The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
The Marlins also didn't have the best record in baseball, or a closer who is 17 for 18 in save situations, or three starters with an ERA under 3.30. They're a team that needed some help in order to get to the playoffs in the first place, and they just barely snuck into the playoffs. Then things started breaking their way.

I'm not sure what these things have to do with anything unless it's somehow to compare them to the '05 Sox(why not compare them to the '03 Sox who didn't fire their manager, didn't trade for a 5th starter they desperately needed, and didn't trade for Urbina when EVERYONE knew their closer was a joke), but no they didn't have the best record in baseball, that was the Yankees who they beat in the WS. They did have a closer who ended up with 28 saves that yr with Looper. No they didn't have 3 starters with era's below 3.30, they had 2. The other 3 were 3.59, 4.13, and 4.30 for a rotation era of about 3.60. They didn't start out well but after firing their manager they went 16-10 in June and 17-7 in July so they certainly were a hot team at the trade deadline. And of course they had the biggest break any team could ever have, they got to play the scrubs in the league championship. We won't get that break.

I'm realizing as I'm typing this that I might sound like I'm a big advocate for getting Schmidt but I'm not, but I'm also not against it if it's for the right deal(if we could get him for what VAFan is proposing I'd be exstatic but I ain't holding my breath). In fact if you look at the WS participants over the last 10 yrs you'll see a noticable lack of deadline trades and if you wanted to point out how big of a bust a deadline trade can be then look at the '03 Giants who went after THE big named pitcher that yr who was also rumored to be hurting, Ponson. Of course, he was actually hurting and sucked down the stretch for them and was bombed by the Marlins in his only playoff start.

I want another quality BP arm and for me that's Guardado. I no there's an injury risk there but that also means his price will be alot lower. And if this teams chemistry is going to be shattered by replacing a Viz with a Guardado then the whole thing is a f_ckin mirage anyhow.

Edited by upnorthsox

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
...and if you wanted to point out how big of a bust a deadline trade can be then look at the '03 Giants who went after THE big named pitcher that yr who was also rumored to be hurting, Ponson. Of course, he was actually hurting and sucked down the stretch for them and was bombed by the Marlins in his only playoff start.

Ponson pitched fine down the stretch, 3.7 era and his usual k, bb rates. If you go by era+, his time w/ the Giants was the best stint of his ML career. He didn't pitch well in his one postseason start, but I don't know if "bombed" is right. There aren't any ML pitchers incapable of 4 er over 5 ip on a bad day. No walks, a few strikeouts -- bad, but not evidence of much of anything.

Obviously, he's sucked ever since. But it's a bad example. Ponson did his job well and the prospects all petered out. If Ponson is the worst deadline deal you can come up w/, then trade trade trade Kenny! And Schmidt is a much different player anyway. If he gets right, he's a top 5 pitcher in all baseball. Noone could ever say that about Sidney Augustus Ponson Gloop.