Frank not ready until all-star break

RockRaines

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
why do you think that?

Because I know he's been doing more than is being reported and I know that he's not feeling as bad as it's being reported either. I just think they are giving the public the worst case scenerio so it's great if he comes back sooner.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
Because I know he's been doing more than is being reported and I know that he's not feeling as bad as it's being reported either. I just think they are giving the public the worst case scenerio so it's great if he comes back sooner.

How about the quotes from him in that article? "This is excrutiating........"

The guys at ESPN don't know s*** about the Sox. They prove that every year & every time they open their mouths to comment on them.

Konerko leads the team in R. Frank won't clog the bases any more than Koney does. Their jobs are to "clear" the bases. That's worth the cost of their "clogging" the bases. If Reynolds did his hmwk he'd realize that Frank has a higher % of db's per ab's then any player on the Sox. On this team with Pods & Iggy getting on base that's going to equal more runs.

If I were Ozzie I would set it up as follows:

1-Pods

2-Iggy

3-Everett\Thomas

4-Thomas\Koney

5-Koney\Dye

6-Rowand

7-AJ

8-Crede

9-Uribe

When Everett sits Thomas hits 3rd. When Everett plays Thomas hits 4th.

When Thomas sits Everett hits 3rd & Koney hits 4th. Dye never hits better than 5th. Everett-Thomas-Koney is a much stronger middle than Everett-Koney-Dye.

Frank needs to be able to run good enough to hit doubles. Now that he's expect to miss NL play that's his bar for recovery.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
If Frank never steps in the batter's box again, he's the best player we ever had and will be enshrined in Cooperstown.

Let's hope he gradually gets better and in August we add him to the team, instead of Robbie Alomar.

Robbie Alomar :lolhitting

If this is as bad as some may think it is, do we go out and grab another bat at the ASB/trade deadline? I know this is raising a whole new discussion here, but like most on this site I'm deeply concerned about the OBP of the team/the overall production of the offense. All of these one run games, there is absolutely no room for error and balls could easily start bouncing the other way.

Solution: Well there's the crazy one, and I think the somewhat feasible one. Both however revolve around grabbing a 1st baseman, seeing as worst-case scenario Frank does not come back and Paulie is a FA at the end of this year (and without a hometown discount, probably not worth the money he could get on the open market)

Crazy Solution: Todd Helton. I know how much everyone loves their prospects around here but to grab Helton we'd have to toss a mean offer at Colorado. However, he's worth it in my opinion, being a career .338/.431/.613 hitter. Somewhat of a ridiculous contract (12.6 mil this year), but he's a monster left handed bat, hits for power and average AND is an OBP MACHINE.

Feasible Solution: Get Ryan Howard from the Phillies. Definitely would not take as much as Helton and he gets paid peanuts so if he doesn't apn out we're not stuck with an albatross contract. Only problem with Howard is he's an unproven quantity, he's got the minor league stats but as we've seen before that doesn't always mean success (coughJoeCredecough). However, he's not going anywhere with Philly with Thome at first and if he works out then it's syonara Konerko, hello $7million of payroll space. This solution is more of a long-term solution, I don't think Howard would have that much of a visible impact on this year's offense, but the years after he could be an integral part of the team.

All I am saying here is that with these reports about Frank looking bleak and Konerko being an FA next year we need to look at shoring up a position that has brought us so much production for so long. Maybe I'm jumping the shark here a bit, and I sure am glad we're 15-4 (believe me), but I think this is very important to the future of the ballclub.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
I don't think it's all bad.  Frank ran hard on Friday.  That's what Herm wanted to see.  They can treat the pain but they need to know what the threshold is.  That can only come from Frank's willingness to run hard.

He's showing that willingness.  Pain & growth go hand in hand.  So as much as it hurts the tendon is getting stronger.  The Sox can use Frank at DH exclusively after Jun 12th.  No more NL games after that.  That lowers the bar for Frank's recovery.

This is not really true. Tendons do not benefit from pain. Tendons will break down and tear with constant inflammation. That is why they gave him the cortisone shot. It appearantly didn't help much.

As I've been saying all along. From the reports there are alot of things going on that are inconsitent with just the fracture.

Some people were asking if the injury was career threatening. Yes, the injury was considered career threatening from the beginning. After the syrgery the reports were optimistic but the seems to be an awful lot of complications.

Curiouser and curiouser????

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

Works for me. It's nice to know that of all the speculators, out best insider is the most positive. Gotta agree with YASNY: before all is said and done, we WILL need him. :headbang :pray

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
Works for me.  It's nice to know that of all the speculators, out best insider is the most positive.  Gotta agree with YASNY: before all is said and done, we WILL need him. :headbang  :pray

I agree we will need him. However, this rehab is going far slower with more complications than it should. I agree with the post that said Thomas will be the best July deadline acqusition we make.

The best way to look at it is, it could have been a career ending injury and at least we will get him back for some of the year.

Some Thomas>>>>>>No Thomas

QUOTE(UC76 @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
Nothing against Frank, but this news actually makes me a little happy. As good as Frank is I'd rather not risk the good vibes. Frank always says he has changed but I don't think he ever does.

Frank not coming back soon shouldn't make you a little happy....Granted, the Sox are on a roll BUT our 3-4-5 hitters can't keep going 2 - 45 in a series over the long haul nor in a playoff series when every hit counts....When Frank DOES come back, he's gonna make the middle of the order potent and it'll carry the Sox to later series wins and hopefully, a postseason run :gosox1:

Edited by Allsox

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Apr 25, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
Works for me.  It's nice to know that of all the speculators, out best insider is the most positive.  Gotta agree with YASNY: before all is said and done, we WILL need him. :headbang  :pray

Not wanting to be negative because I wish Frank all the best in his recovery, however, I tend to believe our resident medical expert (ptatc) a little bit more than our resident sox "insider." Anyone who saw the atrophy in Frank's calf in spring training had to know there was a huge amount of work still to be done.

Unless you're an "insider" in Frank's head I'll trust medicine over gossip.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Not wanting to be negative because I wish Frank all the best in his recovery, however, I tend to believe our resident medical expert (ptatc) a little bit more than our resident sox "insider." Anyone who saw  the atrophy in Frank's calf in spring training had to know there was a huge amount of work still to be done.

Unless you're an "insider" in Frank's head I'll trust medicine over gossip.

From Frank's mouth works for me...

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
From Frank's mouth works for me...

I'm not trying to start an arguement. I hope Frank is closer than what they're saying. it's just that the rehab is taking much longer than it should. with his history of injuries to that foot, it worries me. Herm is normally very adept at keeping the status of unjured players out of the media but he usually doesn't feed them disinformation either.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
I believe Frank's atrophy was to be expected.  I don't believe that would be a problem if he could work his leg without pain.  He may have found a way to do so anyway.  Perhaps an insider can answer that question.

I'm not an insider, however, I have been in the medical field for awhile. After 7 months on crutches the atrophy is definitely expected. It's not his calf that is causing the problem, it's the tendons on the medial arch of his foot near the heel. He has had problems in this area in the past. The tendon controls the raising and lowering of the arch. This is under a tremendous amount of force while running. This tendon also happens to insert on the bone he fractured. As long as the fracture has healed, which if he is running it has, they need to find a way to calm down the inflammation and get back to running. Any runner who has had this tendonitis knows how tough it is, let alone a man the size of Frank. It is usually treated with meds and orthotic in the shoes. The meds didn't work so they gave him a cortisone injection. I also read where they modified his shoes. This also does not seemed to have worked.The next step is probaly rest. I'm sure they are doing other modalities in the training room but these will not help the running.

I hope Steff is right and that he is doing better than what they are saying because if not he will need more rest to decrease the inflammation. He will need to do this before he can rebuild the strength to run and begin his rehab assignment.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
I'm not an insider, however, I have been in the medical field for awhile. After 7 months on crutches the atrophy is definitely expected. It's not his calf that is causing the problem, it's the tendons on the medial arch of his  foot near the heel. He has had problems in this area in the past. The tendon  controls the raising and lowering of the arch. This is under a tremendous amount of force while running. This tendon also happens to insert on the bone he fractured. As long as the fracture has healed, which if he is running it has, they need to find a way to calm down the inflammation and get back to running. Any runner who has had this tendonitis knows how tough it is, let alone a man the size of Frank. It is usually treated with meds and orthotic in the shoes. The meds didn't work so they gave him a cortisone injection. I also read where they modified his shoes. This also does not seemed to have worked.The next step is probaly rest. I'm sure they are doing other modalities in the training room but these will not help the running.

I hope Steff is right and that he is doing better than what they are saying because if not he will need more rest to decrease the inflammation. He will need to do this before he can rebuild the strength to run and begin his rehab assignment.

Hey! Thanks for that info.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Apr 26, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)

ptatc.. just a bit of info I want to share.. Frank was out of his cast and in a walking boot 6 weeks before the Sox released that info. Aaron and him were working out a good month before it was reported. He was walking on the treadmill at a 7% incline at 5 mph before ST even started. These are the things that I go by when I say that the Sox are being overly cautious in reporting anything. Frank is still hurting, as I'm sure anyone would be.. but I honestly think (from him and those close to him) that he's further along than they are reporting just in case there is a setback. They are definitely being cautious.. and the scar tissue was a setback as you stated it would be. You've been on the money in responding to what the Sox are reporting. Your info is great in relation to the medical side. It's nice to have someone here that can explain those details.