The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
Thing is we cannot pick and choose when players are good. If that was the case we could take away vizcaino's four worst outings and he would look solid. I never really understand the why people say "" you take away that game he gave up 11 runs he would have a really nice era''. Well guess what? He did give up those 11 runs and his era doesn't look so pretty.

The thing is, that's only 1 bad month out of 3. What about Paul Konerko? He had 2 bad months, and yet people would say he still has pretty good numbers (since he's been hitting for power).

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
Thing is we cannot pick and choose when players are good. If that was the case we could take away vizcaino's four worst outings and he would look solid. I never really understand the why people say "" you take away that game he gave up 11 runs he would have a really nice era''. Well guess what? He did give up those 11 runs and his era doesn't look so pretty.

that's because the numbers are deceiving. for example, Trevor Hoffman's ERA this year is 3.95, but he gave up 4 runs in his first outing. with the few innings that relivers pitch, one outing can really make them look like they're having a bad year, but Hoffman's ERA had he not pitched that game is 2.70. he's been his usual self besides that game, which is why they say that.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
The thing is, that's only 1 bad month out of 3. What about Paul Konerko? He had 2 bad months, and yet people would say he still has pretty good numbers (since he's been hitting for power).

It's not o.k. for a player two take a couple months off of the season... if they do suck for any good amount of time it should be acknowledged. I bet you konerko could hit .219 all season and people would still love him if he hit 40 homers while making 8.75 million to do so.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
Listening to Ed Farmer before the start of the game, he said he believed the astros would put Roy Oswalt on the market. They certainly need help in a lot of spots. Brian Anderson would have to look good for them

Maybe Farmer was giving us a hint that the Sox have been talking to Houston about Oswalt

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
that's because the numbers are deceiving.  for example, Trevor Hoffman's ERA this year is 3.95, but he gave up 4 runs in his first outing.  with the few innings that relivers pitch, one outing can really make them look like they're having a bad year, but Hoffman's ERA had he not pitched that game is 2.70.  he's been his usual self besides that game, which is why they say that.

Relievers era are the most decieiving. Not starting ptichers or batters.

Konerko hit .218 in april and .228 in may. Yet he has a great june and people are slurrrrrrping him. Konerko is the definition of one dimensional and needs to say his good byes at the end of the season.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
that's because the numbers are deceiving.  for example, Trevor Hoffman's ERA this year is 3.95, but he gave up 4 runs in his first outing.  with the few innings that relivers pitch, one outing can really make them look like they're having a bad year, but Hoffman's ERA had he not pitched that game is 2.70.  he's been his usual self besides that game, which is why they say that.

Didn't we beat Hoffman?

In terms of guys like Konerko, Crede, etc., I'm willing to live with them having 1 terrible month a year, as long as the numbers they end the season with are good numbers.

I wouldn't have a problem seeing Konerko re-signed if the rest of the year is close to his June. I.e. if he ended up the season hitting .280 or .290 with another 40 home runs, and maybe got his BA with RISP up past .260 or so.

The same thing with Crede - he had an awful May, but without that month he'd be hitting like .290. If he puts up a .280 BA for the whole season, I could care less how bad he did in May because that means he contributed the rest of the year.

Even if you have a lot of streaky players, the odds are that they all won't go into slumps at once, and you can end up being carried by the ones who aren't, like how Iguchi and Pods carried the offense in May.

Rumors are that the White Sox are willing to deal Brandon McCarthy and a player to be named later for Florida's A.J. Burnett. The flame-throwing young talent in Florida could be a good fit in the Chi-town. But, I'm still not thrilled on giving away BMac.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
Rumors are that the White Sox are willing to deal Brandon McCarthy and a player to be named later for Florida's A.J. Burnett. The flame-throwing young talent in Florida could be a good fit in the Chi-town. But, I'm still not thrilled on giving away BMac.

Wow. Youy are SOOOOOOOO late it's not even funny. Do you see that thread up-top that says "ALL ENCOMPASSING TRADE THREAD"? Newbies.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)

You heard this rumor where?

Only McCarthy and a PTBNL? I call BS. That wouldn't be enough to get Burnett.

I just took a look at the Sporting News I just got in the mail. Commenting on the Giants, they (pretty sure it's Ken Rosenthal) stated that they will not jepordize their team for next season by unloading players at the deadline. They mentioned Schmidt, but their comment was the only reason they are considering it is the potential to find a team desperate for pitching at the deadline. In other words, it's unlikely we get Schmidt and/or Vizquel unless we give up an absolute s***load of talent.

As for Chavez, I highly doubt he's getting moved at this point. They're really starting to play well, and they did commit an awful lot of money to him. Crede and B-Mac sounds a little light anyways.

Also, the Marlins are going to want major league players in exchange for Burnett since they aren't that far out of contention. I don't really think we can fill that need. B-Mac and Anderson probably aren't exactly what they have in mind.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
He'd definitely look nice in a Sox uni. My bet is that he ends up in Arizona though, revolving around a deal for Conor Jackson.

I can't see Ariz. giving up a top talent like Jackson [esp as they only have fill in Cruz, Green's getting old and expensive, and the old cub has pieces falling off him].

Houston may seen dealing Oswalt as the quickest way to get better. Petitte can veto a trade, as can Clemens. Other than that, they have little to trade. Whether a sox trade of guys like Anderson, Bmac, Rogowski and a very good bullpen arm would be worth it, who knows. But Oswalt would cost a lot of talent [even w/o knowing what his contract status is]

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
Maybe Farmer was giving us a hint that the Sox  have been talking to Houston about Oswalt

If Oswalt was on the market, I could see the sox being very interested in him.

Seeing how Burnett has only made 38 starts in the last 3 yrs, has only went 200 innings once in his career [last in '02], what teams will give up their top talent for him, as he can walk as a FA?

Bmac and a decent prospect would and should be enough for him [though IIRC FLA wants some immediate bullpen help as well as a SP]. Whether you do it, who knows. If he continued pitching like he has been, maybe. And Ozzie must have some insights into him as he pitched a little in '03 when ozzie was over there