A Sox trade brewing....

beck72

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 24, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
As the one who started this thread, it looks more like the case scouts were there for the Cubs. Yet if the Phillies and cubs are trading soon, its likely a blockbuster [something along the lines of Patterson and Hawkins and a AA guy or two for Abreu and etc]. Polanco likely wouldn't be part of the deal.

Yet the premise that the Sox could use Polanco [and that he'd be available] still holds.

If the Phillies trade Abreu, someone from that organization needs to be taken out back and shot. I could see them trading Pat Burrell. His value is high right now, and his name has come up on the block before.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 24, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
:lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting

I thought Polanco talk was done-for after the off-season.

Remember how many people were in love with this guy before the aquisition of Iguchi?

Gimme Polanco anyday over MVP and let's get his ass some starts giving the trio of Crede-Uribe-Iguchi some much needed days off.

The Phils are really looking for a way to get Utley some more at-bats and that may have lowered the asking price for Polanco in and of itself.

Bring him in Kenny!

If we were to get this guy somehow he can give Crede and Uribe some time off. Willie can still handle being the backup at 2B when Gooch needs a day off. Personally Id like to see Cruddy gone. I am so completely frustrated with him and his freefalling batting average and rally killing that its not even funny.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ May 24, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
You ask who I wanted to play DH of the Sox.. SO I told you

NEver said anything about the realztion of it..

They don't let great minds into that role for the SOx..Case and point KW..

Yeah then we would have Russ Ortiz throwing up beachballs in the cell........ :bang

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 24, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
Wow, Anthrax wanted both Orlando Cabrera AND Russ Ortiz?  That would have been our whole offseason with what those two guys got paid and our team would absolutely suck right now.

but but but, KW sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, Anthrax wanted both Orlando Cabrera AND Russ Ortiz?  That would have been our whole offseason with what those two guys got paid and our team would absolutely suck right now.

Yawn, keep trying.. Its not how you start its how yoy finish..ANd personally my hand picked team, would be around the same pace we are at now, maybe 2-3 win difference..

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 24, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
If it was this past weekend, Birmingham was playing West Tennessee, a Cub affiliate. Levine has said the Cubs were close to a trade. Bruce Wolf mentioned this morning the Cubs may be going after Wagner and Polanco. These Phillies scouts may have been scouting Cub prospects.

Unless the Cubs grossly overpay, which it seems that Hendry never does, I'll be sick to my stomach if they obtain Wagner and Polanco.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 24, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
LOL.  How in the f*** could you possibly know this? :rolly

Because he predicts the future, didnt you know that?

I will admit that I was wrong on several fronts when discussing players in the offseason. But he wont, even though ALOT of them were very very off. I applaud KW for his moves this offseason and I look forward to more.

Because he predicts the future, didnt you know that?

I will admit that I was wrong on several fronts when discussing players in the offseason.  But he wont, even though ALOT of them were very very off.  I applaud KW for his moves this offseason and I look forward to more.

I have made my mistakes.. Ortiz is one of them, But its still early for him main reason I wanted him was for his 200+ inning to save out bullpen. But 9/10 I am right about how my players pan out.. I know this, and you will soon see this. You appluad KW for alot of the moves I said for him to do, as well as moves that have back-fired on us. Inking Uribe to that 3 year deal after one decent season, Inking OH for way much money that most GM around the league are now laughing at.

LOL. How in the f*** could you possibly know this?

The same reason you think that by having OC and Ortiz we would be in last place.

A comparison:

Uribe

2005 salary- $2,150,000

career numbers- .264/.304/.434, .971 FPCT, 5.12 RF, .847 ZR (at SS only)

Cabrera

2005 salary- $6 mil

career numbers- .267/.315/.407, .977 FPCT, 4.87 RF, .854 ZR

Face it, Cabrera is not that good, and is certainly not worth the money he got on this contract. I see no reason we'd be better off with him at SS, and given the choice between the two, Uribe makes a lot more sense for our financial situation. Please god stop touting your talent evaluation skills, your desire to pay that much for Ortiz and Cabrera clearly shows that they are lacking.

Polanco would be a solid pickup that can let us give Uribe and Crede some breathers and another option when they go into prolonged slumps. If we can somehow sneak Howard into the deal, all the better. My guess is they'd want Anderson and Tracey, which might be a bit much for those two. Young, Tracey, and another decent prospect sounds better to me.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

From today's Tribune:

-------------

Guillen is baffled by the struggles of Uribe and Crede, who had a career-high 14-game hitting streak earlier this year.

"Everything is mental," Guillen said of their woes. "I think they have the tools to be good offensive hitters. They have everything they have shown in the past. I don't know why they don't keep at same level almost every day. Some days are good, some really bad. I wish they could stay more consistent."

---------------

Tell me Guillen and KW wouldn't like to have a guy who can give the sox some consistency at 3b and SS to rest these guys a bit. Neither would be traded. But someone like Polanco could be brought in to give the bottom of the order someone who could give the sox better at bats

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 25, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
Nah, I've already seen way too much of him down in Anaheim.  The guy is way worse than Eckstein.

It's funny, people actually thought the Cardinals overpaid for Eckstein. But he's been a bargain in terms of production compared to his replacement, Orlando f***in Cabrera. ;)

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ May 25, 2005 -> 08:37 AM)
I have made my mistakes.. Ortiz is one of them, But its still early for him main reason I wanted him was for his 200+ inning to save out bullpen.

But with those 200+ innings (if he even makes that many) comes;

1) A BB/K ratio that is 31/22.

2) A pitcher that has a 3.74 K/9 ratio.

3) A pitcher where hitters are hitting .305 against him.

4) A pitcher where lefties are absolutely KILLING him. Splits of .374/.442/.551.

5) A pitcher who gets worse after the All - Star Break. Pre and Post All - Star break ERA's prove this.

SIGN HIM UP ON THE DOTTED LINE!!! :nono

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ May 25, 2005 -> 06:23 AM)
Albert Pujols

I'll rephrase this then. Who would you have traded then to be our DH then (and we're not talkin about fantasy MVP Baseball rules here). :bringit

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 25, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
I ask this question. Would you deal Sean Tracey for Placido Polanco straight up? Or do you want the Phillies to pay the majority of his deal for the rest of the season?

I think the sox could sweeten the offer like add a bullpen arm [like a Diaz] or have them take Timo, in order to get Phil. to pay some of his salary/ offset the added increase in salary

Polanco was among the leaders for the Phils in win share last year. I would definitely do this. He is a major upgrade over Ozuna because he's a proven slugger over time.

Perez is expendable because Everett becomes the 4th OF when Thomas returns.

Future wise this is a practical deal. Fields is the heir-apparent for 3B.

At the end of the season you evaluate keeping Polanco vs starting Fields.

You can either offer him a multi-year deal, arbitration, or let him walk.

I had a feeling his situation would lead him to the WSox all year long.

I'll rephrase this then. Who would you have traded then to be our DH then (and we're not talkin about fantasy MVP Baseball rules here). :bringit

Are you talking last year or this year? Cause I think I have made the point that we should have never traded for Everett back. KW lets his personal feeling get in the way and clouds his judgement.. AKA we still have Bochard and got rid of Rauch who we could have used in this past offseason.. With that said here is my orginal off-season plan.

Trade Pauly to Baltimore for Roberts and Gibbons..The O's were looking for a big bat, and at the time (early Dec I think I mentioned this) The O's would have went for it, with still have harriston to play second for them. Roberts would play SS For us with Gibbons playing 1b, Uribe moving over to 3b.

Ink Iguchi, which we did.. Nice Job KW..

With that said think about the range minus Gibbons we would have in the INF. :headbang

Now onto to the OF

Trade Lee and Daiz to the Brewers for Pods and Davis..This gives us the lead-off hitter we need plus finishes out the rotation (Davis is making 1.7 mil less than we are paying Hernandez and coming off a very breakout year 12-12 with an ERA under 3.5)

Here is where it gets tricky, I wanted to play RF Jose Gullien, I felt that will Ozzie as his manager this kid could have shined playing for the SOX. Who would have been a part of this deal I am not to sure on, since we didn't have an OF like Rivera.. Maybe Bochard and a double a pitcher would have finished this deal.

The only thing left was working on the bullpen, which is the hardest part about building any team IMO. AS for the DH..It probally still be everett, unless we were able to trade him away, but honestly I never saw us being able to do that.