Timmay! Kurkjian's take on Burnett

atrain081

TK just said on Sportscenter that the O's and Sawks are losing interest in dealing for Burnett. Kurkjian thinks that we could step in and get him before the deadline. It would be nice to add Burnett. Call me crazy, but I woulda rather had Burnett starting in the Bosox series instead of Duque and Count back to back.

But hey, maybe it can still happen... :)

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
Am I the only one who prays that we don't get Burnett?  We'd give up a ton for someone who I don't think would make a huge difference.

It depends if he goes Carl Pavano on us which is a legiminate possibility and then of course there's the contract.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
DO IT! DO IT! GET TO DA CHOPPA!  ;)

Burnett is a definite upgrade over El Duque, and when he is on, he is better than Count. His ERA is under four. I think it's obvious that KW needs to make some sort of move before the deadline. We need another arm in the bullpen, and/or another bat or starting pitcher. If we had to give up Marte, we could move Jose to the pen. If we lose Contreras, we should try to get a guy in the pen.

I don't necesarilly think that A.J. is the answer, but I do think that we are one or two moves away from being legitimate contenders in the postseason.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 05:11 AM)
ProSportsDaily.com today is quoting the Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel, which says that if Boston obtains Burnett, they might flip him for Billy Wagner. Which would suck a couple of ways, I'd say.

I read somewhere where KW was told the same thing. If he could get them Burnett, they would give him Wagner. I'd much prefer Wagner to Burnett. Its truly questionable whether Burnett is an upgrade over the Count.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 06:45 AM)
I read somewhere where KW was told the same thing. If he could get them Burnett, they would give him Wagner. I'd much prefer Wagner to Burnett. Its truly questionable whether Burnett is an upgrade over the Count.

i think i would prefer wagner to burnett too. the way i look at it, in the playoffs your #4 starter will help you win only one game the whole series. adding wagner to the back end of teh bullpen will push everyone back in the bullpen which will help in winning each and every game. i could be wrong because burnett could be more than a #4 in our staff, but we'll see. i am certain something will be done. who it will be remains uncertain

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
If we trade Contreras for Burnett, we CAN'T flip him for Wagner.  We'd be back in the 5th starter black hole.

Yep. That's why Willie, Felix, and Joe(LTP) for Burnett. Take it or leave it Florida. DO IT DO IT DO IT!! GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!!!!

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
Yep. That's what Willie, Felix, and Joe(LTP) for Burnett. Take it or leave it Florida. DO IT DO IT DO IT!! GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!!!!

I'm going to be Florida.

No.

The question is how much do you want to win a World Series?

If it takes Burnett to get Wagner before the deadline then use BMac & not Contreras to get Burnett.

Maybe BMac is the next great thing, but he's not going to be that THIS YEAR! With Wagner, everybody drops down which makes the pen that much stronger. On paper at least it looks like a 5 inning game in the post season. Even in 2000 we held leads in the post season vs Seattle before it fell apart in each game.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
The question is how much do you want to win a World Series?

If it takes Burnett to get Wagner before the deadline then use BMac & not Contreras to get Burnett.

Maybe BMac is the next great thing, but he's not going to be that THIS YEAR!  With Wagner, everybody drops down which makes the pen that much stronger.  On paper at least it looks like a 5 inning game in the post season. 

Right on.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
On paper at least it looks like a 5 inning game in the post season. 

This may come back to hurt us. Ozzie is not the kind of manager to head a bullpen attack. Most of us feel managing the bullpen is his biggest weakness. The last thing I want to do is force him to do this for almost half a game.

QUOTE(palesox38 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
I'd rather have him than The Cuban Pitching Crisis.

:bang LOL

I would too, but if we could flip him for a Billy Wagner and still keep all 5 of our starters(Burnett is no more effective than Contreras this year) then I rather allow the Cuban Pitching Crisis to keep keepin' on.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
This may come back to hurt us.  Ozzie is not the kind of manager to head a bullpen attack.  Most of us feel managing the bullpen is his biggest weakness.  The last thing I want to do is force him to do this for almost half a game.

The more quality arms he has in the pen, the less he can make a mistake. I don't think there could be many mistakes made with Marte/Politte/Hermanson/Wagner at the end of the pen.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
The more quality arms he has in the pen, the less he can make a mistake.  I don't think there could be many mistakes made with Marte/Politte/Hermanson/Wagner at the end of the pen.

Yeah he can. Using those guys for 1/3rd an inning and putting in Viz to close it out. :bang