or anything.

I dont think there are any teams come the beginning of the regular season with 6 wide recievers which is why its interesting.

QUOTE(chisox05 @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 03:12 AM)
My point is that almost everyone(including myself) think they are going to acquire a Wide Reciever with the first pick.

That would give them 6 wide recievers and none of them are going to get cut or anything.

I dont think there are any teams come the beginning of the regular season with 6 wide recievers which is why its interesting.

They aren't taking a WR with the first pick. Maybe if they trade down, but not at four.

Benson seems to be the consensus around here. And, I'd put the knowledge of guys like Addison and Badger as well as various others up against a lot of the 'experts'. You won't hear me complainin' if they take Benson, but I'd rather it be Johnson at four...

idonno i think the bears are really a wildcard with their pick. In my opinion you dont take a RB after investing in Thomas Jones so much last year. That really leaves us taking a WR, which we still need.(we got a #1 and than a bunch of #3's and #4's) or Derrick Johnson because im not really sold on Hunter Hillenmeyer on that 3rd LB spot... although he would be the perfect 4th guy going in whenevr one of the other 3 needs a breather.