The bats need to wake up

drowninginflame

QUOTE(drowninginflame @ May 28, 2005 -> 08:03 AM)
I'll give Mcarthy a pass on tonight, cause he's a rookie and needs to develop still. but man, the offense of the Sox need to get moving.

I am ready to hop on this trade bandwagon.

The trouble is who do we trade, with whom do we trade and what do we hope to get in return? I am not so certain a trade is needed as much as our hitting coach needs to kick some of these "dead men walking types" in the pants. The ones I have seen that try and situationally hit are led by Tadahito and even Rowand. They go with the picth and go to the opposite field more han the others do. Everyone else tries to pull the ball out of the park. Everett stands there pumping that bat back and forth and swinging as hard as he can instead of just putting it in lay. Uribe swings wild and pulls off the pitch. Crede, Dye, Timo, etc, all suck. I believe they can and will do better, but when?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 28, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
Were at 31-16, not 16-31.

Just thought I would clear that up.

I think some people are forgetting that, though we're 33 and 16 just to clear that up :P . A shake would be the worst possible thing, that doesn't send a very good message that's for sure.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 28, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
Were at 31-16, not 16-31.

Just thought I would clear that up.

True. But the Twins are right on our tales. And the pitching can carry us only so far. We need some sort of offensive spark. Rather it coming from a trade or someone coming up from the minors is the big question. The fact of the matter is something needs to happen for the offense to get going.

Uribe = slump from hell

Crede= back to the old Crede after a nice start.

Everett= started strong, but has diminished big time.

Dye= got hot for about a week, but now he looks dead again.

Rowand= struggling a bit

Konerko= swinging the bat good. but needs to be more timely

Iguchi= has been carrying the team

Podsednik= no problems w/ him. he just needs to be on base more.

AJ= cooled down after a hot week.

I went to all four games in Anaheim, and came away convinced after Thursday's loss that this team is due for a lot more losses in the coming weeks, because the hitting is so anemic. It's not just the lack of hits, but as others heve pointed out it's all the horrible swings so many of our guys are taking.

Having said that; the worse thing a team can do is panic. Look at the Yankees. They have a horrible start, Steinbrenner goes crazy, but Torre remains calm. They made a couple of minor changes (Womack to left, Matsui to center, and put a rookie Cano at 2nd base.) But for the most part they held tight got through the bad start and are now tearing up the league. Are we as good as them? No. But this is our time to hold on and hope that things will turn around. Making panic moves will not improve things. We need to work Frank into the lineup as soon as possible, and hope for the best.

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ May 28, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
Having said that; the worse thing a team can do is panic. Look at the Yankees. They have a horrible start, Steinbrenner goes crazy, but Torre remains calm. They made a couple of minor changes (Womack to left, Matsui to center, and put a rookie Cano at 2nd base.) But for the most part they held tight got through the bad start and are now tearing up the league. Are we as good as them? No. But this is our time to hold on and hope that things will turn around. Making panic moves will not improve things. We need to work Frank into the lineup as soon as possible, and hope for the best.

Personally, I thought it was the changes the Yankees made that helped spark their run.

The Twins are catching up fast. My suggestion definitely would be a harsh move. But maybe Frank can bring a spark bcoz our offense need something to get them going. Overcoming adversity makes for a better team. The sox need to overcome this hitting woes for sure.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 28, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
Personally, I thought it was the changes the Yankees made that helped spark their run.

Yea but it was really just one change: Bernie williams to the bench for Cano. Our one change is gonna be big Frank.

so what if we're 33-16, we've been playing SUB 500 BALL for the last two weeks +

thats NOT good and we wont continue to be in first if we keep that up. We need to make a trade/do something about dye/everett/crede. I'm ok with Arow, Paulie, Pods, AJ, Iguchi but something HAS to be done to pick up our pitchers.

I agree with so what that we are 33-16. When you keep on losing, pretty soon it's going to be, "we're still a .500 team". Our hitting has been atrocious. We should be swining the bats much better than this. Walker does need to be canned and they need to bring back Hriniak. This pull baseball is crap. No one and I mean no one with the exception of Pods and Iguchi has swung a good bat this year for the whole year. PK has been crap. People need to stop defending him. Let's face it, he got up for the Cubs series and went back into his slumber. Dye at least was rising for 3 weeks slowly and hit his peak against the Cubs and then he went back to his slumber.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 28, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
PK has been crap. People need to stop defending him. Let's face it, he got up for the Cubs series and went back into his slumber. Dye at least was rising for 3 weeks slowly and hit his peak against the Cubs and then he went back to his slumber.

in the 5 games since the Cubs series, Konerko is hitting .315 with 2 HR and 4 RBI (he has struck out once in each game). you're right about Dye though.

QUOTE(AirScott @ May 28, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
in the 5 games since the Cubs series, Konerko is hitting .315 with 2 HR and 4 RBI (he has struck out once in each game).  you're right about Dye though.

Not a consistant .300. PK has been a guy who will do great for one game and suck ass the next. He's also very much like Willie(at least prior to this year) as in he doesn't get meaningful hits. He'll hit a HR after we're up by 4 runs and we really don't need anymore runs.