Whitesox VS Cubs World Series

Cubs Suck23

They’re taking different paths to the ultimate destination.

Consecutive home losses to the Detroit Tigers aside, the White Sox are in the express lane, cruising toward October.

The Cubs, on the other hand, are weaving in and out of the local lane. They’ve got some dings on the fenders and have lost some tread on the tires, but they’re making pretty steady progress.

Laugh if you want, but don’t be surprised if both the Sox and the Cubs make it all the way to the World Series.

How could this happen you ask? Let’s go right to the pitching.

As the White Sox have been showing all season, it all starts with a strong rotation, and there’s not a better trio in baseball than Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Freddy Garcia.

If the Cubs can keep Mark Prior and Kerry Wood on the mound instead of flat ground, they combine with Carlos Zambrano to form an equally dominant threesome.

The Sox have a superior bullpen with Dustin Hermanson, Cliff Politte, Damaso Marte and Neal Cotts, but Cubs general manager Jim Hendry still has time before the July 31 trade deadline to add another reliever or two.

If Hendry can beef up his bullpen, this pipe dream matchup really has a chance to become a reality.

Let’s hope it does.

Imagine, if you can, what it would be like around here if the White Sox and Cubs were the last two teams standing. The Sox haven’t won a World Series since 1917. The Cubs’ run of futility dates back to 1908.

The two rivals have been going at each other in interleague play since 1997, but the cross-town showdown seems to lose a little steam with each passing year.

Pair the White Sox and Cubs in the World Series, and you’ve really got something.

Locally, the city and suburbs would come to a grinding halt. Nationally, ESPN and other media outlets would be forced to turn their attention away from the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox and that perpetual poker tournament for a week or two.

At this point, a White Sox-Cubs World Series matchup is facing some pretty long odds.

The Cubs aren’t going to chase down St. Louis in the NL Central, but they are very much alive in the wild-card race. Last year, the Red Sox made it to the postseason as the wild card and wound up winning it all.

The year before that, as the Cubs can tell you, the wild-card Florida Marlins won the World Series. And the year before that, the wild-card Anaheim Angels started the trend by winning the Fall Classic.

So it can be done. For the sake of a suffering city, go Cubs go.

As for the White Sox, it’s still way too early to start printing World Series tickets.

For as great as they’ve been, the Sox still must prove they can handle heavyweights like the Red Sox and the Yankees. And shudder over this thought — the White Sox could draw the dreaded Oakland Athletics in the first round of the playoffs.

For whatever reason, the Sox have curled up in a ball at the mere sight of the A’s since 2001, and they’re 2-7 against Oakland this season.

Determining playoff opponents can wait for another day.

For now, in order for the White Sox to get to where they want to go, Orlando “El Duque’’ Hernandez needs to keep his shoulder strong, Hermanson and Joe Crede need to keep their backs limber, and the rest of the Sox need to perform like they’re 1 game out instead of 11 games ahead.

If they can do that, there’s no reason why the Sox can’t advance all the way to the World Series. Hopefully, the Cubs will be there waiting for them.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
If they can do that, there’s no reason why the Sox can’t advance all the way to the World Series. Hopefully, the Cubs will be there waiting for them.

:unsure:

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)

They'll need someone to park their cars, I guess. :fthecubs

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
I would love to face the Cubs in the series so we can kick their ass...

Sox would win in 5 and  the Sox would celebrate the Series win at wrigley in front of those cubs fans crying

Ugh.. I'd hate to win it at their house. I mean.. a wins a win.. I know that.. but I can just imagine the fights, riots, etc.. it would be sick.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
Ugh.. I'd hate to win it at their house. I mean.. a wins a win.. I know that.. but I can just imagine the fights, riots, etc.. it would be sick.

Their is probably be going to be tons of fights&riots in the streets even if we beat the Padres in the world series.

I dont understand why fans have to destroy their city after their team wins a championship..

Edited by Cubs Suck23

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)

And my memory would forever have to include that urinal. :puke

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
Their is probably be going to be tons of fights&riots in the streets even if we beat  the Padres in the world series.

I dont understand why fans fave to destroy their city after their team wins a championship..

I hope I have the chance to say you were wrong.. :cheers

Nationally, ESPN and other media outlets would be forced to turn their attention away from the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox and that perpetual poker tournament for a week or two.

Yea ESPN doesn't hump the scrubs leg......

This reporter was really racking his brain and this is all he could come up with....

The year before that, as the Cubs can tell you, the wild-card Florida Marlins won the World Series. And the year before that, the wild-card Anaheim Angels started the trend by winning the Fall Classic.

As for the White Sox, it’s still way too early to start printing World Series tickets.

For as great as they’ve been, the Sox still must prove they can handle heavyweights like the Red Sox and the Yankees. And shudder over this thought — the White Sox could draw the dreaded Oakland Athletics in the first round of the playoffs.

waiting for them.

Just wow

the cubs have zero chance of even making the playoffs, much less getting to the world series. d lee can only do so much, and by the way, the chances of him winning the triple crown are the chances a snowball has in hell. i hate the cubs. i danced when steve bartman came through huge.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
The cubs have a better chance at the world series right now then we do?

I missed that quote.. can you direct me to it..??

While I wait for that... this is specifically I was referring to with my previous post:

"As for the White Sox, it’s still way too early to start printing World Series tickets.

For as great as they’ve been, the Sox still must prove they can handle heavyweights like the Red Sox and the Yankees."

The Cubs aren’t going to chase down St. Louis in the NL Central, but they are very much alive in the wild-card race. Last year, the Red Sox made it to the postseason as the wild card and wound up winning it all.

I do agree with you steff is it to early but they make it like the world series would be easy for the cubs when they have only shown they can beat the marlins, reds, and pirates.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
I missed that quote.. can you direct me to it..??

While I wait for that... this is specifically I was referring to with my previous post:

"As for the White Sox, it’s still way too early to start printing World Series tickets.

For as great as they’ve been, the Sox still must prove they can handle heavyweights like the Red Sox and the Yankees."

Agreed. I didn't see them saying the Cubs have a better chance than us either.

Also, the playoffs are a different game. Who had the Angels and Marlins winning the World Series at this point of the season in '02 and '03? I think we can still do it though.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Even before Brittle Boy Wood broke down (again) they had no chance. Who is the fkn writer and will he please pass the hydro?

Well, I hate to say it, but they do have a chance. With Atlanta taking over the East, they'll be chasing Washington now, who are showing that they don't have a whole lot of staying power. I personally don't think they'll make it, but they certainly have a shot.

This is BY FAR the WORST article written in the history of the entire universe. BY FAR. The article by the KC reporter who dissed the Sox and now knows that KC = Our b****es wrote a better article than that. This guy was f***ing high on something when he wrote this and the editor who accepted this piece of s*** was probably high as well.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
Well, I hate to say it, but they do have a chance.  With Atlanta taking over the East, they'll be chasing Washington now, who are showing that they don't have a whole lot of staying power.  I personally don't think they'll make it, but they certainly have a shot.

Well of course mathematically they have a chance, but the guy does nothing to show why it might probably happen.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
Well of course mathematically they have a chance, but the guy does nothing to show why it might probably happen.

That is true. The guy who wrote it is actually Sox beat writer Scott Gregor. Not sure what the motive of this article was. If he wants us to root for both teams to make it to the series for the sake of Chicago, I think he's barking up the wrong tree. I think I speak for many when I say that I just want to win a World Series. I couldn't care less in what the Cubs do.

"For the sake of a suffering city"? I'll settle for a suffering half of the city.