Quick Notes from Texas

Fotop

Hey guys, checkin' in here...good to see everyone hasn't jumped off the cliff yet. :P Anyways, I've been in Texas the last few days for the games, rainout sucked and today we just flat out got beat. I assume most of this has been hashed out but here are just a few things I observed today:

-As funny as it may seem, our hitters approach at the plate is getting a bit more positive. They are working counts, evident by Chan Ho's high early PC and I actually saw *gasp* uribe take THREE straight pitches. Leaving the guys on base...well that's a completely different story. But it's good to see at bats longer than 1 or 2 pitches these days (except for Konerko, who seems to have completely changed his approach because he used to NEVER swing at first pitch).

-I'm not all that worried about Garland. He was jamming guys, getting them to hit off the end of the bat, and the ball just fell in the right spots. Granted, he made a mistake to Mench...but Mench owns us. The only thing I worry about when it comes to Garland is what will this do to his confidence, and frankly I don't think it'll have that much of an adverse effect.

-As for the rest of the pitching, it's the same old story. Politte = good, Cotts and Takatsu = Bad. Pretty simple. I was really impressed with Politte who was hitting 96 on the gun in the park. He seems to be in a whole different gear this year.

Basically, we caught Texas at the wrong time. We all know they have the potential to mash the hell out of the ball and all of their hitters are clicking right now. What impressed me the most though is that throughout their 8gm winning streak all of their SP have the wins. That's pretty impressive. I can't say I'm all that angry about losing since they are REALLY playing well. Either way, I'm kind of glad for our sake that saturday's game got rained out because we'd probably be seeing a bunch of tired bullpen arms back at the cell.

As for Arlington, it's really a nice park. Very big, lots to see, and overall a good place to watch a game. This is the 12th park I've been to and it ranks right up there. Anyways, just thought I'd toss my two cents of live observation into the fold.

Let's bounce back tommorow w/Buerhle! :cheers

Thanks for the report Fotop. I watched on WGN and thought much the same as far as the hitters were concerned. I was probably more disappointed in Pods and Konerko at the plate even though Paulie did get robbed. Everett was looking better and so was Uribe. Jon didn't do that bad considering.

Just back as well.

I am going to disagree with Fotop on one count...

Guys and gals, I saw one thing that REALLY concerns me. When Mench hit that home run, I was sitting about one section over. Hell, I was probably on tv. That was a f***ing BOMB.

But, I was watching the reaction of our players. Their body language was "oh, s***, we're done". I have not seen that all year until today, granted I do not watch these guys every day.

But to see some of the guys hang their head told me that they are not as confident as they were.

These guys are pressing. Hard. And they're not playing loose anymore.

Some of these guys were approaching the plate a little better then games past, but Podsenick looked horrible today. Where Pods goes, the Sox go, at least for the most part.

Garland was doing ok, except for the Mench pitch. But I kinda felt that one coming.

Oh, and one more thing.

Shingo is DONE. They all have the book on him from last season and that's it. I know there's a lot of Shingo backers around here, but these guys sat back and waited for him to pitch what they knew was coming and launched his ass.

I doubt he's effective for long stretches again.

And while I'm at it. Cotts needs sent down to learn how to control his pitches. He needs to work consistently. He looked awful out there.

Garland was doing ok, except for the Mench pitch.  But I kinda felt that one coming.

LOL, what? That was a typical Garland 2004 6th inning...

Bottom 6TH B:0 S:0 O:0

David Dellucci singles on a line drive to center fielder Aaron Rowand. 

Bottom 6TH B:0 S:1 O:0

Michael Young singles on a line drive to center fielder Aaron Rowand.    David Dellucci to 3rd. 

Bottom 6TH B:1 S:1 O:1

Mark Teixeira grounds into a force out, shortstop Juan Uribe to second baseman Tadahito Iguchi.    David Dellucci scores.    Michael Young out at 2nd.    Mark Teixeira to 1st. 

Bottom 6TH B:0 S:1 O:2

Hank Blalock lines out to right fielder Jermaine Dye. 

Bottom 6TH B:1 S:0 O:2

Alfonso Soriano singles on a fly ball to right fielder Jermaine Dye.    Mark Teixeira to 3rd. 

Bottom 6TH B:2 S:2 O:2

Kevin Mench homers (8) on a fly ball to left field. Mark Teixeira scores.    Alfonso Soriano scores. 

Bottom 6TH B:1 S:2 O:2

Laynce Nix doubles (7) on a ground ball to left fielder Scott Podsednik. 

Bottom 6TH B:4 S:0 O:2

Richard Hidalgo walks. 

Bottom 6TH B:0 S:1 O:2

Rod Barajas doubles (8) on a fly ball to right fielder Jermaine Dye.    Laynce Nix scores.    Richard Hidalgo scores. 

Bottom 6TH B:0 S:3 O:3

David Dellucci called out on strikes.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 29, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
LOL, what?  That was a typical Garland 2004 6th inning...

Garland had two ducksnorts that fell in. Nothing was hit hard except the Mench pitch.

In fact, the Soriano pitch he had Soriano completely fooled and he hit it off the end of the bat which fell in, real lazy like.

Yea, like I said I'm not all that worried about Garland yet...he had guys off balance, they just put 'em where they ain't.

Kap, I was sitting practically on top of first base (2nd row right next to the dugout) so I couldn't really tell much of what was going on in the dugout. But I'm sure the morale was on par with your statements. 3 run homers can do that to any team...and as my dad would say, it's one of the deadliest plays in baseball (since they happen much more often than grand slams, blah blah blah)

As for Shingo, I completely agree and feel as though we either need to give a AAA pitcher a chance or look to add from the outside. Shingo, Cotts, and Viz on the back end just isn't going to cut it. I mean those extra runs when you're down 2 or 3 can really demoralize a team. "Junk" time or whatever, hell pitching when we're behind, needs to be better. Period.

EDIT: Agree on the Pods front as well, he really fuels the team. But, on a very positive note we were able to score some runs without him today. 4 runs w/an o-fer Pods is impressive for they way this offense is running. We just couldn't stop the runaway train that is the Rangers' offense.

Edited by Fotop

Yea, like I said I'm not all that worried about Garland yet...he had guys off balance, they just put 'em where they ain't.

Kap, I was sitting practically on top of first base (2nd row right next to the dugout) so I couldn't really tell much of what was going on in the dugout. But I'm sure the morale was on par with your statements. 3 run homers can do that to any team...and as my dad would say, it's one of the deadliest plays in baseball (since they happen much more often than grand slams, blah blah blah)

As for Shingo, I completely agree and feel as though we either need to give a AAA pitcher a chance or look to add from the outside. Shingo, Cotts, and Viz on the back end just isn't going to cut it. I mean those extra runs when you're down 2 or 3 can really demoralize a team. "Junk" time or whatever, hell pitching when we're behind, needs to be better. Period.

I would usually agree with you about the demorilization stemming from the extra two-three runs, but with the Sox offense as it is (pathetic, ugly, ineffective,.....) they weren't coming back today under any circumstances. These extra two-three runs when pitching from behind haven't really been a pattern for the pen, so far. I don't think Kenny-boy should concentrate on anything but improving the worst offense since the dead ball era. In particular, dumping the sorry sack of a third baseman, he of the .302 lifetime OBP.

The way I lookat things right now, is in the beginning of the season, every f***ing break we were getting. Now, we're not getting ANY breaks.

I think Frank coming back will help elevate play a little bit.

I don't expect magic from Big Frank, but I do think the lineup will click a little better. Just call it a hunch.

That was only the 11th home run to be hit in the club section at the Ballpark.

That thing just EXPLODED off the bat.  I don't think I've seen one get out like that one did - live.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 29, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
That was only the 11th home run to be hit in the club section at the Ballpark.

That thing just EXPLODED off the bat.  I don't think I've seen one get out like that one did - live.

Talk about the hardest HRs I've seen hit live? That one was MAYBE top five. But yes, it was crushed. I can tell you my top three though, all at the cell, two of them off of Foulke (with the honorable mention going to one off of foulke as well)

I don't really remember the years but:

3) McGwire hitting one out of U.S. Cellular, literally, it one hopped the LF concourse and bounced out over the hat shop.

2) Giambi trashing Foulke for a 3-run shot to right.

1) Eric Chavez DESTROYING Foulke to the Right Center concourse.

Honorable Mention: Sosa mashing Foulke to tie a Cubs v. Sox game in the Ninth. more than likely cork and steriod aided, but hey so was Giambi's.

Just thought I'd go off on a little tangent here, but I agree that ball was destroyed.

Talk about the hardest HRs I've seen hit live? That one was MAYBE top five. But yes, it was crushed. I can tell you my top three though, all at the cell, two of them off of Foulke (with the honorable mention going to one off of foulke as well)

3) McGwire hitting one out of U.S. Cellular, literally, it one hopped the LF concourse and bounced out over the hat shop.

Honorable Mention: Sosa mashing Foulke to tie a Cubs v. Sox game in the Ninth. more than likely cork and steriod aided, but hey so was Giambi's.

Just thought I'd go off on a little tangent here, but I agree that ball was destroyed.

I was there when Pasqua hit it to the concourse. What a shot.

QUOTE(Fotop @ May 29, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)

The one that Frank hit that landed in the left center field concourse got out in a hurry. I think that was the longest one at the Cell until Borchard's 504 ft blast last year against the Phils.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 29, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
Just back as well.

I am going to disagree with Fotop on one count...

Guys and gals, I saw one thing that REALLY concerns me.  When Mench hit that home run, I was sitting about one section over.  Hell, I was probably on tv.  That was a f***ing BOMB.

But, I was watching the reaction of our players.  Their body language was "oh, s***, we're done".  I have not seen that all year until today, granted I do not watch these guys every day.

But to see some of the guys hang their head told me that they are not as confident as they were.

These guys are pressing.  Hard.  And they're not playing loose anymore.

Some of these guys were approaching the plate a little better then games past, but Podsenick looked horrible today.  Where Pods goes, the Sox go, at least for the most part.

Garland was doing ok, except for the Mench pitch.  But I kinda felt that one coming.

I think you're right about how much these guys are pressing. But I think that it also has the potential to snap back just as much the other way.

Almost every one of the guys in that lineup is underperforming right now. Boston was doing the exact same thing earlier this week, and were falling farther back. Then the game hit Saturday night in New York...and boom.

Today was probably about as rough of a loss as it can get...we were just made fools of. But what really did hurt is that no one felt like we could come back. On the other hand...you give this team 1 comeback win or 1 huge outburst on our home field before a good crowd...and maybe a little shot in the arm from #35, and that offense might suddenly start it going.

Remember back in 2003...the offense was garbage until the all-star break, when KW traded for Alomar and Everett, and all of a sudden, things started clicking for like 2 weeks - Ordonez hit .600 for 2 weeks, Konerko, Thomas, and Lee all got it going, and we pulled nearly even with Minnesota?

I think this team is primed for something very similar. We have guys with plenty of skill, but things just aren't clicking together. But if they do...we'll suddenly start putting a lot more runs on the board. And we've got a lot better pitching than we had in 2003.

I think you're right about how much these guys are pressing.  But I think that it also has the potential to snap back just as much the other way.

Almost every one of the guys in that lineup is underperforming right now.  Boston was doing the exact same thing earlier this week, and were falling farther back.  Then the game hit Saturday night in New York...and boom.

Today was probably about as rough of a loss as it can get...we were just made fools of.  But what really did hurt is that no one felt like we could come back.  On the other hand...you give this team 1 comeback win or 1 huge outburst on our home field before a good crowd...and maybe a little shot in the arm from #35, and that offense might suddenly start it going.

Remember back in 2003...the offense was garbage until the all-star break, when KW traded for Alomar and Everett, and all of a sudden, things started clicking for like 2 weeks - Ordonez hit .600 for 2 weeks, Konerko, Thomas, and Lee all got it going, and we pulled nearly even with Minnesota?

I think this team is primed for something very similar.  We have guys with plenty of skill, but things just aren't clicking together.  But if they do...we'll suddenly start putting a lot more runs on the board.  And we've got a lot better pitching than we had in 2003.

Yeah, but in 2003 we had Maggs, Lee, Konerko, and 35 year old, healthy Thomas.  This year we have Konerko, 37 year old, receently injured Thomas, and then nothing.  I just wonder how long we'll be saying its early, in regards to the offense, before we look up at the calendar and realize its September.  As good as the pitching is, you still need to hit somewhat.

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)

Yeah, but think about this:

We've now got Iguchi at 2nd base instead of...aw heck, was Jimenez still here or was Harris at 2b then?

We've got Pierzynski catching instead of Olivo/Alomar.

We've got Uribe instead of Valentin.

We've got ARow in Center.

We don't have the biggest of the big guns from that year's lineup. But we're much more solid at the positions that in 2003 were weaker.

We just need a few guys to snap out of some ridiculous funks. Uribe, Crede, Dye, Everett, and now Pods.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
Yeah, but think about this:

We've now got Iguchi at 2nd base instead of...aw heck, was Jimenez still here or was Harris at 2b then?

We've got Pierzynski catching instead of Olivo/Alomar.

We've got Uribe instead of Valentin.

We've got ARow in Center.

We don't have the biggest of the big guns from that year's lineup.  But we're much more solid at the positions that in 2003 were weaker.

We just need a few guys to snap out of some ridiculous funks.  Uribe, Crede, Dye, Everett, and now Pods.

I have a good feeling about Frank coming back and getting the guys to relax a little. Frank's not going to be the cure-all, but he CAN make a difference in a ballgame, and that should be enough to let the guys who have not had THE spotlight on them to perform a little better.