Hadn't seen this posted

Chisoxfn

I sure hope they don't sign him. I wouldn't mind the Sox drafting Drew, since they don't have a supplamental (sp?) or 2nd-round pick. I'm cheering for neither him or Weaver to sign; even though I highly doubt we'd draft Weaver. Drew would be awesome at #15, though.

I sure hope they don't sign him.  I wouldn't mind the Sox drafting Drew, since they don't have a supplamental (sp?) or 2nd-round pick.  I'm cheering for neither him or Weaver to sign; even though I highly doubt we'd draft Weaver.  Drew would be awesome at #15, though.

Stephen Drew is a Borass client. We aren't drafting him.

We don't have a supplamental pick.

We don't have a second-round pick.

We gotta grab a good one in the first round. If Drew falls there, I don't care if he's a Boras client -- draft him. He was arguably better than Matt Bush last year (or so I've heard), and it'd be nice to have a legit MIF prospect.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
We don't have a supplamental pick.

We don't have a second-round pick.

We gotta grab a good one in the first round.  If Drew falls there, I don't care if he's a Boras client -- draft him.  He was arguably better than Matt Bush last year (or so I've heard), and it'd be nice to have a legit MIF prospect.

I'm definitely with you here and I think mostly everyone would be for that, I just don't think it would happen if he fell to us, hopefully it happens though and I'll be proven wrong.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
I'm definitely with you here and I think mostly everyone would be for that, I just don't think it would happen if he fell to us, hopefully it happens though and I'll be proven wrong.

I don't want any part of Stephen Drew at this point. Let the Yankees take him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)
Why is that Dan??  Cause of the money issues or just something you don't like about him?

He's not worth the price tag along with the risk that he won't sign until late anyway. Besides, I doubt JR will ever spend a load of money on a draft pick after Borchard, and I can't blame him. You don't need to spend loads of dollars to be successful in the draft. The Sox look like they drafted rather well with their pitchers last year, but it is still quite early.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
He's not worth the price tag along with the risk that he won't sign until late anyway. Besides, I doubt JR will ever spend a load of money on a draft pick after Borchard, and I can't blame him. You don't need to spend loads of dollars to be successful in the draft. The Sox look like they drafted rather well with their pitchers last year, but it is still quite early.

Fair enough.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
Fair enough.

I should add that he will become a bargain for someone as he will probably slip well below the 1st round and some large market team will get great value with his pick. He's not worth a 1st round risk IMO.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
I should add that he will become a bargain for someone as he will probably slip well below the 1st round and some large market team will get great value with his pick. He's not worth a 1st round risk IMO.

I don't get that. San Diego would have taken him first easy if Boras wasn't his agent... Maybe not first round value, but definitely (IMHO) a first round talent.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
I don't get that.  San Diego would have taken him first easy if Boras wasn't his agent...  Maybe not first round value, but definitely (IMHO) a first round talent.

Yeah, that's what I meant. He will fall a few rounds because of his agent. Let's just realize how ridiculous of a statement that is. Personally, that's what you fire agents for, not hire them. Either way, he will still get paid first round money so the only way to make up for that will be to take him in a lower round so at least whoever takes him didn't waste a first round pick if they can't sign him.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 01:19 AM)
Yeah, that's what I meant. He will fall a few rounds because of his agent. Let's just realize how ridiculous of a statement that is. Personally, that's what you fire agents for, not hire them. Either way, he will still get paid first round money so the only way to make up for that will be to take him in a lower round so at least whoever takes him didn't waste a first round pick if they can't sign him.

But, what I'm saying, is -- since we won't have to spread out big money to would-be second round or supplemental picks, why not just pay Drew?

But, what I'm saying, is -- since we won't have to spread out big money to would-be second round or supplemental picks, why not just pay Drew?

Why is this even being discussed? Does anyone honestly think that Uncle Jerry is going to draft and attempt to sign another Borass client that wants way too much money? Ain't gonna happen, folks.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)

Money isn't the issue. Signability is. A team is going to be more willing to pick him in the 5th or 6th round and lose him than pick him in the 1st and lose him. This is from the 'Early Draft Preview' from BA on 1/31.

The Boras Factor

The hardest throwers in the draft are Baylor’s Mark McCormick and Georgia Tech’s Jason Neighborgall, who could go anywhere from the first round to the fifth, depending on how they perform this spring.

Along with Hochevar and Pelfrey, they are advised by agent Scott Boras, as is Greene. Scouting directors are wary that Boras’ number of elite prospects in the draft is back up after his influence waned, and they acknowledge his presence is a factor. His two most prominent clients in the 2004 draft, Long Beach State righthander Jered Weaver (Angels, 12th overall) and Florida State shortstop Stephen Drew (Diamondbacks, 15th) remained unsigned through late January.

Boras isn’t the only agent who has dictated where players get drafted, of course. He pioneered the maneuver, however, and others have followed. The result? “Just because you pick second,” Ladnier said, “it doesn’t mean you’re going to get the second-best player. This is the highest draft pick in the history of our organization, and in theory, we’re supposed to get an impact player, a potential all-star. But a lot of times, you’re at the mercy of the draft.”

In this draft class, though, the talent and depth may be significant enough that even players selected more because of signability than talent could turn out to be impact players.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:08 AM)
Why is this even being discussed?  Does anyone honestly think that Uncle Jerry is going to draft and attempt to sign another Borass client that wants way too much money?  Ain't gonna happen, folks.

Because, it's a good discussion.

Don't like it, no need to enter the thread.

The Sox don't have to pay a second round pick or a supplamental pick, unlike the past two years, where they've had to spread the money out between the first round picks (Anderson and Fields) and the supplemental picks (Sweeney/Gonzalez/Whistler or Lumsden -- one of the two was a supp, IIRC). The kid's a top ten talent -- IMHO. We can really use some guys up the middle. Why not?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)

The Sox don't have to pay a second round pick or a supplamental pick, unlike the past two years, where they've had to spread the money out between the first round picks (Anderson and Fields) and the supplemental picks (Sweeney/Gonzalez/Whistler or Lumsden -- one of the two was a supp, IIRC).  The kid's a top ten talent -- IMHO.  We can really use some guys up the middle.  Why not?

I believe Gio and Tyler were supplemental's, I know for a fact gio is don't quote me on lumsden though. I completely agree with you here keith, to me down at 15 and get a talent like drew when we don't have a boatload of early picks like last year would be outstanding imo.

Dan, I certainly realize that it's a pretty big risk to give (somewhat) of an unknown commodity a fairly big contract.

But you can't -- IMHO -- just shun one agent and his player's to the side. I just don't think it's very smart to limit your options.

This is swaying from the topic a little bit, but I'm sure everyone's heard Jerry or Kenny say, that if the Sox are in contention come June, he'll open the wallet a little bit more and give Kenny some money to work with. I know Kenny is all about the 'now', but you know what would be a pretty nice idea? How about taking some of that money and invest in the draft? I'm not saying it would work, but how about having a little extra money so in the third round, you can sign those kids who are first round talents, yet have signability issues.

I really can't comment about the other kids in this year's draft -- I'm in no position to talk about anyone in the draft, but this year I'm hoping to get a little more of a grasp of it. But it'd be a real shame, IMO, if at #15, Weaver and Drew are still on the board, and we grab neither.

This is good discussion.

Keith ... I agree with your comments on the surface. If the Sox identify a talented player and they feel he's the best player, they should take him at 15. In an ideal world it shouldn't matter if the agent is Boras.

To follow your line of thinking further, the fact the Sox don't have a 2nd rounder would, on the surface, indicate there is more $$ available to sign other guys. The way I understand it from reading comments from Shaefer, they assign a budget to each draft and that's that. I presume other teams do the same. Just a guess on my part, but the budget could be lower than normal stemming directly from not having that 2nd rounder.

Boras as you know is highly known for getting his guys signed late, last minute type stuff. As in, right before the next draft. I really think the White Sox are very intent to take guys they can sign. The draft is a crapshoot anyway, although this year is purported to be deep. If that's the case, they can take a guy at 15 who may very well have the potential of Weaver or Drew.

This is where the realist in me comes out. Since drafting Borchard, the Sox have been conservative and are not the team to throw the draft salary/bonus structure out of whack. They historically do a good job signing their first 20 picks or so.

Systematically, Boras clients have been purged from the White Sox and no new ones have been added. Crede is the only one left. Reinsdorf called Boras a liar but said he'd deal with him, it's just he won't trust anything he says. Being pragmatic here, I can't see the Sox adding a Boras client via the draft.

The other thing with Drew is many scouts aren't sure he is a long term SS, they project him to 2B or even CF. I have long been banging the drum for the White Sox to take more SS in the draft, it is a key position and they have some depth but not a lot (Valido in particular).

Shaefer says they're targeting 4 college guys and 3 HS guys as potential 1st round picks. Personally I would bet on them taking a college player like Josh Fields. It's one year later, and he's already at AA and doing pretty well.

I would not be surprised to see them focus heavily on middle infielders. Good SS's are always a coveted asset and they have Iguchi signed for 2 years plus a team option. After three years and Iguchi at age 33 it's a good idea to have somebody waiting in the wings.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)

The Sox don't have to pay a second round pick or a supplamental pick, unlike the past two years, where they've had to spread the money out between the first round picks (Anderson and Fields) and the supplemental picks (Sweeney/Gonzalez/Whistler or Lumsden -- one of the two was a supp, IIRC).  The kid's a top ten talent -- IMHO.  We can really use some guys up the middle.  Why not?

I'm a fan of Drew, but his attitude is a definate question mark. I've long said I'd grab Weaver (I love pitchers) but as far as SS goes, I'd look at Long Beach State's shortstop. My buddies have said he's pretty damn good (I've never watched him that much) but he's supposed to be a lot like bobby Crosby and would be easier to sign. Then in the 3rd and 4th rounds I'd tend to draft those talents that have slid and give them more like 2nd round money.

I'd rather see the Sox draft guys they can sign quickly and get into camp than someone like Drew who still may not sign. If they could owrk out a deal beforehand or at least have a price range figured out, fine, but thats not going to happen with Boras.

Draft a guy you like in the 1st round..he'll get a mill to 2 mill bonus (probably right in the middle) and then in the 3rd and 4th or even another round later draft a guy that has slid and snag him and give him 2nd round money (700-900k). You'll get 3 highly rated guys as opposed to one.