And That's a White Sox Winner!

Cloudyguy09

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
Its a good point, but I'm sure Ozzie's thinking is he doesn't want to use Widger unless AJ gets hurt, because if he goes down, then a non catcher will have to catch. I wish he used the same philosophy with the bullpen the first loss of the season. The Sox would be 7-1 right now.

Well, that's just a bad philosophy (as far as catching goes). Sorry, but the odds of that are very small, and Konerko at catcher would be bad, but not a disaster.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
Great chat tonight, too.  Lots of good laughs in there.

Nice win!  :headbang

Bring the brooms tomorrow -- Orlando Hernandez vs. Scott Elarton.  :cheers  :snr

Hopefully we can get a good turnout tomorrow for the sweep! :headbang

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
I hope you're kidding. :huh:

Why? He would catch the ball, have no chance whatsoever at throwing someone out at 2nd (I wouldn't even expect him to throw), but he might still get someone trying to steal 3rd. He came up as a catcher, it doesn't ALL go away.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
I hope you're kidding. :huh:

They'd run on him, but all he has to do is catch the ball. He's done it before, I'd bet he'd be able to do it if it was a last option.

I agree with jackie, though, it's a bad strategy to not pinch run for a guy because you fear that your backup might get injured. If that's gonna cripple you in a situation like we had tonight, then get Jamie Burke up here for Timo, and send Harris down when Frank gets back...

They'd run on him, but all he has to do is catch the ball.  He's done it before, I'd bet he'd be able to do it if it was a last option.

I agree with jackie, though, it's a bad strategy to not pinch run for a guy because you fear that your backup might get injured.  If that's gonna cripple you in a situation like we had tonight, then get Jamie Burke up here for Timo, and send Harris down when Frank gets back...

Besides the fact that Paulie's hips are bad, do you need any other reason for it being a very bad idea? Paulie hasn't played catcher since his early days with the Dodgers.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
Why?  He would catch the ball, have no chance whatsoever at throwing someone out at 2nd (I wouldn't even expect him to throw), but he might still get someone trying to steal 3rd.  He came up as a catcher, it doesn't ALL go away.

Although Konerko started out a catcher, I doubt he is the White Sox emergency catcher. Guys who don't know what they're doing can easily get hurt back there, and I doubt the White Sox would want to risk one of their best offensive players for this. I have never understood the philosophy about saving the back up catcher, but a lot of managers use it. I agree with the earlier post that the odds of Widger getting hurt enough to leave the game is very small.

I was just saying this to Soxnbears....

Now I see why the Twins are so successful. They win a lot of games they shouldn't have, or at least it appears that way. I feel we're doing the same thing now. If we can continue winning when the offense really starts clicking, and still be able to pull out these kind of wins when it's not, it's going to be a fun season.

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 02:25 AM)
Besides the fact that Paulie's hips are bad, do you need any other reason for it being a very bad idea?  Paulie hasn't played catcher since his early days with the Dodgers.

It's an emergency situation -- real unlikely to happen. In a pinch, for an inning, I don't think it would be terrible, no. More than an inning? Now I'm worried -- we should just take one for the team and lose the game, at that point. Like I said, though, if Ozzie is that worried that he can't pinch run for a slow runner in a key situation because he's worried about only having one catcher left, Burke should be on the club with Timo/Harris down.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
I was just saying this to Soxnbears....

Now I see why the Twins are so successful.  They win a lot of games they shouldn't have, or at least it appears that way.  I feel we're doing the same thing now.  If we can continue winning when the offense really starts clicking, and still be able to pull out these kind of wins when it's not, it's going to be a fun season.

I thought he was talking about the royals? :huh:

:P

It's an emergency situation -- real unlikely to happen.  In a pinch, for an inning, I don't think it would be terrible, no.  More than an inning?  Now I'm worried -- we should just take one for the team and lose the game, at that point.  Like I said, though, if Ozzie is that worried that he can't pinch run for a slow runner in a key situation because he's worried about only having one catcher left, Burke should be on the club with Timo/Harris down.

I also doubt that Paulie is our emergency catcher.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 02:25 AM)
Although Konerko started out a catcher, I doubt he is the White Sox emergency catcher. Guys who don't know what they're doing can easily get hurt back there, and I doubt the White Sox would want to risk one of their best offensive players for this. I have never understood the philosophy about saving the back up catcher, but a lot of managers use it. I agree with the earlier post that the odds of Widger getting hurt enough to leave the game is very small.

I think he probably remembers enough to not get hurt, which is all I'd really expect. I thought he was the emergency catcher, but I could be wrong on that. If not PK, who?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 02:29 AM)
I also doubt that Paulie is our emergency catcher.

Ok, we're both making a big deal about something that really, really has a tiny chance of happening.

I just think Pierz should have been pinch run for with Willie.

Ozzie Guillen=terrible.

Why is Contreras brought out to pitch the 7th. I thought that is why we acquired Hermanson Vizcaino, kept Politte.

Jose salvaged what was a terrible beginning into a nice start and should have been done after 6. But instead idiot Ozzie brings him out in the 7th and he gives up the lead.

Ozzie is not a very good manager.

I'm very happy with the win, despite the manager constantly making bad decisions.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
I think he probably remembers enough to not get hurt, which is all I'd really expect.  I thought he was the emergency catcher, but I could be wrong on that.  If not PK, who?

I know Graffanino was in '03, but as far as last year and this, I have no idea who it would be. But, I'll say it could be Konerko over anyone else on the team right now.