White Sox want Jeff Clement

Guest JimH

Guest JimH

It appears the White Sox have zeroed in on USC catcher Jeff Clement for their 1st round pick Tuesday, although there's serious doubt he'll be available. Here's the snippet from the White Sox site:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the clock: With the First-Year Player Draft just two days away, White Sox senior director of player personnel Duane Shaffer said Sunday that a field of 600 players on the team's board will be narrowed down to focus on the South Siders' top two picks during meetings in Chicago. Jeff Clement, a standout catcher from USC, would be the White Sox's ideal first-round pick, filling both a need and the title of best player available.

But Clement is unlikely to last until the White Sox's No. 15 pick. The desire for a catcher, though, doesn't mean the White Sox will pass up other players they have ranked higher just to fill a thin spot in the organization. The goal is to draft an impact player, much like Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney have been in the Minor Leagues, or a player who could make an impact through a trade, such as shortstop Michael Morse (3rd round, 2000) as part of the Freddy Garcia deal.

"I don't think you can draft for need," Shaffer said. "Don't take a lesser player for a need. We got a pretty good right-handed pitcher in Freddy because of the draft. That's why you take the best guy."

Shaffer mentioned that pitching isn't a priority in the draft, although the White Sox are likely to select a pitcher in the first round if Clement isn't available. But pitching usually is the draft's strength, according to Shaffer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they don't get Clement I expect the pick to be either Carillo or Bogesevic.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't mind Clement. Baseball America seems to like him a whole lot, saying he's improved in just about every area (handling the stick at the plate, plate discipline, defense). Though, if Townsend falls to #15, I really hope they don't pass on him.

And Cheat, if you get to reading this, I had two Draft Previews just about done for a diary on your blog, and both times, my laptop (actually, not mine, my brother's) just shut off on me. It's probably not a big deal to you, but I might try it again tonight on a different computer, if not, then my apologies. I was really looking forward to seeing what people thought about it...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
And on John Sickels' blog, they had a mock draft in which the Sox grabbed Wade Townsend.

Jeff Clement went fourth to the Nats.

Zimmerman is going to the Nationals, there is no other for the Nationals. I'm not sold on Bogusevic, and if it comes down to choosing him or Carillo, I'd rather take Carillo.

If Townsend falls to #15 the Sox have gotta grab him. Sure he may end up being a reliever, but you don't pass on a guy with his kind of stuff.

I'd prefer Bogusevic ahead of Carillo, but that's just me. No way do I want Clement at #15, I know Jason said there's a guy we can take in the 4th or 5th who has better defense IIRC.

Looks like the Sox are going for a "need" pick here and not takin the best player available IMHO.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
Wade Townsend is a Boras guy, is he not?

No he's not;

Rice right-hander Wade Townsend, selected eighth by the Baltimore Orioles last year, held out the entire year (he is not a Boras client)

I have to say I'm not nearly as high on Townsend as most of you seem to be. Not only the year off, but during some mid-May workouts his fastball sat at 85-89mph. With most scouts thinking his intensity will lead to the pen for him, I say no thanks. I would rather end up with Carillo, Clement, or get Ryan Zimmerman if he slides. Zimmerman won't be 21 until late September.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 05:20 AM)
I have to say I'm not nearly as high on Townsend as most of you seem to be. Not only the year off, but during some mid-May workouts his fastball sat at 85-89mph. With most scouts thinking his intensity will lead to the pen for him, I say no thanks. I would rather end up with Carillo, Clement, or get Ryan Zimmerman if he slides. Zimmerman won't be 21 until late September.

I agree completely.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 05:20 AM)

I thought I'd' heard that he was back up to the mid-90s...?

Anyways, if Zimmerman somehow falls to #15, they must take him. Must.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)

May 19: Townsend Less Impressive In Recent Workouts

by Jim Callis

Former Rice righthander Wade Townsend, whose negotiations with the Orioles quickly broke down after they took him eighth overall last year, has been pitching again in workouts for clubs in Texas. His last two outings haven't been as impressive as the first two, as he has pitched at 85-88 mph and rarely cracked 90. Last year, his fastball usually ranged from 88-92 mph with the Owls. Townsend's best pitch is his spike curveball, and even that looked average rather than plus his last two times out. Townsend obviously wasn't going to be in full game shape, so while some teams are backing off of him others aren't too concerned. It still sounds like he'll go in the first round, and he could go as high as the No. 8 pick again, this time to the Devil Rays. Coincidentally, his next scheduled workout will be held in Tampa on Monday.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
That isn't even a fair characterization.  Townsend got victimized by a loophole in MLB's negotiating rules that disallowed him from negotiating with Baltimore.  He didn't "hold out all year".

Wade Townsend pretty much got screwed by Peter Angelos and that's all there is to it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
If Townsend falls to #15 the Sox have gotta grab him. Sure he may end up being a reliever, but you don't pass on a guy with his kind of stuff.

I'd prefer Bogusevic ahead of Carillo, but that's just me. No way do I want Clement at #15, I know Jason said there's a guy we can take in the 4th or 5th who has better defense IIRC.

Looks like the Sox are going for a "need" pick here and not takin the best player available IMHO.

Chris Robinson the catcher out of Ontario (via the University of Illinois)... would be a really solid 4th or 5th rounder if he falls that far.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 05:36 AM)
Wade Townsend pretty much got screwed by Peter Angelos and that's all there is to it.

No, it was nobodies fault. Townsend wanted to go back to school to finish up his degree during the negotiation process. He registered for classes and MLB came up with a retarded ruling that he was no longer eligible to sign with the Orioles and would have to re-enter the draft.

It was one of the worse decisions I've ever seen MLB make.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:10 AM)
I thought I'd' heard that he was back up to the mid-90s...?

Anyways, if Zimmerman somehow falls to #15, they must take him.  Must.

What point of Ryan Zimmerman will not last past the 4th pick do you not understand? He's going to the Nationals, end of story.

I still want Townsend. I just think that once he gets back into the 'swing of things', he'll get that velocity back up to where it was (low-mid 90s). And, maybe I'm wrong in thinking that, but he must have been doing something right to be striking out over 12/9 IP and 11/9 IP in 2003 and 2004.

Thats a bigger questionmark than Carillo whose already very round. If Carillo was 6-3, he'd be a top 10 pick, probably a top 5 pick. I think he's a huge value pick if he's available, but someone may snag him before he gets to the Sox.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
Thats a bigger questionmark than Carillo whose already very round.  If Carillo was 6-3, he'd be a top 10 pick, probably a top 5 pick.  I think he's a huge value pick if he's available, but someone may snag him before he gets to the Sox.

I like Carillo alot but I do worry taking another smallish hard throwing pitcher as Gio kinda fits the same mold. I know that Carillo has been throwing for Miami for the past three years and that Gio doesnt have the Plus-Plus FB that Carillo has but they both lack the size alot of scouts are looking for.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
Thats a bigger questionmark than Carillo whose already very round.  If Carillo was 6-3, he'd be a top 10 pick, probably a top 5 pick.  I think he's a huge value pick if he's available, but someone may snag him before he gets to the Sox.

Honestly, I think I've got my heart set on two guys: Matt Torra and Wade Townsend. Torra is listed as the #2 college pitcher for Best Command, #5 for Best Breaking Ball, #5 for Best Fastball. It seems the only knocks on him is that he might be a little worn out just because of college. If that's the only reason to knock him, he must be doing something right. Good build at 6-3, good fastball, real good breaking ball -- he seems like a better pick than Carrillo or Bogusevic, but that's JMHO.