Starting pitching coming back to earth?

Yoda

Hernandez looks f***ed up, Garcia has blown leads and Contreras is so and so. The only ones left are Buehrle and Garland. And who knows if Garland can keep this up. It's a matter of time till Judy makes her appearance and it's going to happen sooner or later.

Can someone please give stats on the latest performances of our SP?

hopefully, it's just the deadarm phase many pitchers go through about this time of the year. Remeber all of the pitchers have consistently gone deep in games since the beginning of the year. It natural for pitchers to lose it around now. It's a little early but as stated they have been going deep in games alot.

QUOTE(ptatc @ May 16, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
hopefully, it's just the deadarm phase many pitchers go through about this time of the year. Remeber all of the pitchers have consistently gone deep in games since the beginning of the year. It natural for pitchers to lose it around now. It's a little early but as stated they have been going deep in games alot.

Then why is the other teams arms look so peppy :bang

QUOTE(That funky motion @ May 16, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
Then why is the other teams arms look so peppy :bang

They'll go through the same thing. Like I said everyone does at a certain point in the season. I hope this is the problem but it could just as easy be they are reverting to past poor habits.

QUOTE(ptatc @ May 16, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
They'll go through the same thing. Like I said everyone does at  a certain point in the season. I hope this is the problem but it could just as easy be they are reverting to past poor habits.

Pitchers dont go through dead arm phases in May. In July/August/September maybe they can go through a dead arm phase. If they are all having dead arm phases now, injuries are on the horizon.

If you prefer how about tired arm phase. Usually about 1/3 of the way through a season the pitcher go through some kind of a down phase where they kind of lose it. They also go through it later in the year as you mention. It's not an injury but tired.

some can work through it better then others

Edited by ptatc

It's a matter of time till Judy makes her appearance and it's going to happen sooner or later.

That's a cheap shot on Garland in my opinion. The guy has been a total stud. I can't believe with so many guys sucking in this mini losing streak, you'd take a rip on Jon.

Calling him Judy is bulls***.

QUOTE(Yoda @ May 16, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
Hernandez looks f***ed up, Garcia has blown leads and Contreras is so and so. The only ones left are Buehrle and Garland. And who knows if Garland can keep this up. It's a matter of time till Judy makes her appearance and it's going to happen sooner or later.

Can someone please give stats on the latest performances of our SP?

Well Garland has an ERA over 9.00 against the Blue Jays this year.

Does that count?

Well it wasn't going to stay that way forever, and it won't with Garland. Let's just hope he can continue to do the job to stop this little losing streak. On that, the Sox have shown that after their 3 games losing streaks, they can go back on a run, so let's hope they can do it again.

I think it's safe to say that the pitching domination honeymoon is over. I think the staff will still be good but not 1 or 2 runs per game good.

Also I'm not gonna be too quick to jump on the pitching because I think that they have been responsible for like 75% to 80% of our wins this year. It's the offense that needs to wake up.

QUOTE(marsh @ May 17, 2005 -> 07:15 AM)
I think it's safe to say that the pitching domination honeymoon is over. I think the staff will still be good but not 1 or 2 runs per game good.

Also I'm not gonna be too quick to jump on the pitching because I think that they have been responsible for like 75% to 80% of our wins this year. It's the offense that needs to wake up.

Well Said. :headbang

QUOTE(marsh @ May 17, 2005 -> 06:15 AM)

I'll grant you we're not going to have a team ERA of 1, but I still have a ton of confidence in this staff.

There seems to be no one on this board questioning Buehrle, and that's how it should be.

Freddie Garcia has his good and bad games, walks too many people, etc, but his numbers still seem like they're going to hover around where he has been for his whole career. His career ERA is 3.94, this year it's 4.03. He'll have games where he struggles, and he'll have games where he dominates. He'll usually end up winning you more games than he loses, even though he'll lose some. That's why he's not a number 1 starter.

El Duque had 1 bad game. His ERA with the Yankees the last 2 years has hovered around 3. Right now, it's at 2.91. The guy's a veteran. He'll be fine. Last year he was 8-2 on a Yankees team desperate for pitching, coming right off of arm surgery. Without him, that club probably missed the playoffs entirely last year. Every pitcher is entitled to their bad outings. The goal is to get guys who have more good outings than bad.

And honestly, I've seen more from Contreras the last few starts that has given me hope for him than It hought I would. Yeah, his start in Tampa was awful. But his start against Baltimore honestly wasn't that bad. He was making good pitches. Baltimore was just an awfully hot hitting club, and when guys are as hot as Brian Roberts, no matter what you do sometimes you can't stop them. On top of that, his start against the Royals was excellent, even if they are the Royals.

The pitching hasn't gone very far down at all from where they were earlier this season, even if 3 guys have had bad starts in the last 2 weeks. We were due for a few. The problem on this team is still the hitting.