Miller Park

RockRaines

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to the Saturday game, and staying all night in Meelee-walk-A. Not sure where I'm staying yet, or where I'm sitting, either...but I'll be there. You can find me by looking for the coolest peep in the entire stadium...so I shouldn't be hard to find. =D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
where is everyone staying in Milwaukee???

FYI for those going, some general information:

- Parking lots open 3 hours before game time (Fri. at 4:05 pm, Sat. at 10:05 am)

- Gates to Miller Park open two hours before game time

- White Sox batting practice is at 5:50 - 6:30 pm on Friday nite, and 11:50 am to

12:30 pm on Saturday.

- For those interested in history, the youth baseball field in the Miller Park parking

lots (Haelfaer Field) is laid out on the exact site of old County Stadium. There

are a few mementos of County Stadium on display, and the former home plate

site is marked with a placque.

- Parking is $6.

- In the parking lot, there is a large indoor/outdoor concession stand called the

Klement's Brat House. Get a beer, brat, hot dog, etc. Bathrooms are there too.

- Bars before and after the game: Very close to the ballpark, I highly recommend Kelly's Bleachers, 5218 W. Blue Mound Road, literally in the shadow of Miller Park, just north of the expressway. Sports bar, and decent food. Another personal favorite is 4th Base, 5117 W. National, just south and slightly west of Miller Park. Lots of baseball memorabilia at both places. Kelly's is always lively at night.

- Best bar/entertainment area: Water Street, downtown. To learn more, visit www.onmilwaukee.com . Some great options down there include McGillycuddy's, Swig, Terrace Bar, Brew City, Water Street Brewery, Mel's Corner Tap, The Harp, Rosie's, O'Danny's, and more. Park the car once and all the bars are walking distance from one another. Very lively and fun any night of the week.

Enjoy!

thanks for the info, Im still trying to decide if we are getting a hotel or not, looking at the Wyndam. Heard there were bars close by

The Wyndham is walking distance from all the Water Street bars, about 3 blocks away.

Edit: if finances are an issue and you don't need the lap of luxury, try the Hotel Wisconsin on 2nd St. It's an older hotel but it's clean and it does the job. It's maybe 6 blocks to all the bars but definitely walkable and easy to get to.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
The Wyndham is walking distance from all the Water Street bars, about 3 blocks away.

Edit:  if finances are an issue and you don't need the lap of luxury, try the Hotel Wisconsin on 2nd St.  It's an older hotel but it's clean and it does the job.  It's maybe 6 blocks to all the bars but definitely walkable and easy to get to.

thanks Jim, I will definatley take that into consideration. Im looking forward to my first visit to Miller Park, and the large amount of high-lifes that im going to consume as a result. Anyone planning on tailgating????

thanks Jim, I will definatley take that into consideration.  Im looking forward to my first visit to Miller Park, and the large amount of high-lifes that im going to consume as a result.  Anyone planning on tailgating????

Also, the Miller Brewery is just north of the expressway from the ballpark, you can easily see it from the parking lots. I'd say it's less than a 10 minute ride away.

Free tours ... three free beers in the hospitality room after the tour, they give you free postcards and pay the postage to mail them. Last tour for the day is either 3:00 or 3:30, can't remember which. It takes about an hour.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Also, the Miller Brewery is just north of the expressway from the ballpark, you can easily see it from the parking lots.  I'd say it's less than a 10 minute ride away.

Free tours ... three free beers in the hospitality room after the tour, they give you free postcards and pay the postage to mail them.  Last tour for the day is either 3:00 or 3:30, can't remember which.  It takes about an hour.

Don't forget Major Goolsby's next to the Bradley center. A great sports bar to catch everything. Good food and tap beers. Jim as I recall you indulge in the Wheat beers, you can't go wrong there.

Don't forget Major Goolsby's next to the Bradley center. A great sports bar to catch everything. Good food and tap beers. Jim as I recall you indulge in the Wheat beers, you can't go wrong there.

Ah yes, Major Goolsby's. Great place ... on 4th, a few blocks south of the Bradley Center, actually almost directly across from the old arena (Mecca). Good burgers in there and all sorts of sports memorabilia. Waitresses are generally very cute as well.

My wife and I ran into a few Milwaukee Admirals players, way back when the Admirals were a Blackhawk farm team (mid 80's). One of the guys was Darren Pang, back when he had hair. I remember him talking eye to eye with my 5'3" spouse. :bang

About 11:30, in walks Bob Pulford. He walks over to all of the players and says "drink up boys" and holds his thumb over his shoulder to tell them "out". I introduce myself to Pulford and tell him I'm a season ticket holder and can I get him a beer. He says, "Thanks ... no. I'm babysitting tonite." :lol:

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
Ah yes, Major Goolsby's.  Great place ... on 4th, a few blocks south of the Bradley Center, actually almost directly across from the old arena (Mecca).  Good burgers in there and all sorts of sports memorabilia.  Waitresses are generally very cute as well.

My wife and I ran into a few Milwaukee Admirals players, way back when the Admirals were a Blackhawk farm team (mid 80's).  One of the guys was Darren Pang, back when he had hair.  I remember him talking eye to eye with my 5'3" spouse. :bang

About 11:30, in walks Bob Pulford.  He walks over to all of the players and says "drink up boys" and holds his thumb over his shoulder to tell them "out".  I introduce myself to Pulford and tell him I'm a season ticket holder and can I get him a beer.  He says, "Thanks ... no.  I'm babysitting tonite."  :lol:

Probably ran into you there a few times. I went to Marquette in the mid 80's. Spent many nights there after basketball and hockey games at the Mecca.

Edited by ptatc

Jim, do you by chance know if tickets for Saturday's game are going to be hard to come by?

Me, my brother, and my dad plan on going to the Saturday game, and do you think we'll be able to buy tickets at the gate?

Keith there are plenty available, it will be no problem whatsoever. Worst case scenario you guys can buy the outfield seats, I think they are dirt cheap for these games, something like $5.

Make sure to take time to see the youth baseball field where County Stadium used to stand, they did a great job on it.

QUOTE(diehard chisox 1427 @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
I have a nice situation.  I go to school at Marquette and Miller Park is minutes away, probably 10 minutes.  So I plan on going back to campus afterwards and partying.

gonna hook us up with some college girls then?????

gonna hook us up with some college girls then?????

Go to a bar called The Gym on campus, I think 16th St. or thereabouts, that's where you'll find the fairer sex of that age bracket. Any Marquette student can direct you.

Edit: I believe the Gym is now called The Annex, and there's a great bar on Wells between 11th and 12th St. called Hegarty's for the college types.

Edited by JimH

I'm going up to the Friday game, but as I live only a little over an hour from there, I am coming home afterwards. If you DO stay there in Milwaukee, make sure you find your way to The Safe House for some food and drinks. PM me for the password to get in, but DO NOT tell somebody in your party, just so you can watch the staff make an idiot out of them on the closed circuit TV that runs through the bar! :P

I love Milwaukee, and usually spend a weekend or two up there. Great friggin' city.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)
I'm going up to the Friday game, but as I live only a little over an hour from there, I am coming home afterwards. If you DO stay there in Milwaukee, make sure you find your way to The Safe House for some food and drinks. PM me for the password to get in, but DO NOT tell somebody in your party, just so you can watch the staff make an idiot out of them on the closed circuit TV that runs through the bar!  :P

I love Milwaukee, and usually spend a weekend or two up there. Great friggin' city.

the Safe house!!! Another great place. I once saw Chrles Barkley get tossed out and into a fight with police because he didn't know the password.

Tell the women to look under the fig leaf!!!!

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
We are going to both games and staying somewhere Friday night. I guess my mom is finding the hotel. Thanks for all the info Jim, I will be sure to get there early and watch some BP.

You guys know where you are sitting yet? If so PM me, and we'll stop by and say hey if we have enough time.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
You guys know where you are sitting yet?  If so PM me, and we'll stop by and say hey if we have enough time.

Nah my Dad just wants to buy tickets the day of the game. If plans change I'll let you know. We'll prolly end up sitting in the outfield bleachers though, it's something that reminds the old man of his glory days in the Tiger Stadium $1 bleachers. :lol:

Edited by whitesoxin'