1. 1. Last Night Comcast Poll

• Mark Buehrle
    • Jack McDowell
    • Lamar Hoyt
    • Richard Dotson
    • Alex Fernandez
    • Mike Sirtoka
    • Jon Garland

Black Jack McDowell was one of the best pitchers I have ever watched. I have never seen anyone, anywhere, as capable of going out on a day when he didn't have his good pitches working and still pitching a 1 run ballgame.

Mark's got to win 20 before I start putting him in Jack's class (this could very well be the year, btw)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
It would have been LaMarr Hoyt if he hadn't have thrown away his career for drugs.  Right now it has to be Black Jack, simply because he went longer, but no doubt Buehrle will surpass him if he stays healthy and a White Sox.

Statiscally, Buehrle should surpass McDowell either by the end of 2005 or midway through 2006. Plus, Buehrle looks like he has a real chance to basically have two careers when you compare him to McDowell.

Speaking of Black Jack, this is kind of changing the subject, but I hope the Sox bring him back to broadcast a few games. He was fabulous in that game in Anaheim.

Back to the topic though, my vote was for McDowell. 20 game winner, won in the playoffs, and had sustained success. Give Buehrle a year or two and he should easily be at the top of the list.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
Back to the topic though, my vote was for McDowell.  20 game winner, won in the playoffs, and had sustained success.  Give Buehrle a year or two and he should easily be at the top of the list.

Whoops. Black Jack was 0-2 with a 10 ERA in the playoffs in 1993 for the White Sox.

To me, it was close between Buehrle & Fernandez & McDowell ....the ERA+ for all of them very close, although McDowell was lower but more consistent.

I picked Buehrle. My bet is that Buehrle would be a CLUTCH playoff pitcher, unlike McDowell (who was tipping his pitches, unfortunately).

It's close to between Black Jack and Buehrle, but i'll go with Black Jack as he had a complete carrer. I think Buehrle will have a better carrer though, but of course it isn't over yet. Black Jack led the most dominant team in the league in the strike year and who knows what could of happened. Hopefully Buehrle will be a Sox his whole carrer unlike McDowell.