Ozzie vs. Frank, round one?

THis is from Monday's Tribune:

They may be ex-teammates, but Ozzie Guillen sent a reminder to Frank Thomas on Sunday that he's the boss.

Guillen, unprompted, delivered a very public message to Thomas - who returned to Chicago on Saturday to rehab from a fractured ankle - that this Sox team was built for unity and on attitude.

"It is good to have him here, because now he can see a winning attitude, because he was part of the bad attitude [of the past]" Guillen said. "Frank was a big part of the bad attitude."

"Now he can see the guys, how we handle stuff, why we're not whining every day, why we're hitting today after a day game. Everybody is happy and I want Frank to be part of it."

Guillen was asked to explain what "bad attitude" meant.

"You heard me" Guillen said. "Because he was here for 20 years and he was part of the bad attitude. Why? Because he was their leader."

But didn't Thomas change, become more humble and blend in more last year than he had in the past?

"He got better last year" Guillen said. "His attitude [before that] was horrible here. Everybody's was. When you're part of the team, that means you too. Because when something goes wrong, it's 25 guys, not just one or two. When stuffs not going good, guys start pointing fingers. That's everybody's fault. When we're not going good, it's my fault. Blame it on Ozzie. I'm not blaming my players. But, yeah, Frank was part of the bad attitude here. He was here for 20 years."

Guillen also said "[Others] were part of the bad atitude too. Konerko, Buehrle, Garland, Crede...who else was here? There's not too many guys left, and that's why because of the attitude. All those guys because when you see something wrong, say it. Talk, don't go hide it like a [child]. When you don't like something in the clubhouse, say something. If you want to get together and stay together, communication is the best thing in life... The attitude was horrible. Now that the attitude is good, we might finish in last place, but we'll finish in last place with a good team."

Guillen also wanted everyone to know who now fills out the lineup card after Thomas said Saturday that DH Carl Everett could play the outfield when Thomas returns. "Frank doesn't make the lineup. When Frank gets of the DL, I will make the lineup and who is going t play the outfield and who is going to DH. Frank has to be 100% to come back. [i told him] I don't want to be a bad man, but we're trying to do something here. I'm not going to rehab you when we're trying to win. We got it clear: When Frank is back,we're going to shuffle the lineup and figure out how we're going to play everyday and the pitching matchups and give guys days off. That's my job. That's the thing. I'm going to make the decision."

And what will the decision be?

"Let me sleep on it for a couple of weeks, because that's going to be a tough decision, no doubt about it" Guillen said.

This ran under a big bold headline "GUILLEN GETS FRANK" and halfway through the article I thought that the Tribune was blowing it up from Ozzie talking about everybode to Ozzie picking on Frank, but after reading it all, I think Ozzie just got pissed that Frank, probably answering a question directly, said, gee, Everett can play left while I DH. So my take is Ozzie is marking his territory.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
Four words for Ozzie, which I guess he still can't translate, SHUT THE f*** UP!

Seriously.

Ozzie, shut the f*** up and let it go. We are playing winning baseball right now, despite your best efforts to lead us astray with horrid managing moves.

:headshake Quit trying to get publicity with this type of s*** Guillen, seriously.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 05:53 AM)
Intresting.......We shall see how this plays out, im sure Frank will have something to say........

Doubtful. Big Frank is a team player who in the past has tried to negate/minimize controversy in the past. During the past year or so, both KW & Guillen have tried to make Frank the center of controversy by such hogwash tactics as attacking him for not willing to be a decoy during a series with the Angels. KW seems determined to run Frank off the reservation this year.

I guess its safe to say no matter what Frank will probably finish his career for some other team after this season....Ozzie needs to shut up and keep s*** like this in house. I think the more and more I see of and hear from Ozzie, the less and less I like of him leading this team.

Edited by EvilJester99

Ozzie can't keep his mouth shut again. This is a conversation that should be between Frank and Ozzie. If Frank has been a big part of a bad attitude for the years Ozzie mentioned, then Ozzie should also mention the he too has been a part of that bad attitude. If Frank's attitude is so bad, why hasn't Ozzie done anything about it yet? I believe what we are seeing are the same slam tactics the Cubs used with Sosa, and to a lesser extent , the Sox used with Magglio, to lessen the dissapointment when the Sox let Frank walk at the end of the season.

^^^^^ that

What planet has Ozzie been living on?

"Because he was their leader."

Every single fan of the Sox has known from the get-go that Frank Thomas was NOT a leader of the Sox.

"The attitude was horrible. Now that the attitude is good, we might finish in last place, but we'll finish in last place with a good team."

Uh, no. If you finish in last place, your team sucks. Period.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 07:18 AM)

You took the words right out of my mouth Mike.. Apparently Ozzie wasn't listening when I tore Kenny a new a-hole about this s***. It makes me so sad that Ozzie is so selfish that he needs to make headlines about himself.. my opinion.. HE is the problem and the team doesn't need this distraction and HE should be relieved of his duties.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 07:24 AM)
I guess its safe to say no matter what Frank will probably finish his career for some other team after this season....Ozzie needs to shut up and keep s*** like this in house.

No.. it's not safe to say that at all. It's safer to say that Ozzie and Kenny will be gone rather than Frank.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
You took the words right out of my mouth Mike.. Apparently Ozzie wasn't listening when I tore Kenny a new a-hole about this s***. It makes me so sad that Ozzie is so selfish that he needs to make headlines about himself.. my opinion.. HE is the problem and the team doesn't need this distraction and HE should be relieved of his duties.

:headbang :cheers :notworthy

QUOTE(Kogs35 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
any1 think the media is behind this? the sox doing well media hating the sox? yes we know ozzie has a big mouth and a big ego. just a thought

I've tried to give Oz the benefit of the doubt before, but this time he flat out blew it. JR and/or KW need to sit him down and tell him to shut the f*** up. They hired him, and said they loved his attitude and how he 'shoots from the hip', etc. Now they have to fix him.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
I don't have a problem with what he said.

An unsolicited attack of a player who's not even in the area to defend himself...?

So you'd be ok with being called names without the means to defend yourself..?

It's almost like Ozzie can't deal with no drama around him. Winning isn't enough for him.. he's got to rock the boat.

Now tonight all the guys are going to be asked about is this bulls***. Not "Hey.. you're in a tie with Minnesota for the division lead" which is what should be the topic..

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)

Agreed, these boobs in the media should be asking Ozzie why he's still bothered by Frank Thomas being the undisputed icon of the White Sox....Ozzie, Frank was and still is a better player than you EVER were, GET USED TO IT! When Frank's ready to go, there is no hard decision to make here, either Carl or Jermaine sits....I firmly believe when Frank comes back, this team will take off....I don't understand why the manager can't see that :banghead

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Because it's not directed at you.  If you were Frank, how do you think you would you feel?

Well, that is true.

Frank has heard the same crap before from Manuel and others. He's risen to the occasion and proved people wrong before. Time to do it one more time.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
Agreed, these boobs in the media should be asking Ozzie why he's still bothered by Frank Thomas being the undisputed icon of the White Sox....

That may be the root of the problem right there.