El Duque's 'B' intrasquad game

Jabroni

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Change of pace: The changeup was the pitch of the day for Orlando 'El Duque' Hernandez, when he worked six innings Wednesday during a 'B' intrasquad game in Tucson.

Hernandez allowed four runs on six hits, including two home runs, striking out seven and walking three. But pitching coach Don Cooper didn't care much about the raw results as much as the progress made with the change.

"I think we made progress, but we're not totally happy with it right now," Cooper said. "That's the bad news. The good news is we have two more starts and three more sidelines [throwing sessions] to feel better and better about it.

"He's a perfectionist and he wants to make every pitch. He wants to locate every pitch, and I like that. So, we're not there yet because I can tell by what I saw as well as his reaction. But I feel very good about everything being there when we need it."

Hernandez threw 15 more pitches on the side after his six innings, and felt even better about his effort. Cooper said that Hernandez has not been happy with himself previously this spring for failing to throw the changeup more aggressively in a game.

"He talks to himself a lot," Cooper said. "'Come on El Duque. Just throw it. What are you scared of?' So, obviously it was something that was on his mind. He left today feeling much better about it."

Now you can see why El Duque is getting roughed up this spring. He is mainly practicing one pitch each start.

Edited by Jabroni

Just call this a hunch, but by reading between the lines on some of these reports out of AZ, and knowing a bit about the rules, I have a feeling they are setting up the possiblility or option of putting El Duque on the DL to keep BMac up. He's pitched in nothing but intersquad games for a while now. If admission is not charged to these games he's appearing in, then they do not count as an appearance. Therefore, they can backdate his DL stint to the last time he appeared in a "real" game. That gives them the flexibility of pulling him off the DL quickly if someone faulters or goes down with injury.

Just call this a hunch, but by reading between the lines on some of these reports out of AZ, and knowing a bit about the rules, I have a feeling they are setting up the possiblility or option of putting El Duque on the DL to keep BMac up.  He's pitched in nothing but intersquad games for a while now.  If admission is not charged to these games he's appearing in, then they do not count as an appearance.  Therefore, they can backdate his DL stint to the last time he appeared in a "real" game.  That gives them the flexibility of pulling him off the DL quickly if someone faulters or goes down with injury.

I know they could make up a fake injury but it doesn't seem likely to me. It's obvious that El Duque is healthy, otherwise he wouldn't even be pitching in 'B' games. It seems like the Sox are taking it slow with him because he's coming off an injury from last season and he probably wasn't even 100% when he was pitching for the Yankees in the playoffs. He probably rushed back and said he was fine because he wanted to pitch. It seems like he's just trying to get his "stuff" back and regaining his control. We shall see.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
So far I am scared about this guy.  I hope this pans out.

How come? It's Spring Training. Radke has an ERA close to 6. I doubt the Twins are scared about that guy. ST results mean absolutely nothing for veterans.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
Just call this a hunch, but by reading between the lines on some of these reports out of AZ, and knowing a bit about the rules, I have a feeling they are setting up the possiblility or option of putting El Duque on the DL to keep BMac up.  He's pitched in nothing but intersquad games for a while now.  If admission is not charged to these games he's appearing in, then they do not count as an appearance.  Therefore, they can backdate his DL stint to the last time he appeared in a "real" game.  That gives them the flexibility of pulling him off the DL quickly if someone faulters or goes down with injury.

There was a quote in a paper a few days ago where Ozzie said his starting pitchers were going to pitch in a lot of B games especially early on for two reasons. One, he wanted to get a look at the future pitchers to see what he had to bring up later and two avoid letting teams he will face in the season get a good look at the pitchers. If you've noticed, Contreas, Garland, Hernandez and Garcia have all pitched in more B games than you normally see in ST.

I think Ozzie is scarred by the 5th starter debacle from last year and wanted to see how the young starter do against major leaguers in ST.

Edited by ptatc

How come? It's Spring Training. Radke has an ERA close to 6. I doubt the Twins are scared about that guy. ST results mean absolutely nothing for veterans.

You say that as for ALL VETERANS.

Sure, spring training results mean absolutely nothing for most veterans. But there are guys in which it is very meaningful as far as the outlook on his future success during that season.

And quite frankly, El Duque's struggles scare me because he is 40(listed at 35 but hes 40) and has had injury problems and his stuff has diminished----

El Duque's spring situation is one of the TOP 5 Things I am looking at during this spring training.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
If he still is getting rocked at the end of April then I'll be worried about him.  ST is just exactly that.......training.

End of April? I'll be worried much sooner than that.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 03:52 AM)
AS am I..being a fly ball pitcher.. scares me.

That really shouldn't be the main reason to worry about him, Garcia's a flyball pitcher and most people aren't too worried about him.