The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

After seeing Pale Hose Talk littered with tons of trade threads, both real and imagined, we have decided to minimize the clutter that has come with it, and start a thread for all of the trade talk in one place. From now on all trade rumors and why don't we trade for so-and-so talk will belong here. Any new threads will be merged into here. The one exception will be is if the Sox make an ACTUAL deal, then we will have other threads about it. Until that point, please keep all trade talk in these confines.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Idea!

BTW, let's hope for the most important trade, one that could have excellent long term benefits for the southside. Let's hope that a couple hundred thousand casual Cub fans trade in their Cubbie blue for Sox black, and remain fans.

As much as us hard core types will b**** about the bandwagon jumpers, these are the people that keep Wrigley sold out, or nearly sold out every game. Imagine what a million new fans in attendance would do for the team. The hardcore Cub fans will stay with their team, but IMHO there is a vast group in the middle we can win over.

Be kind to noobs. Invite a casual fan to a game.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
this thread is going to get way too unruly to sift through after about three days.

Better one thread, than the whole front page of Pale Hose Talk. This is for the greater good.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
this thread is going to get way too unruly to sift through after about three days.

Most speculation dies in a day or two. Just go to the last unread post.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Better one thread, than the whole front page of Pale Hose Talk.  This is for the greater good.

Two pages on Schmidt, then three pages on Randa, then nine pages on Chavez, then one page on Schmidt rehashing everything said on previous Schmidt pages, then three pages on Randa rehashing everything said on previous pages about Randa, then three pages of people b****ing about reading the entire thread. Repeat ad nauseam.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
Two pages on Schmidt, then three pages on Randa, then nine pages on Chavez, then one page on Schmidt rehashing everything said on previous Schmidt pages, then three pages on Randa rehashing everything said on previous pages about Randa, then three pages of people b****ing about reading the entire thread. Repeat ad nauseam.

Which is better than a thread on Randa, a thread on Schmidt, a thread on Chavez, a thread on Castilla, a thread on Lidge, a thread on Oswalt,a thread on Moyer, a thread on Guardado etc ... to where there is nothing on the front page but "[insertmediaoutlet] hates the Sox" and trade threads, to go along with the day's game thread.

The board will be much more user friendly like this, in the big picture.

Yes, it cuts down on having a million threads.

The other option is this ... which I know you guys don't want to do ... new members cannot start threads for 6 months. They can post, but not start threads.

Not to sound elitist, I'm certainly not trying to do that, but every time school lets out we get totally overrun with young people who feel the need to start a thread every day. Usually they are of the caliber "We should trade Borchard for A-Rod" or "Look at me, I was on TV!!!!" ... just off the wall stuff.

Seeing as this site is for learning, maybe we should let new people observe, add their comments, and see what this place is all about for a while.

But I agree - the trade speculation threads clutter things up big time. The idea of one big trade thread is well worth trying.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Yes, it cuts down on having a million threads.

The other option is this ... which I know you guys don't want to do ... new members cannot start threads for 6 months.  They can post, but not start threads.

Not to sound elitist, I'm certainly not trying to do that, but every time school lets out we get totally overrun with young people who feel the need to start a thread every day.  Usually they are of the caliber "We should trade Borchard for A-Rod" or "Look at me, I was on TV!!!!" ... just off the wall stuff.

Seeing as this site is for learning, maybe we should let new people observe, add their comments, and see what this place is all about for a while.

But I agree - the trade speculation threads clutter things up big time.  The idea of one big trade thread is well worth trying.

Jim,

That has been discussed without a clear consensus. I can only speak for myself. I feel a post minimum encourages spamming, Some posters have been solid right out of the gate and stifling them would not be in our communities best interest. We also have some long time posters who are as bad as anyone. It's an imperfect world. I believe most members here get into a pattern of skipping over some threads and posters based on who started it, etc. We also look for posts from some members. For example, I always read your posts.

If there was a time when we needed to restrict a little I think time would be the best choice.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
Which is better than a thread on Randa, a thread on Schmidt, a thread on Chavez, a thread on Castilla, a thread on Lidge, a thread on Oswalt,a thread on Moyer, a thread on Guardado etc ... to where there is nothing on the front page but "[insertmediaoutlet] hates the Sox" and trade threads, to go along with the day's game thread.

The board will be much more user friendly like this, in the big picture.

Hold on! I didn't know we were interested in Moyer. GET IT DONE!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Hold on!  I didn't know we were interested in Moyer.  GET IT DONE!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not certain he's the answer. Linked Here I hope KW is very careful and checks all the information.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
ill pass, one good game for saarloos and people think hes amazing

No, how about Saarloos has a few years of dependable service that would make him a good 5th starter, and people think he'd be a good fit with Chavez in the deal.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
No, how about Saarloos has a few years of dependable service that would make him a good 5th starter, and people think he'd be a good fit with Chavez in the deal.

A's wouldnt trade away their young pitchers anyhow

I think it's a good idea .. the giant thread. Keeping track of the others is too much work.

Randa? If he's willing to ride the pen yes. If he can play 1B he'll ride it less.

Chavez? If he's available yes. His 3 #'s say he'll have a good 2nd half. It's a pipedream though because he's not available.

Moyer? I like the idea of adding a LHSP to the rotation. Yes.

Lilly? I think he can fill a good dual purpose role as a spot starter & LH in the pen. Few of the other names available can do that. Yes.

Oswalt? He's not available, but if you want to dream then Yes.

Pettite? see Moyer.

Clemens? Do you have to ask? YES!

Castilla? No. Crede will outperform him in the 2nd half. I have no doubts.

Guardado? Do you have to ask? YES!

Schmidt? Ulcer time. He's strong against the middle of NL lineups. That's a good sign he will do very well in the AL. His 03, 04 numbers are real so the only risk appears to be health related to 05. His last 2 starts (16IP, 0R, 15K's) would suggest he is NOT damaged goods. He started strong (4/5 good/quality starts), & then 6 bad starts surrounding 15 day DL time.

He will cost no less than $14-15M for the remainder of this year & next.

He will cost no less than BMac, Anderson, & Sweeney.

Maybe. If I really think BAL will get him if we don't I'm leaning towards Yes. It pretty much means we either jump to a $90M payroll next year or we say goodbye to Konerko & trade Contreras/El Duque.

Omar? If he's available strictly as a salary dump/swap costing no more than Uribe & PTBNL then yes.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT