The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know if this has been mention but the Dodgers are looking to making a trade with the Sox for Carl E..

Where did you hear this?

EDIT: Here it is...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb...ack=1&cset=true

Other available players who fit Dodger needs and McCourt's budget include outfielders Aubrey Huff of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Carl Everett of the Chicago White Sox.
Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
I heard it on the sports radio station here in LA...

If we did trade Carl to LA just curious who the Sox want in return

Not going to happen. IMO, it isn't worth speculating

It's funny how things go, in the off-season I'd have taken just about anything for Carl. Now, on July 1st of this season I can't think of anything I'd realistically trade him for.

You would have taken anything for Everett in the beginning of the season even though we knew that Frank would miss a month or two and we needed a DH? :huh:

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
Billy Wagner just may have talked his way out of Philly. No way will Philly fans be kind to Wagner after this. He should be gone by the deadline. With his being a FA after this yr, few teams will overpay for him. I'd hate to see Boston come bidding for him. But the sox should be making a call today, if they haven't already

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Fri, Jul. 01, 2005

On Baseball | Wagner says Phils can't win

The outspoken closer, asked about playoff prospects, replied: "No chance."

By Jim Salisbury

Inquirer Columnist

NEW YORK - Two games before the midpoint of another season of great expectations and even greater underachievement, the Phillies are just a game over .500 and 71/2 games out of first place in the National League East.

As July begins, it's difficult to imagine this sputtering $95 million clunker making the playoffs.

Just ask Billy Wagner.

"No chance," was his response when asked yesterday whether he thought the Phillies had what it takes to make the postseason.

I don't know, it seems like a typical Cubune Sox story, fan the flames of descent and ruin in the headline and 1st paragraph and only after reading the whole thing do you get to the heart of the matter. Do the Mets own the Inquirer or vise versa?

According the Boston Globe- Both the Red Sox and the White Sox are seriously pursuing Jason Schmidt. The Red Sox aren't sure about Schilling ankle and wonder if he will be the same, white the White Sox aren't sure about El-duque's arm problems.

Looks like talks will start to heat up as it just hit July 1st- which team will strike first. Last year KW struck first when he nabbed Freddy underneath everyones eyes. I believe he will do it again.

A month or two ago I would have loved Wagner, however with Shingo imo back we really don't need a bullpen arm. I'd rather not trade for a guy like Wagner and go for a starting pitcher ala Schmidt or Burnett a top of the rotation guy in other words. Obviously if the sox really want schmidt that bad then our scouts were impressed with what they saw and think he can return back to his previous form and I think I'd be inclined to trust them.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
You would have taken anything for Everett in the beginning of the season even though we knew that Frank would miss a month or two and we needed a DH? :huh:

Yes, IMO at the time he was a luxury that we could ill afford and his salary could have been spent better in other places(salaries of Carl + El Duque = Clement) and there were cheaper options for a 2 month DH rental. He also has a history of having 2 bad/mediocre seasons for one good season and this one trended as one of his bad/mediocre ones(so much for trends). However, now he is not just a luxury but a neccessity and if we didn't have Carl Everett we'd be looking to trade for a Carl Everett. I sure am glad I was wrong on this one.

Yes, IMO at the time he was a luxury that we could ill afford and his salary could have been spent better in other places(salaries of Carl + El Duque = Clement) and there were cheaper options for a 2 month DH rental. He also has a history of having 2 bad/mediocre seasons for one good season and this one trended as one of his bad/mediocre ones(so much for trends). However, now he is not just a luxury but a neccessity and if we didn't have Carl Everett we'd be looking to trade for a Carl Everett. I sure am glad I was wrong on this one.

Carl earned his contract for what he did to the Twins earlier in the season. He absolutely crushed them.

I don't think any possition player will be moved. If KW trades anyone- it will be minor league talent or a bullpen arm to aqcuire a starting pitcher.

After the AS break- we aqcuire a starting pitcher (Schmidt) for BMAC and a couple of other minor leaguers. El-duque moves to the the pen, Marte comes back- Walker sent back down, Timo gets released, and we will have 7 arms in the pen not 6, while Willie, Carl, Widger, and Ozuna will be the 4 remaining bench players. That is what will happen IMO.

Our rotation is already set to have an ACE to go after Buerhle as BMAC is pitching behind Buerhle right now.

Here is what it will look like:

Garland

Buerhle

Schmidt

Garcia

Contreras

(El-duque = spot starter- kind of like Rusch's role with the Cubs)

What do you guys think?

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
I don't think any possition player will be moved. If KW trades anyone- it will be minor league talent or a bullpen arm to aqcuire a starting pitcher.

After the AS break- we aqcuire a starting pitcher (Schmidt) for BMAC and a couple of other minor leaguers.  El-duque moves to the the pen, Marte comes back- Walker sent back down, Timo gets released, and we will have 7 arms in the pen not 6, while Willie, Carl, Widger, and Ozuna will be the 4 remaining bench players. That is what will happen IMO.

Our rotation is already set to have an ACE to go after Buerhle as BMAC is pitching behind Buerhle right now.

Here is what it will look like:

Garland

Buerhle

Schmidt

Garcia

Contreras

(El-duque = spot starter- kind of like Rusch's role with the Cubs)

What do you guys think?

BMac would be my one untouchable in the organization. Ozzie compares him to Blackjack McDowell, which seems a tad premature, but I think it is possible. The kid pitched a tremendous debut game and likely would have won if Ozzie didn't yank him or put in Vizcaino to replace him. Then, after catching a breather, which he needed, he came back the other day to pitch a very good game against the Tigers. No walks, 5 Ks. At his young age, he can already control his pitches and throw strikes. That is something it has taken Jon Garland eons to do.

If the Sox want Schmidt, and I believe they do, they have to convince SF to take Jose Contreras in return. SF doesn't want phenoms anyway, as they want to be ready to go next year if BB returns. Contreras gives them a slightly cheaper and healthy pitcher who can eat innings and will likely do well in their ballpark. Of course the Sox would have to give them some carrots to sweeten the deal. My vote would be Brian Anderson and maybe Jeff Bajenaru.

Of course, I also think we should try and swap shortstops with them to give us better offensive balance without hurting our defense. And if they threw in Vizquel for Uribe, I'd be willing to add their choice among Gload/Munoz/Diaz/Borchard.

I think Schmidt is still the most likely quality starter that we could pick up because we have what SF is looking for. AJ Burnett might be a better pitcher, but can we afford to sign him after the season?

We should also be trying to keep Schmidt away from Boston, as they are the AL team that scares me the most in the postseason.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
I don't know, it seems like a typical Cubune Sox story, fan the flames of descent and ruin in the headline and 1st paragraph and only after reading the whole thing do you get to the heart of the matter. Do the Mets own the Inquirer or vise versa?

It's the Philadelphia Inquirer. I get your point though. But with expectations always high in PHI, and Wagner not having helped them win [through no fault of his own] I could see fans turning on him even though what he said is the truth.

Fans will look for a scapegoat. And Billy may have given them one.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
All this Uribe for Vizquel talk has to be put back in its original context, that of one component in a larger trade for Schmidt. In that context there's alot of merit to the idea.

Thank you. That is exactly right.

To Rowand 44, Kalapse, Zoomslowik, and CWSGuy406, all of whom trash Vizquel, I ask, how would you improve the Sox' offense via a trade at this point?

These positions are set: LF (Pods/Everett), CF (Rowand), RF (Dye 2year deal/Everett), C (Pierzynski/Widger), 1B (Konerko), 2B (Iguchi), and DH (Thomas/Everett).

There are only 2 positions on the field where the Sox could possibly improve this year via trade: SS and 3B.

Now if you compare who is really hurting us offensively, the answer is Uribe. His .279 OBP (.238 against righties) is 3rd worst among major league SS, and his .381 SLG doesn't compensate to rank him much higher. (Omar Vizquel is 5th at .366 OBP.) Uribe has had no good months. And his current numbers are like 2 out of his last 3 years, when he also finished the season with an OBP below .300, so I'm not expecting a quick return to 2004 form.

By comparison, Crede's .301 OBP isn't that much better, but he has 11 HRs for a .424 SLG, and he slugs as well against righties as he does lefties. Plus Crede has had two decent to good months - April and June. It was May that killed his numbers.

So who's available that could be had to improve these positions?

At 3B, there is one guy available. Joe Randa. (Drop the Eric Chavez fantasy.) But why go after Randa and give up on Crede? Randa is a 3-month guy. Crede is around for a couple more years if we want him. Crede's also home grown, which I think has some value for team chemistry. Randa's a mercenary at this point. Plus there is the defensive difference.

At SS, Omar Vizquel likely would be available if we surrendered Uribe in the deal. They both have 3 year contracts. The only other guy that I've seen mentioned in Julio Lugo, but he's not signed, is a right hander, and he makes a lot of errors.

What Vizquel brings to the table are so many of the things Uribe lacks. First, he hits best from the left hand side, so he makes a natural pairing with Ozuna who hits lefties much better than right handers. Second, his OBP against righties is over .400, so he is making an out against right handed pitchers far, far less often. Third, he is said to have the highest fielding percentage of any SS in history, so you can't claim his defense would hurt us. I'm not claiming Vizquel is a savior, but packaged with Jason Schmidt, he would give us a guy who can get on at the bottom of the order and another left handed bat, which we have in short supply. Plus he's not costing us much more than Uribe, so he fits right in with our salary structure.

I just don't see many other viable options this year. If you want to criticize this, fine. Just come up with an alternative that makes more sense and make your case.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
A month or two ago I would have loved Wagner, however with Shingo imo back we really don't need a bullpen arm.  I'd rather not trade for a guy like Wagner and go for a starting pitcher ala Schmidt or Burnett a top of the rotation guy in other words.  Obviously if the sox really want schmidt that bad then our scouts were impressed with what they saw and think he can return back to his previous form and I think I'd be inclined to trust them.

I think the sox will go after the best available pitcher, either a bullpen arm or SP. Wagner would certainly qualify as the best reliever who could be available. But the prices being talked about for Schmidt seems way out of whack. Burnett's price isn't really known.

Guest JimH
At SS, Omar Vizquel likely would be available if we surrendered Uribe in the deal.  They both have 3 year contracts.  The only other guy that I've seen mentioned in Julio Lugo, but he's not signed, is a right hander, and he makes a lot of errors.

What Vizquel brings to the table are so many of the things Uribe lacks.  First, he hits best from the left hand side, so he makes a natural pairing with Ozuna who hits lefties much better than right handers.  Second, his OBP against righties is over .400, so he is making an out against right handed pitchers far, far less often.  Third, he is said to have the highest fielding percentage of any SS in history, so you can't claim his defense would hurt us.  I'm not claiming Vizquel is a savior, but packaged with Jason Schmidt, he would give us a guy who can get on at the bottom of the order and another left handed bat, which we have in short supply.  Plus he's not costing us much more than Uribe, so he fits right in with our salary structure. 

I just don't see many other viable options this year.  If you want to criticize this, fine.  Just come up with an alternative that makes more sense and make your case.

Here's an alternative that makes sense, they aren't going to trade Juan Uribe in order to bring in Omar Vizquel, part of a larger deal or no.

I have watched you post this same scenario for the last few days, and am not certain why you're not getting what KW and Guillen have been consistently saying ... they value the chemistry on this team and don't want to screw it up.

It is well and good to play fantasy GM and look at one guy's numbers and say he'd be an offensive improvement, let's do it. It doesn't work that way though.

If the White Sox weren't willing to take on a guaranteed 3rd year for Vizquel before the season, they aren't going to do it now. Of course I am not sitting in the war room nor do I have a crystal ball but they keep saying they don't want to mess with the team chemistry and yet every day here is another trade idea that disrupts the team chemistry. I don't care if Vizquel is a good locker room guy or not, the point is moot, it changes the chemistry.

If there's a trade, IMO the Sox will part with prospects.

rumors:

Dodgers GM Paul DePodesta is believed to have targeted Adam Dunn, the Cincinnati Red outfielder-first baseman. However, Red General Manager Dan O'Brien and interim Manager Jerry Narron want to wait until after the All-Star break before unloading players. Dunn, 25, is fourth in the league with 20 home runs and is batting .243 with a .384 on-base percentage. He hit 46 homers last season and is a relative bargain. He avoided arbitration by signing a one-year, $4.6-million contract and will be arbitration eligible next year too. Other available players who fit Dodger needs and McCourt's budget include outfielders Aubrey Huff of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Carl Everett of the Chicago White Sox.

Edited by kyyle23

Guest JimH
Everett for Lowe?

Sigh.

It won't happen. Does anyone really think the White Sox will trade a dangerous bat like Carl Everett, not to mention they are in 1st place by a lot and they love the clubhouse chemistry?

And just for grins, Derek Lowe has a huge contract and is represented by Scott Boras?

The LA writer is picking up on old info and talking out of his ass.