Bad news for me....

EvilJester99

I just found out today that my plant is shutting down and moving to Pittsburgh. I have no interest in moving there so I guess I am going to be without a job...Man I hate having to search for jobs...Good thing I have some money put away and will also get a severance package for my troubles... :banghead

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
Must be George Bush's fault.

Good luck on the job search. Are they giving you a good severence?

Yeah I will end up about 2 months pay after its said and done...its not great but its decent. Nah I can't blame Dubya for this... but my own bosses are the morons... they wanted to save money so freaking bad that they sacrificed quality and pissed customers off and we lost a few accounts... not good.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
I just found out today that my plant is shutting down and moving to Pittsburgh. I have no interest in moving there so I guess I am going to be without a job...Man I hate having to search for jobs...Good thing I have some money put away and will also get a severance package for my troubles... :banghead

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. I'm sure that a similar (or better) opportunity will present itself soon.

Is it completely out of the question for you to move to Pittsburgh (i.e., family keeping you in Joliet), or do you simply not want to go there? If it's the latter, you might want to consider making the move. I don't know what the job market is like in your field, but it's not terribly good in mine and the economic indicators for this summer aren't exactly rosy. Not to be pessimistic, but that's sort of the reality right now.

Whatever you choose to do, though, I'm sure you'll be fine in the end.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)

If we could just stop that giant sucking sound of Pennsylvania stealing all our jobs....

Sorry that your job situation got crappy. You can have my old job when I'm done with it if you want. Although I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy...

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
If we could just stop that giant sucking sound of Pennsylvania stealing all our jobs....

Sorry that your job situation got crappy. You can have my old job when I'm done with it if you want. Although I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy...

What about Tex? :P

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.  I'm sure that a similar (or better) opportunity will present itself soon.

Is it completely out of the question for you to move to Pittsburgh (i.e., family keeping you in Joliet), or do you simply not want to go there?  If it's the latter, you might want to consider making the move.  I don't know what the job market is like in your field, but it's not terribly good in mine and the economic indicators for this summer aren't exactly rosy.  Not to be pessimistic, but that's sort of the reality right now.

Whatever you choose to do, though, I'm sure you'll be fine in the end.

Yeah its mostly family that is keeping me...I have a prospect on a couple jobs though. I am sure I will be fine but this stuff just sucks. Its more the uncertainty more than anything that makes one nervous. I have to many bills to pay, mortgage, cars and a family to support....no worries though, I will find something... if not I can always become a hitman or something hehe :bang

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
Yeah its mostly family that is keeping me...I have a prospect on a couple jobs though. I am sure I will be fine but this stuff just sucks. Its more the uncertainty more than anything that makes one nervous. I have to many bills to pay, mortgage, cars and a family to support....no worries though, I will find something... if not I can always become a hitman or something hehe :bang

Glad to hear that you have prospects. I'm sure that something will work out soon.

I was recently unemployed for a while (by choice... my boss was literally going senile) and I'll give you a piece of advice: When you're not looking for a job (nobody can do it 8 hours per day, 7 days a week), use this opportunity to spend time with family, friends, and get involved with your hobbies. It'll take your mind off things and you'll become closer to the people in your life. That was the one positive that came out of my unemployment.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
Glad to hear that you have prospects.  I'm sure that something will work out soon.

I was recently unemployed for a while (by choice... my boss was literally going senile) and I'll give you a piece of advice:  When you're not looking for a job (nobody can do it 8 hours per day, 7 days a week), use this opportunity to spend time with family, friends, and get involved with your hobbies.  It'll take your mind off things and you'll become closer to the people in your life.  That was the one positive that came out of my unemployment.

Thanks for the sound advice. I will be sure to take advantage of it.

Who moves a company to Pittsburgh?? :huh

You move away from Pittsburgh. My guess is a nice incentive package brought to you by the tax payers in Pennsylvania.

Good luck in the search. Besides networking like crazy, don't forget to post your resume on Monster, Hotjobs, Career Builder, etc. After wading through the crap, I did receive some good leads and offers. But be prepared for a lot of crap offers to work for free.