Kevin Walker & Harris recalled; Lopez, Burke down

whitesoxin'

I don't understand the move at this point either, but Ozzie and Kenny must remember that he was pretty good in spring training. Charlotte is a small park and gives up the homer easily (except if you are Joe Borchard). But, then again maybe there is a trade in the wind?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the move at this point either, but Ozzie and Kenny must remember that he was pretty good in spring training. Charlotte is a small park and gives up the homer easily (except if you are Joe Borchard). But, then again maybe there is a trade in the wind?

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 02:44 AM)
After 31 games into the season, it's quite obvious that Ozzie likes to play the matchups and doesn't mind throwing in a reliever to face just one batter.  I think Walker will see some action for us.  This will save Marte from having to pitch to only one or two lefties, if Walker is any good that is.

That's all fine and dandy, but Walker isn't that good.

If Ozzie is using Walker in a situational spot, that probably means it's a close game. And that's the problem. Walker shouldn't be in if it's a close game.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 8, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
That's exactly what I think...

And I just looked at the Orioles' lineup.  Rafael Palmeiro, Brian Roberts, Larry Bigbie, Jay Gibbons, and B.J. Surhoff all bat lefty.

I knew u'd all figure it out eventually. No days off + lefties on Tb and Balt. roster + ozzie liked what he saw in ST= Walker might pitch to a lefty or two in a week before being sent back down.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

That's all fine and dandy, but Walker isn't that good.

If Ozzie is using Walker in a situational spot, that probably means it's a close game.  And that's the problem.  Walker shouldn't be in if it's a close game.

It's funny that you bash Kevin Walker yet defend Neal Cotts. Have you taken a look at their respective career peripherals in the majors?

Neal Cotts (career stats)

87.2 IP

5.75 ERA

.245 BAA

.356 OBP

.427 SLG

.782 OPS

7.91 K/9

1.43 K/BB

Kevin Walker (career stats)

95.0 IP

4.45 ERA

.213 BAA

.334 OBP

.343 SLG

.673 OPS

8.53 K/9

1.55 K/BB

Interesting, huh? In a very close number of innings pitched in the majors to date, Kevin Walker has better peripherals than Neal Cotts in almost every single stat. Yet you bash Walker and defend Cotts? :headshake

Edited by Jabroni

Yeah, Walker was actually decent for '01-'02. Since 2002, he's pitched a little over 16 innings, with ERA+'s of 68, 73, and 27. Ah, the joy of the sample size.

And 87 innings still isn't a whole lot of innings to judge a guy off of. I guess the difference is Cotts is still a few years younger than Walker, and struck guys out at an unbelievable rate in the minors. Walker, on the other hand, didn't do anything spectacular -- better walk rate than Neal, but nothing special, with a worse K rate. And he had a 4.10 ERA in his minor league career.

Cotts is better than Walker at this moment.

Yeah, Walker was actually decent for '01-'02.  Since 2002, he's pitched a little over 16 innings, with ERA+'s of 68, 73, and 27.  Ah, the joy of the sample size.

And 87 innings still isn't a whole lot of innings to judge a guy off of.  I guess the difference is Cotts is still a few years younger than Walker, and struck guys out at an unbelievable rate in the minors.  Walker, on the other hand, didn't do anything spectacular -- better walk rate than Neal, but nothing special, with a worse K rate.  And he had a 4.10 ERA in his minor league career.

Cotts is better than Walker at this moment.

But Walker has a better K rate and ERA than Cotts in the MAJORS. Isn't that whats counts/matters more?

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:34 AM)
But Walker has a better K rate and ERA than Cotts in the MAJORS.  Isn't that whats counts/matters more?

In about 85 IP, yes.

Like I said, you want to judge a guy off of that, go ahead. In the next one-two years, Cotts will easily pass up Walker's... So...

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:35 AM)
You can't refute my statement so you bring up an unrelated topic?  Lame.

I've refuted it several times. You refuse to acknowledge something being based off of 85 IP, a terribly small sample size. I can't do a damn thing about it if you don't acknowledge it.

In about 85 IP, yes. 

Like I said, you want to judge a guy off of that, go ahead.  In the next one-two years, Cotts will easily pass up Walker's...  So...

Yes, I'd rather judge a pitcher on his more relevant MLB stats. Otherwise, I could argue that Scott Ruffcorn is a better pitcher than both Neal Cotts AND Kevin Walker. :lol:

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:39 AM)
Yes, I'd rather judge a pitcher on his more relevant MLB stats.  Otherwise, I could argue that Scott Ruffcorn is a better pitcher than both Neal Cotts AND Kevin Walker. :lol:

You're real great at twisting words.

It's fine, though, it's become pretty obvious after 3000+ posts.

I hope you enjoy making yourself laugh.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 8, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
But Walker has a better K rate and ERA than Cotts in the MAJORS.  Isn't that whats counts/matters more?

I've got a question for you, will you ever like Neal, Willie, or Joe?? Or do you just hate these guys no matter what they do because it really seems this way. Everyone you hate has been pretty darn good so far this year and it seems like they won't get out of your dog house, ever.

I've refuted it several times.  You refuse to acknowledge something being based off of 85 IP, a terribly small sample size.  I can't do a damn thing about it if you don't acknowledge it.

By the way, 87.2 to 95.0 IP is about a season and a half for the average lefty reliever.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:44 AM)
By the way, 87.2 to 95.0 IP is almost two full seasons for the average reliever.

Cliff Politte, the Sox least used reliever last year, who was injured for the last month of the season, pitched 51+ innings.

If he's there for the year, I'd bet it's closer to 57 or so. (And, by year, I mean the last month -- didn't he have an appendectomy or whatever? Me -- :banghead )

And 87 IP is still not enough to judge a guy. Certainly not a 24 year old.

I mean, if we're gonna start judging guys off of such small sample sizes, Jon Garland or Aaron Rowand probably aren't with us. I doubt Juan Uribe, too. I mean, they all had to go through their bumps in the road when they were young. They didn't have instant success, either.

Oh, ok, you edit it and slip in lefty. :lol: Haven't seen that before.

Edited by CWSGuy406

Apparently you didn't, look at my post -- lefty isn't in the quote.

My point was that I made that edit before I ever saw your post. ;)

But here's the thing I love. You guys say that Cotts is better than Walker. I show you tangible stats that show Walker is better than Cotts but it's me who is wrong? Amazing.

You guys could be right that Cotts is better if Walker's past injury prevents him from reaching his past peripherals though.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
My point was that I made that edit before I ever saw your post.   ;)

But here's the thing I love.  You guys say that Cotts is better than Walker.  I show you tangible stats that show Walker is better than Cotts but it's me who is wrong?  Amazing.

So if Cotts is pitching better than Walker right now, that automatically makes Walker better? Sometimes you just can't go on PAST performances, especially when Walker's last good season was in 01/02.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)
My point was that I made that edit before I ever saw your post.   ;)

But here's the thing I love.  You guys say that Cotts is better than Walker.  I show you tangible stats that show Walker is better than Cotts but it's me who is wrong?  Amazing.

You guys could be right that Cotts is better than Walker if Walker prevents him from reaching his past peripherals though.

You showed me 87 IP, of Cotts. A 24 year old pitcher.

Congrats...

I guess me, Rowand, qwerty, DBAHO, Cheat, et al are all wrong and are just out to get ya. It's a conspiracy, damnit.

Edited by CWSGuy406

So if Cotts is pitching better than Walker right now, that automatically makes Walker better? Sometimes you just can't go on PAST performances, especially when Walker's last good season was in 01/02.

Instead we should judge by Cotts' 9.0 IP in the season over almost 100 innings of data? Good lord...

Edited by Jabroni