Uncle Lou gonna try something different

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 07:33 AM)
He wanted to "go home".  He got what he asked for.

I agree with you for the most part. His paychecks are clearing, and he could have gone and managed wherever he wanted. He chose Tampa. The only thing I feel was unfair was he was told spending would be increasing, not decreasing. They have a $29 million payroll. If the ownership had been straight with him when they brought him on he may not have gone there. He's a good manager who is very competitive and at his wit's end with all the losing. Tampa Bay is a terrible franchise, and probably always will be until they are moved. I wonder if JR and company actually did move to Tampa back in the day if their fate would have been any better.

Good call on The Numbers Game.

Actually, the whole starting RP idea isnt as crazy as it sounds, however, it would make more sense in the NL.

You kind of need to have relievers that actually relieve though.

If the Angels or Twins (or even the Nats) ever tried this, it could cause headaches until everyone adjusted.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
I wonder if JR and company actually did move to Tampa back in the day if their fate would have been any better.

I think it would have been similar, but there is no way that JR would have approved that mad spending period in the late 90's that brought the D-Rays such prozed prospects as Juan Guzman, Greg Vaughn, Wilson Alvarez, Jose Canseco, and Vinny Castilla. When Lamarr attempted to buy a championship with these old and fragile pieces, he should have been fired on results alone. Somehow he keeps his job and continues to make bad franchise decisions.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
I cant believe that article called him a bad manager.... In my opinion there are 3 managers that are >>>>> than the rest... Loue Piniella, Frank Robinson, and Bobby Cox..... the other 27 managers couldnt hold their jock straps when it comes to managing.

I don't understand all the love for Frank Robinson. I'm sure he's a great guy, but what the hell has he done as a manager?

And the Sox have a habit of scoring early, so I like the idea of having one of TB's s***bag relievers in there early.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 05:09 AM)
I think he's a top 5 manager. Why not try something new? It's gotta be frustrating having such a bad pen. Don Nelsonesque.

Lou P wants to win even if it a loopy idea to try. :D But, then again there have been other things done out of the box. I believe that in 1967 Eddie Stanky batted pitcher Gary Peters in the 6th spot at least once and used him as a pinch hitter beecasue The Brat said Peters could hit better than most of his regulars.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
Lou P wants to win even if it a loopy idea to try. :D But, then again there have been other things done out of the box. I believe that in 1967 Eddie Stanky batted pitcher Gary Peters in the 6th spot at least once and used him as a pinch hitter beecasue The Brat said Peters could hit better than most of his regulars.

He was right, too.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
I like this idea as long as he doesn't use all his relievers and run out. I mean what happens in an extra inning game?

i believe he would be screwed if he ended up in an extra inning game

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
Sounds like Uncle Lou is trying to get himself fired from Tampa...

He's gotta be pissed. He got told that payroll would go up consistently so they would have a chance to compete in the division. They've become a joke of the league and forced to hire really young players and players that are past their prime. I can't wait to see what happens if he keeps this sort of stuff up.