Marte

SnB

I tell ya, it sucks living in NY and not getting the games on WG-Cubbie-N like I used to. I have to follow the games on Yahoo! so I don't get to "see" the cool action, only the results. I also have Marte as one of my setup men on my fantasy roster and I was finally pleased that Guillen decided to use him twice in pressure situations this past week.

I don't know what he did, all I know is he pitched two fairly solid, scoreless innings. Even though he walked a batter and gave up two hits, he came through in the clutch. I have the utmost respect for his abilities, especially considering how under-used he's been this year.

'Grats Damaso! Go Sox!

I dont get it......honestly. Some were ripping Marte in the gane thread saying that he shouldnt have pitched the 10th and some said he shouldnt have pitchefd the 9th. Why are we prasing him? He almost lost us the game then saved it for us. We're flip-flopping like John Kerry. Marte has been inconsistent lastely but a W is a W....Ill take it.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
I dont get it......honestly. Some were ripping Marte in the gane thread saying that he shouldnt have pitched the 10th and some said he shouldnt have pitchefd the 9th. Why are we prasing him? He almost lost us the game then saved it for us. We're flip-flopping like John Kerry. Marte has been inconsistent lastely but a W is a W....Ill take it.

Show us where the people that have posted in this thread have said something negative about Marte in the game thread.

You have to flip to flop. :D

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)

first off, i started this thread, and i didn't say a thing about that in the game thread.

Second off, those guts that marte displayed tonight deserves him some major props.

QUOTE(shagar69 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
props on that avatar, i just saw that,  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :gosoxretro:

Great spirit shown by Marte today. Our whitesox are showing more emotions than ever and I love t :gosox1: . That lady on that avatar seems happy for the sox too! :lol:

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
Show us where the people that have posted in this thread have said something negative about Marte in the game thread.

You have to flip to flop. :D

No no no....I'm not singling anyone out. I'm saying in general. Marte wasn't too great today but he got it done.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
No no no....I'm not singling anyone out. I'm saying in general. Marte wasn't too great today but he got it done.

I don't think Marte Partay gets quite a fair shake these days. I'd certainly like to see him get more involved cause I don't think he's getting enough work.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 02:55 AM)

Phh... :rolly

Marte's a one inning pitcher. He gutted that second inning out.

Major -- major props to our best reliever three years runnin. And I don't expect that to change this year, either.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
Phh...  :rolly

Marte's a one inning pitcher.  He gutted that second inning out.

Major -- major props to our best reliever three years runnin.  And I don't expect that to change this year, either.

You honestly think he is a one inning pitcher? Or you making fun of ozzie?

I do agree he is our best reliever... one reason why he is one of my two favorite players on the sox.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 04:48 AM)

I do agree he is our best reliever... one reason why he is one of my two favorite players on the sox.

I think he's best suited being used for one inning, yes. Not to say he can't go that second inning, I'd just prefer him to go one inning. And that's also not to say I want him being used as a LOOGY. He ought to be used in setup situations, or, if the situation calls for it, to close.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)

Is Gload the other? Or Widge?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
Phh...  :rolly

Marte's a one inning pitcher.  He gutted that second inning out.

Major -- major props to our best reliever three years runnin.  And I don't expect that to change this year, either.

It's quite funny really. Everyone thought last year was a "down year" for Marte. And maybe it was, but wouldn't you take a 6-5 3.42 ERA from most relievers if you could? And look at those splits. Only hitting .185 off him and only 1 HR in 27 AB's. That's huge. :headbang

QUOTE(BuehrleTheAce @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
I tell ya, it sucks living in NY and not getting the games on WG-Cubbie-N like I used to. I have to follow the games on Yahoo! so I don't get to "see" the cool action, only the results. I also have Marte as one of my setup men on my fantasy roster and I was finally pleased that Guillen decided to use him twice in pressure situations this past week.

I don't know what he did, all I know is he pitched two fairly solid, scoreless innings. Even though he walked a batter and gave up two hits, he came through in the clutch. I have the utmost respect for his abilities, especially considering how under-used he's been this year.

'Grats Damaso! Go Sox!

Try the chat during the game. You get a much better description of the live action as someone is always watching.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
I think he's best suited being used for one inning, yes.  Not to say he can't go that second inning, I'd just prefer him to go one inning.  And that's also not to say I want him being used as a LOOGY.  He ought to be used in setup situations, or, if the situation calls for it, to close.

that's what i totally agree with. Our best reliever should be used in a setup/closer role. Period. Give marte the 8th inning for every game we're up. Give hermanson the 9th, vicano the 7th.

C'mon ozzie.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
that's what i totally agree with.  Our best reliever should be used in a setup/closer role.  Period.  Give marte the 8th inning for every game we're up.  Give hermanson the 9th, vicano the 7th. 

C'mon ozzie.

I must say, I've been happy with how Ozzie has used the bullpen (for the most part -- a gripe here and there, but not many). I'm glad that he's gone with a 'situational closer', rather than a set closer. He's playing the matchups -- if that means Shingo, it'll be Shingo. If three lefties are up, it will probably mean Viz/Marte. If it's a mix, it'll probably be Hermy. He's done a solid job so far, IMHO...