93 members have voted

1. 1. What pitcher should the sox get.

• Jason Schmidt (SF)
    • Ted Lilly (TOR)
    • Barry Zito (OAK)
    • Jason Jennings (COL)
    • Forget a pitcher, get Chavez!
    • No one

QUOTE(C_LEE45 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
i say if were going to give top notch prospects we should go after Roy Oswalt!!!

You could give Houston the top 4 prospects in the White Sox system, it will not be enough to get Roy Oswalt. Houston signed him to a 2 year extension this off-season, and I believe he is arbitration eligible after that meaning they control him this season + 2 more.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
You could give Houston the top 4 prospects in the White Sox system, it will not be enough to get Roy Oswalt. Houston signed him to a 2 year extension this off-season, and I believe he is arbitration eligible after that meaning they control him this season + 2 more.

I think all the names being thrown around will cost way too much. I'm not saying it's justified, just that the asking price will be high. Especially for us, they know we can almost taste it.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
Jose has the tools.  Anyone that would question that is foolish.  A 95 mph fastball with a knee buckling forkball.  The problem is that Jose for whatever mental reason does not want to throw his fastball the minute someone hits it.  People are going to hit a fastball no matter how good it is.  You still have to challenge the hitters.  Jose for the last month and for the majority of his career has crawled into his shell the minute someone turns on his fastball.  Then he starts to shake off hitters.  He was once demoted in the Yanks organization all the way back to single A so he could work on his confidence and not to tip pitches with Billy Connors.  This is a problem that keeps reoccuring.  Its pretty sad, if anyone else had this amount of raw talent they would be dominating the league.  However for whatever mental block Conteras will be this up and down pitcher until he comes over this fear of using his good stuff.  We have seen when he dominates he doesnt shake off pitches, works a bit faster and just throws what is put up there.  When he is bad, he shakes off everything, and wants to throw his forkball only.  Then he walks, hits people or gets into hitters counts and puts himself into real danger. 

Everyone is counting on the 3 man rotation in the playoffs. How many teams use a three man rotation throughout the playoffs. Yes for the first series you can do that.  But in the ALCS you will need 4 starters. 

I think even throwing 92-94 Jason Schmidt is a better fit for the whitesox for this year and challenging in the playoffs.  He throws strikes and will let this defense that sits behind him make plays.  He will not walk the world and get completely lost. 

I dont want to give up BMAC though, he is insurance this year and for next.  If we cant give up Conteras and another prospect for Schmidt I would do it in a second. 

I however would probably rather have AJ Burnett if it is just going to be a rental.

I don't think KW will deal Contreras and BMac in the same deal. That would defeat much of the purpose of trading for Schmidt. If trading Contreras saves us BMac, then trade away. If not, then pass and move along to another option. But let's all hope BMac starts dominating with pin point control, and we wont have to worry about any of this.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
I'm not sure how that is that much different from the Crede, Anderson, good prospect trade I proposed.

I talked with an D-backs scout they asked Houston about Oswalt and 2 ML and 2+ Prospects (D'Antona, Quentin) and this took place before the Astro's started winning a little more

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)

Of course we have no chance to get Oswalt, but the spirit of his post is on the money. If you want to trade your farm system, do so for a quality top notch pitcher, not damaged goods.

As for the strikeouts, in cubbie/kerry wood parlance, strikeouts by themselves offer probative value.

Edited by GreenSox

Jeckle you obviously dont know much about Schmidt if you are this much against him, the guy is a total stud and is just having a slow start, but b4 his last outing he had like 3 pretty dominating starts in a row I think it was like 21-24 innings only giving up 3 runs.....

Contreras has been better than expected but as of late he has been very bad and for sure he is not a playoff pitcher. Schmidt on the other hand is a proven veteran and not only a playoff pitcher but a playoff ace. You worry about the future so much but i never see you on the future sox board I think you are overating some of our prospects.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
Jeckle you obviously dont know much about Schmidt if you are this much against him, the guy is a total stud and is just having a slow start, but b4 his last outing he had like 3 pretty dominating starts in a row I think it was like 21-24 innings only giving up 3 runs.....

How do you know that he's "just having a slow start"?

Wasn't he recently injured?

How many "stud" years as he had in his career?

Why should we pay a Johnson/Schilling price for Jason Schmidt?

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
How do you know that he's "just having a slow start"?

Wasn't he recently injured?

How many "stud" years as he had in his career?

Why should we pay a Johnson/Schilling price for Jason Schmidt?

It wont cost a Johnson/Schilling price.... those 2 guys would of involved Garland and for Schmidt we are only losing prospects.... and prospects are just that, prospects.