Uribe's "foul call"

Milkman delivers

I think you're really reaching here, but I understand what you're saying.  It could be a joke, but it isn't.  Konerko is an idiot and shouldn't be the voice of this franchise.  Honestly, it should be AJP.  He is the personification of what this team and fans believe in.  Working hard, gutting it out, sticking up for your teammates, and having some fun.

Careful, he may call AJ out for throwing the ball to third on what he and everyone else believed was a 3rd strike on Prior.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ISF @ May 23, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
What the hell do we need Kotchman for? Have you seen Casey Rogowski?

I give our own guy a shot before I go get Kotchman. I had a whole year to watch him play at Cedar Rapids. Color me unimpressed.

I've seen Rogowski play several times, albeit in LF, which was a joke. If Rogowski stays true to his current progress, he'll be in the bigs when he's 30. It's hrad to think highly of someone after it took them 3 years to escape High-A.

I just resaw the play and it appears Uribe said nothing, and just merely raised his hands as if it was a foul ball.

That play is fine in my book.

For some reason I thought this thread was suggesting that not only did he raise his hands, but he was saying foul ball.

Sorry for the argument.

SB

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
When there is a runner on and a groundball goes through the infield, middle infielders will fake trying to turn a DP to get the runner to slide, stopping him from advancing a base.

THANK YOU. How is what Uribe did any different than this, which happens every week? Knowingly (or maybe unknowingly in this case) trying to decieve the runner in order to prevent movement along the basepaths.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.

He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Do whatever it takes to win. Its not against the rules, and Derek should know not to fall for this kind of stuff.

If, and it's a big if, the quote by Konerko is complete, accurate and printed in the proper context, then Paulie should have kept quiet.

As for Uribe. I'm sorry, but vehemently disagree with the people who feel Uribe is wrong. Throughout the history of baseball, there have been countless schemes devised to deceive the opposition. Uribe threw his arms up in the air, did he say "foul ball" or not? I don't know, but it really doesn't matter to me. I was an attempt to deceive whether he lied or not. To me, there is no difference.

The Twins pulled this on Lonnie Smith and won a World Series because of it. Who got crucified? It wasn't the Twin's infielder. It was Smith. Why? Because it was a bonehead f***ing play on Smith's part. If the ARod situation isn't comparable, this example most certainly is.

ARod knew he was going to be out and tried to knock the ball hoping the umps wouldn't call it. The umps got it right, as they should have. I don't think it was bad baseball.

Reggie Jackson stuck his hip in front of thrown ball, creating an error on a throw and he was safe as result. That is not bad baseball.

Dick Williams walked out to mound with Bench at the plate and 3-2 count on him. He pointed and 1st base and said "put him on" to Fingers. The catcher signalled for the IBB and Fingers threw a fastball right down the pipe and Bench never moved his bat. Did they deceive Bench? You bet your ass they did? Bad baseball? Not in my opinion. Gutsy baseball.

Didn't the Sox pull a fake DP on the Cubs last year? I don't think that's bad baseball.

Fielders are always doing little things to fake out a runner when the runner does not have the play in front of him. It's part of the game people. It's the baserunner's job to know what is going on. Pick up your coach like a professional. Have you ever seen a firstbaseman fake a cutoff on a throw to the plate? I have. And that's smart baseball. Is it an attempt to deceive? Hell yes it is.

Deceiving baserunners, or attempting to do so, has been occuring for over 100 years and will occur for the next 100, and beyond.

The two teams get together for three more games at U.S. Cellular Field, June 24-26, a time when the Cubs could retaliate for his action.

But the shortstop viewed being struck by a pitch in the same manner as he viewed his deke of Lee Sunday -- it's all part of the game.

"I don't know what they are thinking, and what I'm thinking is what I'm thinking," Uribe said. "But if I get hit, and anything happens in retaliation, that's just part of baseball."

From chisox.com

Count on it. At least his going to get on base at least once in the series. I suspect it will be YNOT question. :fight

All I have to say to Dusty and anyone else who is crying... booof***inghooooooo.....your guy was stupid enough to fall for something that he should know better than its his friggin fault....this type of s*** happens all the time.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 24, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
All I have to say to Dusty and anyone else who is crying... booof***ingwhooooooo.....your guy was stupid enough to fall for something that he should know better than its his friggin fault....this type of s*** happens all the time.

It doesn't happen all the time. They usually don't fall for it. :lolhitting

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 23, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
2 Outs--you don't stop running and you locate your third-base coach.  That was absolutely awful baseball by Derek Lee.  Since little league, you are taught to keep on running with 2 outs and watch your base coaches.  I have absolutely nothing wrong with Uribe doing that and I actually applaude him as he saved us one run.  If Lee wasn't faked out of his jock, he would have scored easy.

I know this was not the situation, but for example: If you are at first and an infielder fields a ground ball, are you going to round the base and keep going to third... no. He should've looked to the 3rd base coach which he didn't, but if he had reason to believe that an infielder had the ball, you don't keep running just because there were two outs when the ball was struck.

Based on Uribe's expression I really do believe he thought it would be ruled foul. If he had known it to be fair he would have been in a better state of readliness for a throw since there likely would be a play at 2B.

But I do find it interesting that in general Koney & Oz are at odds here. Oz seems to have a personality similar to Ty Cobb in that if it's not against the rules of baseball it's fair game. Koney has more of sportsmanship personality that says it may not be against the rules but it doesn't make it ethical.