Credit for Saves

Tannerfan

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
You just dissed like half the site, including the chief administrator. :D

It is truly sad if that is the case. It is even more sad that these kids would be proud of the grammar mistakes and instead chose to flip me off instead of caring that they look like dumb asses when they write and speak. Good luck in school and in job interviews with an attitude like that.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
It is truly sad if that is the case. It is even more sad that these kids would be proud of the grammar mistakes and instead chose to flip me off instead of caring that they look like dumb asses when they write and speak. Good luck in school and in job interviews with an attitude like that.

The only sad thing is worrying about grammar when we are talking casually about sports... school and job interviews are totally different than having a discussion about sports over the internet.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
when did soxtalk become English class?  :chair

When did kids become so stupid that they don't even know the difference between their and there? Something is very wrong with our school system when kids are passing by without even knowing the basics. It is very scary indeed.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
The only sad thing is worrying about grammar when we are talking casually about sports... school and job interviews are totally different than having a discussion about sports over the internet.

I truly doubt that it is any different to you at all. I am sure you didn't know the difference while talking sports or while preparing for school or a job interview. It would all be the same to you regardless of the situation.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
Perhaps you've never heard of a hold before.

Holds are more meaningless than saves.

Personally, I hate the save rule because a 3-run lead is a reasonable lead to protect, and there is a misconception that if a "closer" has a lot of saves or has a good save conversion % he is a good pitcher.

Billy Koch and Jose Mesa are not good pitchers, yet they made huge bucks because of the dumbass save stat. :headshake

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
When did kids become so stupid that they don't even know the difference between their and there? Something is very wrong with our school system when kids are passing by without even knowing the basics. It is very scary indeed.

actually i was in advanced English in highschool so im pretty sure my use of english is fine in school...Go look at every message board.... and tell me their arent errors in 1 out of every 3 posts....Here is a thought, people arent worried about typing right on a sports message board.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)

this is a dam sox massage board.. not a profesional place of buisness... mistakes happen.. why dont you just let it go its not even a big deal.. god dam

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
this is a dam sox massage board.. not a profesional place of buisness... mistakes happen.. why dont you just let it go its not even a big deal.. god dam

:huh

:D

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
actually i was in advanced English in highschool so im pretty sure my use of english is fine in school...Go look at every message board.... and tell me their arent errors in 1 out of every 3 posts....Here is a thought, people arent worried about typing right on a sports message board.

WOW! You have proven my point. What a very scary thought indeed. Someone that does not know the difference between their and there is not only passing by, but in ADVANCED English in high school! What does that say for the rest of the kids? When the advanced students don't know the difference between their and there what the hell do the regular students know and learn?

Here is a thought:

I highly doubt that you typed their wrong twice on accident instead of there. First of all the words don't even sound the same when you are speaking them. An advanced English high school student would definately not make such a mistake.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)

It isn't a big deal. But why argue it? Say nothing or say, oops I made a mistake. Don't get all defensive and embarrassed and then try to make it look good. Don't make it ok to write and speak like a dumb ass. Learn from a mistake and move on.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)

The corrected version:

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
This is a damn Sox message board, not a professional place of business where mistakes happen.  Why don't you just let it go?  It's not even a big deal. God damn!

This isn't directly right at you TRU, but if people write like 5 year olds, I have to believe that I'm having a converstion with a 5 year old.

EDIT: You said "massage" board instead of "message." :lol: Any "happy endings" at this massage board?

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
Holds are more meaningless than saves.

Personally, I hate the save rule because a 3-run lead is a reasonable lead to protect, and there is a misconception that if a "closer" has a lot of saves or has a good save conversion % he is a good pitcher.

Billy Koch and Jose Mesa are not good pitchers, yet they made huge bucks because of the dumbass save stat.  :headshake

That's what I'm talkin' about. The only reason I started this topic was to point out that some pitchers get more credit than others, and I was trying to think of a way to rectify this point.

I think Shingo is great, but his last two saves should be shared with Hermanson and Marte.

Forget holds, nobody talks about those.

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
That's what I'm talkin' about. The only reason I started this topic was to point out that some pitchers get more credit than others, and I was trying to think of a way to rectify this point.

I think Shingo is great, but his last two saves should be shared with Hermanson and Marte.

Forget holds, nobody talks about those.

Agents talk about holds during contract negotiations. You can bet your bottom dollar on that. My preference is just to ignore the statistics you find meaningless and to move on from there. If the saves irk you or holds irk you then don't pay attention to them. Someone brought up a good point that 40 some saves made both Koch and Mesa a ton of money. However, others look at more meaningful statistics, such as K's to walk ratio, inherited baserunners allowed to score, WHIP, and ERA to judge a relief pitcher. Just ignore the statistics that bother you in anyway and look at the others to base your opinion off of. Everyone has their own opinion on how to look at statistics and that is why there are so many different types and different ways to build a team.

Edited by southsideirish