Will Konerko re-sign?

Kyyle23

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 23, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
Yes, more versatile. He can play left and first while konerko can just play first. That seems like two to one to me. Also, he is not slower than konerko. He hits for a higher average along with a higher ops ( career wise). Millar's career ops is 121 while konerko's is only 111. Millar we also be significantly cheaper than konerko.

s***, I'd rather have Rogo come up than scrape the bottom of the barrel with millar, come on guys, that a little bit of a stretch.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 24, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
s***, I'd rather have Rogo come up than scrape the bottom of the barrel with millar, come on guys, that a little bit of a stretch.

I agree. Millar, Snow ... no thanks.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 24, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
Do you have any ideas on who that 1B might be?

With Kenny Williams, you never know. But there isn't a guy better at filling holes than Kenny is. With all of our starters owned by the team through the end of 2006, we have an extra pitcher with McCarthy making his name heard. Many, many teams will listen if we are talking about a pitcher for 1B.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
With Kenny Williams, you never know.  But there isn't a guy better at filling holes than Kenny is.  With all of our starters owned by the team through the end of 2006, we have an extra pitcher with McCarthy making his name heard.  Many, many teams will listen if we are talking about a pitcher for 1B.

If they're going to trade a starter (which I believe they will), I would say it's El Duque. Most people would say it's either him or Contreras, but the Count has been putting together a very solid season. If he keeps pitching like he is, we shouldn't be trading him.

But then who would give us a starting 1B for Hernandez?

I pretty much agree with the idea of not resigning Konerko. The suggested $12+ million salary in the original Phil Rogers article seems very excessive for such a one-dimensional player. After last Saturday's game, the Sox had amassed a 31-12 record with Konerko hitting below .220. That should speak to his importance for our pitching-oriented team.

And as was suggested earlier, I consider Ross Gload a very capable 1st baseman. His low salary would allow us to keep our pitching staff intact, and maybe even shop for some possible upgrades at other need positions (see Crede, Joe).

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ May 24, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
I pretty much agree with the idea of not resigning Konerko. The suggested $12+ million salary in the original Phil Rogers article seems very excessive for such a one-dimensional player. After last Saturday's game, the Sox had amassed a 31-12 record with Konerko hitting below .220. That should speak to his importance for our pitching-oriented team.

And as was suggested earlier, I consider Ross Gload a very capable 1st baseman. His low salary would allow us to keep our pitching staff intact, and maybe even shop for some possible upgrades at other need positions (see Crede, Joe).

Welcome to soxtalk :cheers

But I think it was a bad post to begin your posting with. Ross Gload will never be a starting 1b, he is a bench player and fill in guy, thats it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
With Kenny Williams, you never know.  But there isn't a guy better at filling holes than Kenny is.  With all of our starters owned by the team through the end of 2006, we have an extra pitcher with McCarthy making his name heard.  Many, many teams will listen if we are talking about a pitcher for 1B.

I mentioned this in my original post, but I would much rather they give the 1B job to Gload and dangle a pitcher for an upgrade at 3B.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ May 24, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
I mentioned this in my original post, but I would much rather they give the 1B job to Gload and dangle a pitcher for an upgrade at 3B.

3B isn't going to be a primary worry for Kenny. Unless something big happens, they want the field clear for Josh Fields in 2007.

QUOTE(poorme @ May 24, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
IF gload comes back and hits .300 again this year, i'd go with him. i'd cream my shorts to see a slick fielding left handed firstbaseman on the sox. generations of sox fans don't even know what a good defensive firstbaseman looks like.

Shoot, if Gload came back and did that, I'd say ship Palsy before the trade deadline.

Palsy is above average to good at 1B.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 24, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
But I think it was a bad post to begin your posting with. Ross Gload will never be a starting 1b, he is a bench player and fill in guy, thats it.

If a guy can hit .300 and play solid defense at the major league level as a first baseman, he is better than a bench player/fill in guy.

The key there, btw, is the hitting better than .300 part. Playoff teams just can't afford to have a 1b who doesn't produce any offense, even if he is solid on Defense.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 24, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
If a guy can hit .300 and play solid defense at the major league level as a first baseman, he is better than a bench player/fill in guy.

The key there, btw, is the hitting better than .300 part.  Playoff teams just can't afford to have a 1b who doesn't produce any offense, even if he is solid on Defense.

Yeah, we already have one in the other corner of the infield. I think Gload is capable of .280 if he gets enough pt.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)

The key there, btw, is the hitting better than .300 part.  Playoff teams just can't afford to have a 1b who doesn't produce any offense, even if he is solid on Defense.

The question is will he hit like that playing everyday for longer than a 3 week period? It is much easier to hit .300 when the manager is setting up good match ups for you to play against.

Guest JimH

If the White Sox don't re-sign Konerko, they will bring in a higher profile player than Ross Gload.

Nothing personal vs. Gload but KW can and will do better.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 24, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)

Millar > konerko? Yes. Rogoswki is never gonna be in the majors unless a miracle happens and he suddenly gets great. Just because konerko is a fan favorite and he can do no wrong doesn't mean there are players either as good as he is or better than he is for the money differential.

Guest JimH
Just because konerko is a fan favorite and he can do no wrong doesn't mean there are players either as good as he is or better than he is for the money differential.

And Ken Williams realizes exactly what you said. Sox mgmt. loves Konerko but if they think they can get similar production at a much lesser cost ... bye bye.

Which is exactly the way they should be thinking.

If the White Sox win the World Series, it's another story.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 24, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
Herb was a 3B.  I'm appalled that you didn't know that.

Herb was also a very good 1B man. 1.000 fielding Pct over 114 games.

He didn't have the power or average to hold the position, -remember he played with Jim Thome, Fred McGriff, Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, Rapheal Palmiero and Mark Teixeira - but he was just fine with the glove.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 24, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
I would think that they would let PK go and trade for Jim Thome. Phillies are almost out of it, he's better than PK, he's a name in the mlb and is a former Indian. It's a K-dub movie.

Do you really think that could happen? I mean, Thome's making a lot of money, right?

The Rockies/Phillies would have to eat an awful lot of money for us to get either Helton or Thome, and because of that we'd have to give up a lot of talent. Plus, it would be much more likely that the Phillies would deal Howard instead. I like the Overbay idea, but I wouldn't give up a ton for him. I still want to see him perform for a whole season. He was awesome in the first half last year and has started pretty well, but he was not good at all in the second half last year, and he doesn't seem to have as much power as a lot of guys. He looks like a pretty good option though, so as long as he doesn't cost us too much that would be nice.