Maris = HOF?

Heads22

Should Roger Maris be in the Hall of Fame?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should Roger Maris be in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes
    • No

Many will say no because his career stats were less than spectacular but for what he did for the game of baseball in the time he played I believe he should be in the HOF. You can't always go by career stats to decide if someone belongs or not, sometimes you have to go beyond that and take a look at the lasting impression someone makes on the game and there is no doubt that Roger Maris did that. Oh Ya, 61* is a great movie.

I gotta agree with GHC. Even with what he did for baseball in 61, his stats are still woefully short of being considered. Maybe if he had over 1,000 rbi's, over 300 hr's, over 2,000 hits, and an average closer to .280 than at .260 he would get alot of votes. But he stands at 275 homers, 1,325 hits, 851 rbi's, and a career .260 average.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 16, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
If we're gonna put Roid Boy Bonds in the HOF then someone like Maris certainly deserves it IMHO.

Bonds was gonna be a HoFer anyways...he had put up 500-500 without doping.

However, he would not have been considered one of the best ever without doping, so that distinction is taken away from him.

It's all about longevity, unfortunately. Maris was phenomenal for half a decade. Honestly, Ron Santo had a better career, and he doesn't deserve to get in.

Someone like Ichiro will be an exception because he wrecked shop in Japan for so many years. Think in terms of all the great Negro League players like Josh Gibson, Cool Papa Bell, Oscar Charleston, Pop Lloyd, Satchell Paige, Martin Dihigo, etc. They never played in the majors, but they're all enshrined.

Maris is simply not plaque material. He had one fantastic season and two other pretty good ones, but was merely mediocre outside of that. He hit 39 homers in 60, 61 in 61, and 33 in 62. He hit 142 homes in his other 9 seasons combined. I have no problem with putting one of his bats from the 61 season in there or something like that, but no way he should be enshrined and have a plaque.

Wow I didn't relize that he's not a HOFer. He belongs in there he broke the most famouse baseball record, and still has it IMO. Unless someone proves to me that Sosa, McGwire, and Bonds we're free of roids, which in unlikely.

When I visit Cooperstown, and relive baseball history through the players, I want to see and read about Maris. For that reason, he should be in. I always look beyond career stats.

Santo should be in also. When Sox fans agree, you know he must be deserving.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 17, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
When I visit Cooperstown, and relive baseball history through the players, I want to see and read about Maris. For that reason, he should be in. I always look beyond career stats.

I was always taught that the Hall of Fame was based on career stats. In order to get in, you had to be great for a long time. If Albert Pujols retired right now, would you call him a hall of famer? I wouldn't.

Maris's season should be recognized there. But he should not have a plaque along with the others. 1 season does not make a career.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 17, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
I was always taught that the Hall of Fame was based on career stats.  In order to get in, you had to be great for a long time.  If Albert Pujols retired right now, would you call him a hall of famer?  I wouldn't.

Maris's season should be recognized there.  But he should not have a plaque along with the others.  1 season does not make a career.

If its based on career stats, then explain Ozzie Smith. For me it is the best of an era that belong in. Players who dominated an era deserve to be in. I also hate to see statistics of players from different eras compared as they are apples and oranges. People today look at our inflated HR numbers to justify keeping Santo out which is bull. By that logic you could look at pitchers numbers from the same era and say that none of today pitchers deserve to be in.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 17, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)

Santo is much more deserving than Maris.

Somebody else said it earlier. I haven't ever been to Cooperstown, so I don't know. But they should have a bat or a jersey or the ball from #61. However Maris should never be enshrined.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 18, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
Santo is much more deserving than Maris.

Somebody else said it earlier. I haven't ever been to Cooperstown, so I don't know. But they should have a bat or a jersey or the ball from #61. However Maris should never be enshrined.

They do have the #61 bat and ball on display in Cooperstown. I remember in 98 when McGwire asked the Hall Of Fame Committee for permission to hold Roger's bat or whatever.

I just don't want the MLB Hall Of Fame to be a joke like the NBA and NFL versions.