GAME THREAD 7-19-05 SOX vs Tigers

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
It seems to me that JC is a guy who doesn't pitch as well in close games. We need to find a way to get this guy early leads. Unfortunately this team has been unable to do that. Hence a 5-5 mark for JC

I call it irony. The guys sucks all of last year, having offenses carry him to a winning record. This year he pitches well for the most part, and he can't win. Things just even out.

The closer the game for Contreras, the more he tries to be perfect and not let the hitter beat him. Thus, it equates to more walks, and more hanging forkballs. Contreras is better when he just pitches, and throws whatever he wants.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
DJ said before the game that Contreras is something like 22-2 in his career when his team scores 3 runs for him.

That is unreal. Just unreal. WTF is wrong with our guys when Jose is out there.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:14 PM)
I call it irony.  The guys sucks all of last year, having offenses carry him to a winning record.  This year he pitches well for the most part, and he can't win.  Things just even out.

Well, IMO, JC is a 5th starter right now, problem is we already have El Duque for that. JC should be kissing Garland's ass everyday, for helping cover up his inability to get W's.

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
The closer the game for Contreras, the more he tries to be perfect and not let the hitter beat him.  Thus, it equates to more walks, and more hanging forkballs.  Contreras is better when he just pitches, and throws whatever he wants.

I don't know. Considering he had an ERA under 4 this game (which should still be under 4), and the fact that we score ZERO runs for the guy for the most part, I'd say he's pitched pretty well in one run games.

His wins are 2-1, 5-3, 2-1, 7-2, and 1-0. The ONLY way he's been able to get runs is to completely shut down the other team for the most part.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)
Was he trying to homer his first AB, too?

I can't speak for Frank, all I know is I saw a batter who went out of his way to pull an offspeed pitch that was well outside. The biggest irony is that it was the perfect time for him to just hit a fly ball. I know Frank has contributed some big homers this year, but if he was a video game player, his power would be top notch, but hit hitting ability would be below average.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
Well, IMO, JC is a 5th starter right now, problem is we already have El Duque for that. JC should be kissing Garland's ass everyday, for helping cover up his inability to get W's.

You're kidding right. If Jose had the run support that Garland has gotten this year he'd have double digit wins easily.

The guy has given up 2 ER or less in 11 of his 18 starts this year. THat's incredible.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
I don't know. Considering he had an ERA under 4 this game (which should still be under 4), and the fact that we score ZERO runs for the guy for the most part, I'd say he's pitched pretty well in one run games.

His wins are 2-1, 5-3, 2-1, 7-2, and 1-0. The ONLY way he's been able to get runs is to completely shut down the other team for the most part.

Problem is he always seems to make that 1 mistake that costs him the W, call it bad luck or whatever, either way, he doesn't get W's.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:21 AM)
I can't speak for Frank, all I know is I saw a batter who went out of his way to pull an offspeed pitch that was well outside.  The biggest irony is that it was the perfect time for him to just hit a fly ball.  I know Frank has contributed some big homers this year, but if he was a video game player, his power would be top notch, but hit hitting ability would be below average.

Well, I see a guy who's not really comfortable at the plate right now, and that certainly was not his homerun swing. Maybe I'm seeing crazy things, but that swing is the one where he basically throws the bat at the ball hoping that he can line it somewhere, but definitely not his homerun swing. His backside just totally dropped out...

Alright, I'm out. Let's get some runs!

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
Well, I see a guy who's not really comfortable at the plate right now, and that certainly was not his homerun swing.  Maybe I'm seeing crazy things, but that swing is the one where he basically throws the bat at the ball hoping that he can line it somewhere, but definitely not his homerun swing.  His backside just totally dropped out...

You're right, he's definitely not comfortable at the plate. Hopefully he snaps out of it, we have some tough games coming up.

Jose has now retired 10 in a row since the home run. He's thrown 70 pitches, 51 for strikes. He has not walked a batter. At this rate, he'll pitch at least 7, if not 8 innings.

This is the line of a pitcher who deserves to get a win. Come on guys.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
Problem is he always seems to make that 1 mistake that costs him the W, call it bad luck or whatever, either way, he doesn't get W's.

Yes. That bad mistake is pitching on the days our offense sucks.

He has given up more than 4 runs in only 2 of 18 starts.

He has given up more than 3 runs in only 6 of 18 starts.

It just always seems worse than it is because he works slow and walks a bunch of people.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
You're kidding right. If Jose had the run support that Garland has gotten this year he'd have double digit wins easily.

The guy has given up 2 ER or less in 11 of his 18 starts this year. THat's incredible.

His record indicates he is a 5th starter. He obvioulsy has #1 starter stuff, but for some reason he doesn't get the W's. Similar to Wood on the Cruds.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
His record indicates he is a 5th starter. He obvioulsy has #1 starter stuff, but for some reason he doesn't get the W's. Similar to Wood on the Cruds.

But that's what I'm saying. A record means absolutely nothing. He gets NO run support. It's hard to win games when you offense scores no runs for you. He can't control that the offense won't score for him. You were kidding right.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)

So if a guy had an ERA say of about .5 to 1 above Contreras (say Gil Meche) but had 3 or 4 more wins, would he be more of a #3 starter than Contreras?