TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
You're still making one huge gamble in saying Ken Griffey Jr. will remain healthy for an entire season and able to continue playing CF at a high level.  A massive one.

He is a defensive downgrade, too much money, and we wont do it. Doesnt matter anyway.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
Griffey is not broken down anymore and he has stayed healthy all year. He would be a great acquisition as we need lefthanded power. Rowand is good defensively, not great. he still gets a lot of bad jumps. I am by no means saying he is a bad CFer, just saying he is not great. He may be better suited for the corner OF positions. Griffey is much better than him defensively, no doubt about it.

:o OMFG!!!!!! Stop living in the past man. Griffey is not with the Mariners anymore! You have got to be kidding me. I gotta agree with RockRaines on this one. :chair

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
:o OMFG!!!!!! Stop living in the past man. Griffey is not with the Mariners anymore! You have got to be kidding me. I gotta agree with RockRaines on this one. :chair

Not to be a jerk Soxfan, but do you have any first hand recollection of when Griffey was even on the Mariners? You are 15, correct? That would make you 9 or 10 when he was on the Mariners.

PS, look at Griffey's stats this year, he may not be the Griffey of old, but when heatlhy, he's outperforming anything in our outfield.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/co...nt/ladewski.htm

Schmidt, Omar, & Griffey. Addresses all of our weaknesses when you consider Contra/El Duque can compete for who starts & who is long relief.

The total $ cost in 2005 to acquire all 3 would be about $8M.

With these 3 guys you don't worry about future cost because their value on the open market exceeds the value of their contracts. Let's say you get swept in the first round.

If you don't want to keep them around there will be plenty of buyers willing to take them off your hands. With Schmidt it will cost you $3.5M to say sayonara.

Talent wise what they like in our bench & no less than Sweeney & Gonzo in the ml's. You have to be realistic. When Cincy & SFG scour our ml's for players they need they are going to lock in on these two. KW is not good at getting teams to take less than what they want.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)

Schmidt, Omar, & Griffey.  Addresses all of our weaknesses when you consider Contra/El Duque can compete for who starts & who is long relief.

Talent wise what they like in our bench & no less than Sweeney & Gonzo in the ml's.  You have to be realistic.  When Cincy & SFG scour our ml's for players they need they are going to lock in on these two.  KW is not good at getting teams to take less than what they want.

:chair it...won't...happen

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
Not to be a jerk Soxfan, but do you have any first hand recollection of when Griffey was even on the Mariners?  You are 15, correct?  That would make you 9 or 10 when he was on the Mariners.

PS, look at Griffey's stats this year, he may not be the Griffey of old, but when heatlhy, he's outperforming anything in our outfield.

Uuum, yes. I have been following baseball since age 6 or 7. I remember Griffey, ARod, and RJ on the M's. Your welcome very much. Age is nothing but a number and is highly overrated. If you would like to question my knowledge because of my age, dont. :D

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
Not to be a jerk Soxfan, but do you have any first hand recollection of when Griffey was even on the Mariners?  You are 15, correct?  That would make you 9 or 10 when he was on the Mariners.

I do, and he is still a defensive downgrade and a Juan-gone waiting to happen. He is paid more than he is worth, which is not in the cards for us.

Juggernaut, from a depth standpoint, sure it is better to have backups who have been starters. But that approach cannot easily be applied to a team that cuts cost corners as much as the Chicago White Sox. Moreover, for guys like Aaron Rowand and Juan Uribe, turning them into bench role players is only a formula for dissension. These guys are young and are playing for the free agent payday they expect to achieve in a few years. If you relegate them to the bench, you've essentially given them a very significant future pay cut, and no competitive young ball player is going be happy about that.

Again, I'm all for Vizquel, but I think "Mr. Potato Chip Cracky Bones," as someone called him, is not the answer in CF.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)

Schmidt, Omar, & Griffey.  Addresses all of our weaknesses when you consider Contra/El Duque can compete for who starts & who is long relief.

With these 3 guys you don't worry about future cost because their value on the open market exceeds the value of their contracts.  Let's say you get swept in the first round.

If you don't want to keep them around there will be plenty of buyers willing to take them off your hands.  With Schmidt it will cost you $3.5M to say sayonara. 

Talent wise what they like in our bench & no less than Sweeney & Gonzo in the ml's.  You have to be realistic.  When Cincy & SFG scour our ml's for players they need they are going to lock in on these two.  KW is not good at getting teams to take less than what they want.

There are alot of players that would address our weaknesses, and there are others that are more likely to be on the sox. Not gonna happen. Jr will NEVER be on the WHITE SOX

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Uuum, yes. I have been following baseball since age 6 or 7. I remember Griffey, ARod, and RJ on the M's. Your welcome very much. Age is nothing but a number and is highly overrated. If you would like to question my knowledge because of my age, dont. :D

Questioning whether you have any first hand knowledge, as opposed to knowledge are two different things. Seeing Michael Jordan play while it is happening is different than seeing highlights of slam dunks. That's the same thing as seeing Junior Griffey change the game with his defense/offense as opposed to seeing a highlight of some homeruns.

PS I just don't know too many 6 year olds who are that up on the game, let alone can talk about it. I don't doubt your baseball knowledge as a 15 year old, but as a 9 year old, its questionable...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
There are alot of players that would address our weaknesses, and there are others that are more likely to be on the sox.  Not gonna happen.  Jr will NEVER be on the WHITE SOX

Thank you. A breath of fresh air. Junior would make a lot more sense on the Yankees with their huge hole in CF and their huge pockets.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
Questioning whether you have any first hand knowledge, as opposed to knowledge are two different things.  Seeing Michael Jordan play while it is happening is different than seeing highlights of slam dunks.  That's the same thing as seeing Junior Griffey change the game with his defense/offense as opposed to seeing a highlight of some homeruns.

PS I just don't know too many 6 year olds who are that up on the game, let alone can talk about it.  I don't doubt your baseball knowledge as a 15 year old, but as a 9 year old, its questionable...

I appreciate your concern lol but when I was young, I would have very serious conversation with other people about sports. I understand where your coming from though. And yes, I say MJ play to and have strong recollection of him as well. :lol:

PS- I'll be 16 in a month.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
I appreciate your concern lol but when I was young, I would have very serious conversation with other people about sports. I understand where your coming from though. And yes, I say MJ play to and have strong recollection of him as well.  :lol:

PS- I'll be 16 in a month.

You are the exception to the rule. I apologize for questioning your baseball knowledge at the age of 9, it just seemed from your comment you didn't remember how much of a factor Junior can be in the outcome of a game. Keep on truckin' and go Sox.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
Griffey is not broken down anymore and he has stayed healthy all year. He would be a great acquisition as we need lefthanded power. Rowand is good defensively, not great. he still gets a lot of bad jumps. I am by no means saying he is a bad CFer, just saying he is not great. He may be better suited for the corner OF positions. Griffey is much better than him defensively, no doubt about it.

\

Why no green?? At this point Rowand>>>>>>>>>Griffey Defensively. Griffey wasn't broken down last year until right after the allstar break.

Looking at his stats, its funny... Though his HR pace is not as it used to be (on pace for 31 homeruns) Griffey is batting better than he did in his final two years in Seattle (.287 vs. .284/.286) When healthy, Griffey is still on of the best players in the game.

disclaimer- i know griffey will never be on the White Sox.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
You are the exception to the rule.  I apologize for questioning your baseball knowledge at the age of 9, it just seemed from your comment you didn't remember how much of a factor Junior can be in the outcome of a game.  Keep on truckin' and go Sox.

Oh, no. I totally understand. Shoot, if I was older I would question a 15 year old too. But seriously, Girffey is part his prime. Yes, he is still a great player and could improve the team but for someone to say that he is better defensively that Aaron....come on? Sure, maybe in 1998 yes, but now, no. He is 35 or 36 right now and IMO, he wont have any Bonds type seasons to end his career. Now, on the part of hitting against RHP, he is an upgrade over Aaron but to me, it isn;t worth the defensive downgrade. Actually, he bats .287 vs LHP and RHP so TIFWIW.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
Oh, no. I totally understand. Shoot, if I was older I would question a 15 year old too. But seriously, Girffey is part his prime. Yes, he is still a great player and could improve the team but for someone to say that he is better defensively that Aaron....come on? Sure, maybe in 1998 yes, but now, no. He is 35 or 36 right now and IMO, he wont have any Bonds type seasons to end his career. Now, on the part of hitting against RHP, he is an upgrade over Aaron but to me, it isn;t worth the defensive downgrade. Actually, he bats .287 vs LHP and RHP so TIFWIW.

just to make sure you understand, i wasnt even questioning your knowledge at 15, ive read your posts. i was questioning it as a 9 year old.

Juggernaut, from a depth standpoint, sure it is better to have backups who have been starters.  But that approach cannot easily be applied to a team that cuts cost corners as much as the Chicago White Sox.  Moreover, for guys like Aaron Rowand and Juan Uribe, turning them into bench role players is only a formula for dissension.  These guys are young and are playing for the free agent payday they expect to achieve in a few years.  If you relegate them to the bench, you've essentially given them a very significant future pay cut, and no competitive young ball player is going be happy about that. 

Again, I'm all for Vizquel, but I think "Mr. Potato Chip Cracky Bones," as someone called him, is not the answer in CF.

I think both Rowand & Uribe are the type of players that are just happy to be on the team. They know with Ozzie they will get more playing time than on any other contending team.

Griffey in particular is the kind of contract GM's salivate over:

Signed in 2000, Griffey was paid $7M for 2001, & $6M from 2002-2009. Everything else in the contract is deferred ($57.5M that doesn't begin to earn interest until 2009).

There are no penalties if he is traded but Griffey has an iron-clad 100% no-trade clause. He's said he will veto any trade but so did McGriff years ago. The media pressure usually gets to you & you cave in. Why? Because not doing so makes you look like you could care less about winning.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
just to make sure you understand, i wasnt even questioning your knowledge at 15, ive read your posts.  i was questioning it as a 9 year old.

Oh. Well, I can assure you I wasn't saying s*** like "Go James Baldwin!" so I am pretty sure that I can trust my past. I wasn' a dumbass and I am pretty sure the only Sox player I hated was Jaime Navarro so I'm all good lol. :lol:

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
I think both Rowand & Uribe are the type of players that are just happy to be on the team.  They know with Ozzie they will get more playing time than on any other contending team.

Griffey in particular is the kind of contract GM's salivate over:

Signed in 2000, Griffey was paid $7M for 2001, & $6M from 2002-2009.  Everything else in the contract is deferred ($57.5M that doesn't begin to earn interest until 2009).

There are no penalties if he is traded but Griffey has an iron-clad 100% no-trade clause.  He's said he will veto any trade but so did McGriff years ago.  The media pressure usually gets to you & you cave in.  Why?  Because not doing so makes you look like you could care less about winning.

So, you are saying.......wait, his contract doesnt matter because it wont happen. Bark up a different tree.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
Why no green??  At this point Rowand>>>>>>>>>Griffey Defensively.  Griffey wasn't broken down last year until right after the allstar break.

Now that should be in green. Rowand is far below Griffey in defense. Griffey is very very smooth in CF now or during any point in his career. Like I said Aaron is good, but no where near Griff Jr.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)

Just because he is not 6 years younger does not mean he is a downgrade defensively to Aaron Rowand. That is just a ridiculous statement. I like Aaron Rowand and all, but come on, lets not be too much of a homer here. Jr. is one of the best defense OFs of all time.

I remember how everyone was saying last year that Andruw Jones is no longer that good defensively and he is worse than Rowand defensively. s***, he is still better than Rowand too, bad knees and all. You guys are overrating a Rowand a ton defensively. He is not even in the same category of Jr and Andruw Jones.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
Just because he is not 6 years younger does not mean he is a downgrade defensively to Aaron Rowand. That is just a ridiculous statement. I like Aaron Rowand and all, but come on, lets not be too much of a homer here. Jr. is one of the best defense OFs of all time.

I remember how everyone was saying last year that Andruw Jones is no longer that good defensively and he is worse than Rowand defensively. s***, he is still better than Rowand too, bad knees and all. You guys are overrating a Rowand a ton defensively. He is not even in the same category of Jr and Andruw Jones.

You must be kidding me. Girffey is 35/36 and past him prime. He is not as fast as Rowand in CF and he is always a threat to pull a hammy or break something running for a flyball.