Roster Expansion

mwolfson

When do we see the roster expand (date) and to how many players can it expand to? Also, I'd be interested in hearing your guys opinions on what you think that roster would look like but not using trades, only call ups from the minors, etc. Thanks!

- Mike

QUOTE(sayitanitso @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
There is the September call ups, when the bring up minor leaguers. That's the only time i know when the roster is expanded.

Yeah, I know about September call ups but my question is how many players can be on the active roster for that time and it continues and if anyone wants to throw out what the possible roster would look like with these roster moves, i'd be happy to look and discuss the topic. Personally, I feel we will make at least one trade by the deadline but not sure who it will be but I can see maybe Gload (maybe even Rogowski being called up if Gload is still hurt or not able to play yet) along with many other minor league pitchers such as Jeff Bajenaru, Brandon McCarthy, etc. and Brian Anderson being called up to give some of our starters well needed time off during the stretch run.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
Welcome to Soxtalk... Sept first is roster expansion and it goes to 40 players, all though they never recall close to that many players, more like 5 or 6 players tops.

Yeah, I thought so... So let's say they call up 4-5 players, who do you guys think they will be. Thanks!

QUOTE(mwolfson @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)
Yeah, I know about September call ups but my question is how many players can be on the active roster for that time and it continues and if anyone wants to throw out what the possible roster would look like with these roster moves, i'd be happy to look and discuss the topic. Personally, I feel we will make at least one trade by the deadline but not sure who it will be but I can see maybe Gload (maybe even Rogowski being called up if Gload is still hurt or not able to play yet) along with many other minor league pitchers such as Jeff Bajenaru, Brandon McCarthy, etc. and Brian Anderson being called up to give some of our starters well needed time off during the stretch run.

O ok, sorry I misread the question.

QUOTE(mwolfson @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
Yeah, I thought so... So let's say they call up 4-5 players, who do you guys think they will be. Thanks!

Depending on what moves are made during the rest of the season, right now we only have one open spot on the 40 man roster, so basically they all would be guys on there. I think Brian Anderson has his name all over the 40th slot, barring a trade. Also look for guys like Jeff Bajenaru, Jaime Burke, Joe Borchard if he can get going, Arnie Munoz, and Felix Diaz.

Don't know how I forgot Brandon McCarthy :bang

Edited by southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 08:16 AM)
Depending on what moves are made during the rest of the season, right now we only have one open spot on the 40 man roster, so basically they all would be guys on there.  I think Brian Anderson has his name all over the 40th slot, barring a trade.  Also look for guys like Jeff Bajenaru,  Jaime Burke, Joe Borchard if he can get going, Arnie Munoz, and Felix Diaz.

Don't know how I forgot Brandon McCarthy :bang

Flashbacks of last year fifth starter.... :crying

On Sep 1st, two things happen:

1 - the active roster is expanded to 40

2 - the 40 man roster ends

If you don't call any one up from the ml's then everyone on your current 40 man roster is eligible to play. In order to call a player up you must first remove a man from your current 40 man roster either via assignment, options or waivers.

This is why most teams only call up a few guys. Most of the guys currently on the 40 man roster are better players than those in the ml's.

This only applies to the last month of the regular season (incl Oct). When playoffs start each team must decide the best 25 men to battle with.

On Sep 1st, two things happen:

1 - the active roster is expanded to 40

2 - the 40 man roster ends

If you don't call any one up from the ml's then everyone on your current 40 man roster is eligible to play.  In order to call a player up you must first remove a man from your current 40 man roster either via assignment, options or waivers.

To simplify, those wondering should go to www.whitesox.com and look up the 40 man roster. 15 of them will not be on the current major league active roster ... those 15 are, for now, the candidates to be called up 9/1.

On the second statement, this is true if the 40 man is full. As an example, the Sox 40 man roster currently stands at 39. They can add one guy to the roster by purchasing his contract from the minor league team, or adding someone from another organization.

If the 40 man is full, and they wanted to add someone ... a current member of the 40 man has to be taken off (similar to what they just did with Kris Honel).

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
To simplify, those wondering should go to www.whitesox.com and look up the 40 man roster.  15 of them will not be on the current major league active roster ... those 15 are, for now, the  candidates to be called up 9/1.

On the second statement, this is true if the 40 man is full.  As an example, the Sox 40 man roster currently stands at 39.  They can add one guy to the roster by purchasing his contract from the minor league team, or adding someone from another organization.

If the 40 man is full, and they wanted to add someone ... a current member of the 40 man has to be taken off (similar to what they just did with Kris Honel).

Ah, good explaination guys... Thanks for the help. I suppose if the Sox are to call some guys up for the home stretch guys such as Brandon McCarthy, Jeff Bajenaru and Brian Anderson would be some of the first guys mentioned and then maybe Sean Tracey or Bobby Jenks also to add some more pitching.

QUOTE(mwolfson @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
Ah, good explaination guys... Thanks for the help. I suppose if the Sox are to call some guys up for the home stretch guys such as Brandon McCarthy, Jeff Bajenaru and Brian Anderson would be some of the first guys mentioned and then maybe Sean Tracey or Bobby Jenks also to add some more pitching.

You won't see Sean Tracey this year however with recent rumors you may be seeing Bobby Jenks in the Bigs even though I don't think he's ready.

QUOTE(mwolfson @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)

I believe all of those players, with the exception of Tracey, will probably be up. Add in Diaz as well.

Also, sup fellow IU student!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
Jenks wont be up, he isnt ready especially mentally.

How do we all know that, I bet if he wasnt ready mentally the Barons manager would tell KW not to do it no matter what? So if he is indeed called up Im sure he will be ready mentally.

Cerb,

Do you think, therefore, that Anderson will be added to the 40-man?

Of course, Baj could easily be up before September, expecially if Damaso is hurt. I think he deserves it above Jenks, but I also think Diaz is an option.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
How do we all know that,  I bet if he wasnt ready mentally the Barons manager would tell KW not to do it no matter what?  So if he is indeed called up Im sure he will be ready mentally.

because it was long a part of his scouting report

Bobby Jenks: Jenks has an overpowering fastball and a curveball that is considered one of the best in the minors. With his gaudy strikeout rates (103 Ks in 83 innings in Double-A last year), Jenks could be become the successor to Troy Percival. One key factor that could keep Jenks from getting to the next level is his inability to limit his walks: Even after a sizeable improvement, his walk rate still stood at an ugly 6.1 per 9 IP in '03. Jenks also needs to shake his off-field troubles and capitalize on the many chances that the Angels have given him.

Health is going to play a role in this for sure but I think the odds are better for position players to be called up rather than pitchers. You don't want to expense starts from your top 5 for a call-up & you don't want to expense appearances from rested relievers for a call-up.

If the Sox rotation continues to pitch long into games I don't see pitchers called up getting much work. Maybe extra inning games or following a short start but nothing else. You want to enter the post firing on all cylinders & that takes steady & consistent playing time.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
Cerb,

Do you think, therefore, that Anderson will be added to the 40-man?

Of course, Baj could easily be up before September, expecially if Damaso is hurt. I think he deserves it above Jenks, but I also think Diaz is an option.

If Anderson keeps putting up the numbers he is now, and isn't traded (which I believe he will), the Sox organization should add him to the 40 man. To make room for him they could easily just cut Adkins loose, it's not like you're losing much there.