The Duke (eh?)

Kyyle23

Im just wondering what everyone's feel is about last nights pitching performance out of Hernandez. I felt that he was still pretty shaky, and didnt show what he needed to show in order to take the butterflies out of my stomach every time he pitches until the end of the season. Lost in the glory that was Joe Crede, Juan Uribe, Konerko and Thomas going deep was that Hernandez only went 6 innings, gave up 4 earned runs, and threw 96 pitches. I didnt expect him to go deep into the game, truth be told, but i was hoping for a little more efficiency and for El Duque to avoid the big inning.

Do you feel any better today about the 5th starter spot than you did before yesterdays game?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
Im just wondering what everyone's feel is about last nights pitching performance out of Hernandez.  I felt that he was still pretty shaky, and didnt show what he needed to show in order to take the butterflies out of my stomach every time he pitches until the end of the season.  Lost in the glory that was Joe Crede, Juan Uribe, Konerko and Thomas going deep was that Hernandez only went 6 innings, gave up 4 earned runs, and threw 96 pitches. I didnt expect him to go deep into the game, truth be told, but i was hoping for a little more efficiency and for El Duque to avoid the big inning.

Do you feel any better today about the 5th starter spot than you did before yesterdays game?

In a word ... Yes.

Pretty good for the 5th starter in his first game back if you ask me. Even the coaches were surprised he threw so well. I would like to see the stats of the pitchers in their first outing back from a stint on the DL. I would say El Duque's is above average. Especially when I see Kevin Brown last night get killed, Odalis Perez getting shelled etc

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
Good enough to stop worrying about a trade for another starter?

I think the Sox should get another starter, but not because of El Duque. We have 2.5 months of season left and one of our 5 starters could have a Halladay or Prior type incident happen. If I knew our 5 starters would be healthy all year, I'd dance with the ones that brought us.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
I think the Sox should get another starter, but not because of El Duque.  We have 2.5 months of season left and one of our 5 starters could have a Halladay or Prior type incident happen.  If I knew our 5 starters would be healthy all year, I'd dance with the ones that brought us.

The important part of your statement. Hernandez really worries me that he is going to need more "time off" in mid august.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
The important part of your statement.  Hernandez really worries me that he is going to need more "time off" in mid august.

I'm not all that concerned with August. We can muddle through if he needs a break. I'm more concerned if Mark or Jon or Freddie goes down. That's why I think we should pick up another starter.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
I'm not all that concerned with August.  We can muddle through if he needs a break.  I'm more concerned if Mark or Jon or Freddie goes down.  That's why I think we should pick up another starter.

I think this also presents a problem with acquiring a starter. What starter is going to want to come here and start only if El Duque is hurt? It really limits what Kenny can go out and do because Duque's status is always in flux. To me(and only to me, its only my opinion) Duque is really going to have to prove himself in the next month to be healthy and durable.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
I think this also presents a problem with acquiring a starter. What starter is going to want to come here and start only if El Duque is hurt?  It really limits what Kenny can go out and do because Duque's status is always in flux. To me(and only to me, its only my opinion) Duque is really going to have to prove himself in the next month to be healthy and durable.

Well, 2 or 3 days ago, Al Leiter would have accepted the position.

Seriously, just a decent veteran pitcher ... Redman, for example .... or Moyer. just someone serviceable that could step in and give you a good 5 innings if you needed it. Sure, a stud pitcher would be great, but I'm trying to be a bit more down to earth here.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
El Duque deserved to get the L last night. He got bailed out by a great relay to the plate and by an atypical offensive explosion.

Yep offensive explosions are definitely atypical for a team that is top 10 in the bigs in runs scored.

Do you know what the f*** a 5th starter is supposed to do?

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
Yep offensive explosions are definitely atypical for a team that is top 10 in the bigs in runs scored.

Do you know what the f*** a 5th starter is supposed to do?

Keep you in the game and at the end of season have a record around 500

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Well, 2 or 3 days ago, Al Leiter would have accepted the position.

Seriously, just a decent veteran pitcher ... Redman, for example .... or Moyer.  just someone serviceable that could step in and give you a good 5 innings if you needed it.  Sure, a stud pitcher would be great, but I'm trying to be a bit more down to earth here.

Redman is rumored to be heading to Florida in the 3-way Burnett to the Orioles deal.

ehem

the sox avg 4.82 runs per game.  It couldnt be THAT rare could it???

I distinctly recall somebody on the radio pointing out that it was our first 5 run inning since Game 3 vs Arizona, where we scored 10 runs in an inning.

This team puts up 2-spots, 3-spots, 1-spots, often many times in the same game. Unlike some of our pitchers, it doesn't really do "big innings", its more of a consistent attack type thing.

The thing is, when it takes 2-3 innings for you to score 5 or more times, it's harder to do that near the end of a game, because you're up against time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
Redman is rumored to be heading to Florida in the 3-way Burnett to the Orioles deal.

He was an example of the type of insurance I'm talking about. I know that there is a very good chance he'll not be available.

I was happy to see El Duque go out there and get it done, but I still think we need insurance. I no longer feel that it is necessary to get Schmidt, Zito, or Burnett, but a guy like Redman or Lilly would look fantastic on this team as insurance.