Cotts now a bullpen key

greasywheels121

:gosox4:

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Cotts now a bullpen key

Left-hander, formerly a starter, now used to new role

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Neal Cotts was a center fielder for Lebanon (Ill.) High School, during the late 90s, when he last was an every day player on the baseball field.

And before Cotts joined the White Sox bullpen, prior to the start of the 2004 season, the last time he consistently pitched in relief was ... Well, never.

"Once, maybe in college," said Cotts with a smile, following the White Sox's 6-4 victory over Boston, earning the South Siders a four-game split against the defending World Champs. "Otherwise, I never pitched out of the bullpen my whole life.

"I like the role. It suits me pretty well, I think."

It suits Ozzie Guillen and the White Sox even better. Cotts, 25, worked 1 1/3 innings in Sunday's sweltering 100-degreee heat, allowing just one walk to Trot Nixon, the final batter he faced. Cotts stranded runners on first and second in the sixth, ending the threat on Johnny Damon's fly ball to left, and then proceeded to strike out David Ortiz and retire Manny Ramirez on a weak ground ball to second in the seventh.

The fact that Cotts has become such a successful reliever no longer is a surprise. The soft-spoken left-hander has a 2.36 earned run average through 42 appearances, allowing a mere 26 hits over 42 innings, while striking out 45.

But the idea that Cotts doesn't show any battle fatigue, despite seemingly working as frequently as he did when roaming the outfield for the Greyhounds in high school, is an even greater accomplishment. Cotts has appeared in 13 of the 20 White Sox games played during July, including eight of the last 10.

Cotts has given up four earned runs in 11 2/3 innings during the past month. If you take away a July 10th outing against Oakland, in which three of those runs scored, Cotts has been nearly flawless. And anyone following the White Sox realizes that nobody seems to perform well when the A's are involved.

"Some of the games have been three pitches or a couple of batters here and there," said Cotts, who has thrown a combined 174 pitches during July. "It's been nice getting work and getting a rhythm there."

"I've been impressed with Neal from the first day I met Neal," said reliever Cliff Politte. "To be a [25]-year-old kid and have the stuff he has ... nothing ticks him off. If he gives up a few runs, he's back out there ready to go the next day. He's a big key to our success."

Politte need look no further than a mirror to find another major contributor to the White Sox's late-inning magic. The right-hander pitched out of a jam in the eighth Sunday, with two runners on and nobody out, and features a 1.51 ERA over 41 appearances. Much like Cotts, he has given up a paltry 21 hits in 41 2/3 innings.

It's very easy for Politte to relate to Cotts. The 31-year-old veteran made eight starts as a rookie for St. Louis in 1998 before being converted to relief with Philadelphia in 1999. The story was the same for Cotts, who made four starts in 2003 with the White Sox, only to become a full-time rel

iever in 2004.

Now, Guillen calls this pair the "two most underrated players" on his roster. Cotts already filled in more than admirably for Damaso Marte, when the team's left-handed short man was placed on the disabled list on June 30. If Marte is shipped to Florida in the rumored trade for A.J. Burnett, Cotts' bullpen role immediately would become more significant.

That's fine with Cotts, who has thrived as a reliever. He just doesn't know why.

"I don't have a clue. It just feels comfortable down there," said Cotts with an awkward smile. "I guess it has been a little growing up.

"You take your bumps and bruises when they come. Last year helped out a lot. I had some rough patches, where you are either going to learn from them or not stick around here."

Guillen mentioned earlier this season that Cotts now is more likely to be groomed for a future closer's role, as opposed to returning to the starting rotation. Being a closer is not foreign to Cotts, who split the role with another pitcher years ago during summer baseball. Guillen has a little more confidence in Cotts on his own, as evidenced by his status as an everyday pitcher.

"He went out there and learned a lot and now he's a big-league pitcher," said Guillen of Cotts.

"It's a pleasure to work with guys like that," Politte added. "I enjoy being around the guy."

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
I f***ing love Neal Cotts. I know, I was very s***ty towards him earlier but he proved my ass wrong. He shut my ass up! I luuuuuuv Neal!

My only problem with any bullpen guy is when they get super wild and walk the world. Cotts has really turned it around this year. He went from the second coming of Rick Ankiel to being a pretty cool guy to bring out of the pen late in games. Marte on the other hand has regressed.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
My only problem with any bullpen guy is when they get super wild and walk the world.  Cotts has really turned it around this year.  He went from the second coming of Rick Ankiel to being a pretty cool guy to bring out of the pen late in games. Marte on the other hand has regressed.

Add me to the Jenksy club!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang

QUOTE(professionalfan @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
It's amazing what can happen when a player is given time to mature.  I wonder how some of our other pitchers we have tried out in the past couple of years would be doing if they got as much time as Cotts.  Makes you wonder.

Felix Diaz will never be as good as Cotts because his stuff isnt that great and he isnt that great of a control pitcher. Arnie Munoz on the other hand he can have a good career in the bullpen.

I guess that closes the book on him ever being a starter again *sigh*. The day he "temporarily" got converted to middle relief was the day I thought "uh-oh, he will never start again", despite assurances from others to the contrary. At least I am pleased with the value he now adds to the team and that he likes the role of reliever. Otherwise it would seem a cruel irony for him to earn a "demotion" by excelling in a role he may not have wanted.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
I guess that closes the book on him ever being a starter again *sigh*.  The day he "temporarily" got converted to middle relief was the day I thought "uh-oh, he will never start again", despite assurances from others to the contrary.  At least I am pleased with the value he now adds to the team and that he likes the role of reliever.  Otherwise it would seem a cruel irony for him to earn a "demotion" by excelling in a role he may not have wanted.

I think that in a few years you'll really be surprised how much people will be giving up for a quality relief pitcher, especially a left handed one...both in terms of players and cash.

Think about this...let's say Cotts was still a starter and was putting up average numbers. If you were Boston, would you prefer to pick him up as a starter or as a reliever? A dominant relief pitcher is starting to turn into a more valuable commodity than a .500 W/L starter, and probably deservedly so.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
I think that in a few years  you'll really be surprised how much people will be giving up for a quality relief pitcher, especially a left handed one...both in terms of players and cash.

Think about this...let's say Cotts was still a starter and was putting up average numbers.  If you were Boston, would you prefer to pick him up as a starter or as a reliever?  A dominant relief pitcher is starting to turn into a more valuable commodity than a .500 W/L starter, and probably deservedly so.

Yes, I agree those are good points, and reassuring too. Like I said, I am just happy Neal relishes his bullpen role. It does seem like a catch-22 though. If Neal really had dreams of being a starter, then what could he have done to earn it back once he was put in the pen. Would he have had to have been less effective in the pen? Something tells me that if he had any problems whatsoever relieving, the Sox would have been even less likely to let him start again then they are now. So, just out of curiosity, what would he have had to do be be a starter again? :huh

SFF