God Do I hate Band wagon Jumpers

Winnin Ugly

My wife and I went to last night game and their were about 8 guys sitting behind us all with their new Sox merchandise on.. Its great to see the Sox pick up some new fans but these guys totally sucked..

They were talking throughout the whole game some of the discussions they had were

1 They didnt know who Nellie Fox was

2 How Much better it is going to Wrigley Field over the Cell especially when the Cubs were in the playoffs.

3 Tadahito is a brutal ball player

4 Rowand is a bad OF

Im afraid guys like this will take up all the playoff&world series tickets away from the die-hard fans. I will have my tickets since I been a season ticket holder since 1988..

Edited by Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
My wife and I went to last night game and their were about 8 guys sitting behind us all with their new Sox merchandise on.. Its great to see the Sox pick up some new fans but these guys totally sucked..

They were talking throughout the whole game some of the discussions they had were

1 They didnt know who Nellie Fox was

2 How Much better it is going to Wrigley Field over the Cell especially when the Cubs were in the playoffs.

3 Tadahito was a brutal ball player

4 Rowand is a bad OF

Im afraid guys like this will take up all the playoff&world series tickets away from the die-hard fans.  I will have my tickets since I been a season ticket holder since 1988..

I had the same experience. Generally we know all the people that sit around us in our seasons, but someone knew was in the ones behind us. The guy was trying to educate his girlfriend on baseball and knew nothing about it. Here are his "insights"

1. Oakland will fail to field a baseball team next year

2. Cleveland has been dominating the central for the last 5 years.

3. They build new comiskey on top of old comiskey

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
I had the same experience.  Generally we know all the people that sit around us in our seasons, but someone knew was in the ones behind us.  The guy was trying to educate his girlfriend on baseball and knew nothing about it.  Here are his "insights"

you gotta love this s***.

i say deal with it, if they give more money to the team I love, then thank them.

we all know if we're truly fans and can truly appreciate a world championship. i personally don't care who im celebrating next to, as long as im celebrating.

My favorite ones are the people wearing cubs hats that point out how empty the stadium is. So my reply always is "So why are you here? You're helping us fill it up" at that point they stop talking and mumble swears under thier breath.

Also yesterday some kids were standing in the concourse with thier brand new shiny hats and jerseys and proceeded to ask my girl what she was doing with me...... It makes me think of the days when it really was only true fans that were at the Comiskey....

but its getting louder in there and they are making more loot so I guess I can deal with dumasses for the time being

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)

OMG... Cant stop laughing.. !! :lol:

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
Also yesterday some kids were standing in the concourse with thier brand new shiny hats and jerseys and proceeded to ask my girl what she was doing with me...... It makes me think of the days when it really was only true fans that were at the Comiskey....

Sorry, she was hot.

To once again refer to the Cliche thread ( the most useful thread in Soxtalk history ):

Be Careful What You Wish For, You Just Might Get It

To all those people who complained about attendance, especially when the Sox started winning this year, THIS is what increased attendance brings. The people who want to be "part of something" will fill the park, and also fill it with dopey comments like those listed below.

Personally, I don't mind idiots, except drunken aggressive idiots. And I never seem to get playoff tickets anyway, so I'm used to that and I don't really care who gets them.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
I had the same experience.  Generally we know all the people that sit around us in our seasons, but someone knew was in the ones behind us.  The guy was trying to educate his girlfriend on baseball and knew nothing about it.  Here are his "insights"

That is funny as s***!!! You get alot of putzs out at Diamondback games too. The top 2 most idiotic fans have to be Diamondback fans and Suns fans...mostly fair-weather fans who don't know jack s***. I actually heard a guy last year at BOB say that the Sox hadn't had a decent 3rd baseman since Ron Santo! :lolhitting

I just turned around and looked at him and shook my head.....

When Brian and I went to the Grandstand (I think that is the name of the jersey/hat/souvenir shop on 35th) in late April, there was a girl in her late teens that was with a bunch of other people in their late teens and not one of them knew who Nellie Fox was. They kept asking each other if that was one of the outfielders. All I could do was shake my head in disappointment.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
When Brian and I went to the Grandstand (I think that is the name of the jersey/hat/souvenir shop on 35th) in late April, there was a girl in her late teens that was with a bunch of other people in their late teens and not one of them knew who Nellie Fox was.  They kept asking each other if that was one of the outfielders.  All I could do was shake my head in disappointment.

Why should a couple of teenage girls know who Nellie Fox is? I think we sometimes get a little to full of our selves in what we think is important baseball knowledge. Should I be upset that they or anyone here not know who Lamar Johnson is?

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
Why should a couple of teenage girls know who Nellie Fox is? I think we sometimes get a little to full of our selves in what we think is important baseball knowledge. Should I be upset that they or anyone here not know who Lamar Johnson is?

Lamar Johnson was one of my fav players as a kid. He didnt last to long has the Brewers hitting coach.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)

Sorry, but the fact that they thought he was a current member of the White Sox made me laugh (especially when in the same breath the kept telling the guys with them the were "die-hard" Sox fans).

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
dude, i'm totally die hard

nelly fox used to be our catcher that we traded for sammy then dealt to baltimore for buehrle

A person at work asked me if Mark Buehrle was related to Milton Berle.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
More money for the team so I don't care. As long as they're not crazy drunks. You could always educate some fans. Like I always say, you become a fan by becoming a bandwagoner first.

nope, i was born into sox fandom!